wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

kenyan bank cards for online shopping
Eavns
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 1:28:59 PM

Hello wazuans am looking forward to do some online shopping from international vendors, which is the most convenient widely accepted Kenyan bank card to use between KCB Pepea Prepaid Mastercard, CBA loop (Mastercard), Safaricom I&M Mpesa Visa Card and Equity visa/ master cards.kindly advise me on the best bet choice that can guarantee a smooth online payment process with fewer no hitches at all
Gathige
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 1:47:45 PM

Eavns wrote:
Hello wazuans am looking forward to do some online shopping from international vendors, which is the most convenient widely accepted Kenyan bank card to use between KCB Pepea Prepaid Mastercard, CBA loop (Mastercard), Safaricom I&M Mpesa Visa Card and Equity visa/ master cards.kindly advise me on the best bet choice that can guarantee a smooth online payment process with fewer no hitches at all

Just get any pre paid card that is Visa or Mastercard branded and you are ready to go. Then just load the approximate amount of the purchase you intend to make. That way, no risk of fraud
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Eavns
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 4:06:01 PM

Gathige wrote:
Eavns wrote:

Just get any pre paid card that is Visa or Mastercard branded and you are ready to go. Then just load the approximate amount of the purchase you intend to make. That way, no risk of fraud

@Thanks @Gathige for enlightening me on that i do appreciate .
snifadog
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2018 2:58:34 PM

the Nakumatt global card used to work well but it has been discontinued, no new stock of cards. The I&M card works very well. Another secure way to do online shopping is to attach the card to your paypal account and use paypal to pay while doing the shopping..be careful of the mechanics of exchange rates when loading the card and when making payment..it can be shocking..
winmak
#5 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 9:24:29 PM

eBay tends to reject these prepaids, for some reason (caused me to be banned for late payment), so I resorted to paypal but one loses 4.44% to paypal and the exchange rate seems to be 109 to the dollar!!! SO I am thinking credit cards are the way to go
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Swenani
#6 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 9:54:57 PM

if you're not resisting, get a usd credit card fromm CBA
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
winmak
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:59:04 AM

Swenani wrote:

hahaha... Kwanza tuapishe baba leo, then I will unresist
Eavns
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:51:40 AM

Swenani wrote:

Hey @swenani must you have an account with cba so as to get the Usd credit card ?
Eavns
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:54:26 AM

snifadog wrote:
the Nakumatt global card used to work well but it has been discontinued, no new stock of cards. The I&M card works very well. Another secure way to do online shopping is to attach the card to your paypal account and use paypal to pay while doing the shopping..be careful of the mechanics of exchange rates when loading the card and when making payment..it can be shocking..

@Snifadog have you used the I&m card and what your experience with the card so far I haven't heard any major complains about this card.
Swenani
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:55:47 PM

Eavns wrote:
Swenani wrote:

Hey @swenani must you have an account with cba so as to get the Usd credit card ?

No, atleast for the platnum credit card but you should demonstrate that you have an income in a hardcurrency
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Cv254K
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 04, 2018 2:59:55 AM

winmak wrote:
eBay tends to reject these prepaids, for some reason (caused me to be banned for late payment), so I resorted to paypal but one loses 4.44% to paypal and the exchange rate seems to be 109 to the dollar!!! SO I am thinking credit cards are the way to go

How are you losing 4.4% via paypal? Whenever I have used it, over a decade now, it has been charging the fees/commissions to the merchants, NOT the buyer. However, after some transaction ceiling is reached, you have to verify your details (KYC) stuff (upload documents to verify identity). But Kenyan banks' exchange rates usually have a big spread between buying and selling rates. Watakunyonya hapo, even though paypal nowadays has the alternative to choose their exchange rate (charge card in kshs) or choose the bank's rate (charge card in transaction currency).

A prepaid card that I have been using (also for a decade or so), with no issues so far, is Payoneer (a Mastercard). You can have one denominated in USD, Euro, or GBP. If you have income being paid via it in these currencies, you can get approved for other services like mass payments and linking to a U.S. checking account. The checking account can allow you to deposit funds from Paypal to the Card. But the card has maintenance charges that depend on activity and commissions charged on transactions. Their exchange rates are based on mastercard-published rates. However, a lot of regulation on such cards coming up in the EU, and lately, as per recent terms updates, I am not sure whether new accounts have the capability to get linked to the checking account.
Eavns
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 04, 2018 4:29:31 PM

Cv254K wrote:
winmak wrote:

How are you losing 4.4% via paypal? Whenever I have used it, over a decade now, it has been charging the fees/commissions to the merchants, NOT the buyer. However, after some transaction ceiling is reached, you have to verify your details (KYC) stuff (upload documents to verify identity). But Kenyan banks' exchange rates usually have a big spread between buying and selling rates. Watakunyonya hapo, even though paypal nowadays has the alternative to choose their exchange rate (charge card in kshs) or choose the bank's rate (charge card in transaction currency).

A prepaid card that I have been using (also for a decade or so), with no issues so far, is Payoneer (a Mastercard). You can have one denominated in USD, Euro, or GBP. If you have income being paid via it in these currencies, you can get approved for other services like mass payments and linking to a U.S. checking account. The checking account can allow you to deposit funds from Paypal to the Card. But the card has maintenance charges that depend on activity and commissions charged on transactions. Their exchange rates are based on mastercard-published rates. However, a lot of regulation on such cards coming up in the EU, and lately, as per recent terms updates, I am not sure whether new accounts have the capability to get linked to the checking account.

Thanks for sharing n enlightening us on the cards
winmak
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 04, 2018 6:55:41 PM

Cv254K wrote:
winmak wrote:

I got invoiced by some Chinese company after shopping on Ali Baba and PayPal clearly alerted me of a 4.44% service charge. Unless you are on some premium account that doesn't levy this
Cv254K
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 2:57:30 AM

winmak wrote:
Cv254K wrote:
winmak wrote:

I got invoiced by some Chinese company after shopping on Ali Baba and PayPal clearly alerted me of a 4.44% service charge. Unless you are on some premium account that doesn't levy this

I don't think it has anything to do with type of account. I think the Chinese Company you dealt with loaded the Paypal merchant fees (see merchants fees here) on the price, like the way someone would quote prices exclusive of VAT, but you eventually pay VAT inclusive prices. In all stuff I have bought (eBay, Alibaba), The sellers I have bought from usually have factored such fees in their pricing, and thus I do not pay additional fees above the displayed prices.It could be less costly for Chinese merchants to use other processors (like Alipay, Alibaba's paypal competitor) on Alibaba, and thus they could have an incentive to make you choose the alternatives. But the only reason I use Paypal instead of using the cards 'directly' for shopping is security - card fraud.
Eavns
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 5:24:24 PM

Hey guys and just Before we wish away this thread we have a new development that you should check out here https://www.businessdail...4174-dqw900z/index.html Do I say This deal couldn't have come at a better time. Your thoughts.