wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Politics of Water in Nairobi
Realtreaty
#1 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 9:34:21 PM

Water is Life but in Nairobi it is Money

The Nairobi water company under the County council has left almost all Nairobians destitute and unable to get what the body is supposed to do.

Cartels have taken water sources and systems to make Money from poor Kenyans who are rent seekers whose 25% of the house spaces they rent if filled with water containers that they buy to drink, wash etc

Cartels inform of Land lords have taken advantage and are charging rent seekers exorbitant amounts for water irregularly secured by them.

How are these lords getting water during the rations?
People have become corrupt to the extent that they have tampered with the Nairobi Company pipework where they dig and connect larger than required connecting lines and at wrong points upstream of others and even fixing "Sucker Pumps" to drain water into their dug down tanks and raised reservoirs.
It is common thing that a flat next to you can get too much water while you get nothing due to illegal connections involving "Sucker" pumps(Suction Pumps).

These cartels then can sell the water to the poor lot making good money that enable them to even buy tanker trucks.
The lie they tell is they have boreholes for those people who do not know what sucker pumps do.

Its defeats logic no one ever ask where Sonko get water from that he distributes with his Sonko Rescue tankers.

Its time the County and National Govt banned selling of water in Nairobi by others apart from Nairobi water Company through its network as per the county bylaws

Its only NWC that can license other water companies to dig and sell water to NWC and as independent suppliers as Power Generating companies do.

Through this contract we can see near counties like Kiambu building dams to supply water to Nairobi Water company at a fee....?

Can we have the Kwabira dam in Limuru rejuvenated and fenced off for this purpose by a Chinese builder to a depth good enough to boost water for Nairobi?

Next Governor of Nairobi will be elected on Water policy.
There is no longer "cool"water in Nairobi....its Cartel water and the President must whack some people if his healthy policy has to work!!!
majimaji
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:00:31 PM

Following.
wukan
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:36:46 PM

The Kibaki administration dropped the ball on the nairobi water situation. Baba Moi had implemented the Third Nairobi Water Supply project which catered for water supply, treatment and transmission capacity as well as sewage treatment capacity for Nairobi residents up to 2010. The final report of this project had indicated water supply would only last up to 2005 during which period new water sources would need to developed. That new capacity is the northern collector tunnel which should up and running around 2020(10 years late)
Angelica _ann
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:38:48 PM

What a mess Kidero left us in 047!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Toxicity
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:32:52 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

I hope the current one will sort it....
update president set president = speaker where president is null
KulaRaha
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:38:08 PM

Toxicity wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

I hope the current one will sort it....

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Fyatu
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:32:22 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

I beg to differ. Not Kidero.Kidero is innocent.

Kenya is the only country where such BS/injustices goes on unabated. A serious government(that loves its people) cannot allow this to happen. Look everywhere and see how everything that is is not supposed to go wrong does....from public transport to housing to education...

Which reminds me of a Kenyan proverb i heard yesterday in the pub...

"If they cannot provide free secondary education, how can they deliver 500,000 low cost houses?...resident drunk
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Realtreaty
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:55:46 PM

Majority or all of us have 1/8 of their houses occupied by water containers while they pay Council or landlord for air from pipes

Who knows the where the water we buy from peddlers outside my house in mikokoteni come from?
Our rain come and we dig sewers for water to flow faster away but we have none to drink after two days of rain as pipes are still dry.

The Sasumua river has dried up that gathers water for Sasumua dam that supplies Nairobi reason being 90% of the dams and pods upstream were buried by silt and became land for people to garden.

The Sasumua silt has never been removed. This is mere milking a cow without feeding it and we have Directors, Ministers, PS, for Water. They just sit in the office, smoke, drink coffee and move to bars as they get paid for nothing. Mere sitting ducks.

Time rent is brought down as water is no longer available in there houses

Some line modification is corruptly being done by some of the council workers draining all available rationed water to some few cartels to sell.
Realtreaty
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:55:23 PM

Sad
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/economy/Sonko-blames-leaky-pipes-poor-storage-water-shortage-slums/3946234-4267028-hlx0bfz/index.html

What is Leaking is my pipe in the morning AFTER DRINKING BUSAA for there is no water.

We know why Nairobi and Mombasa are dirty. We need to deny Indians such contracts as they are very corrupt and employ weak and dirty staff members who do nothing as money is cleverly passed over to city godfathers.
Time to give Indian contractors a taste of their medicine.

Can anyone tell me who built the bridge at Wakulima market, retail market on Ladhies road and one at Burma market.....same Indians?
Swenani
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:02:52 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

This is RAO's fault
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:15:18 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Kenya is the only country where such BS/injustices goes on unabated. A serious government(that loves its people) cannot allow this to happen. Look everywhere and see how everything that is is not supposed to go wrong does....from public transport to housing to education...

"If they cannot provide free secondary education, how can they deliver 500,000 low cost houses?...resident drunk

How dare you? Kidero has never been proven innocent of anything in his life.

BBI will solve it
:)
Fyatu
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:25:15 AM

2012 wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

How dare you? Kidero has never been proven innocent of anything in his life.

On this one, i personally exonerate him. Ukweli wa mambo is that despite our kizungu mingi na catwalk, we are a f***ed up shithole/nation where there is no dignity for humans. I took a train from Syoks to CBD and saw how our lame government has allowed vibatos(iron sheet shacks) to mushroom on Railway land. I am told folk in these slums shit on jualas and fling the contents on rooftops. The other day someone was trying to sell me a 33 by 66 plot of land and he was talking about how middle class are buying and building homes...surely??? A friend of mine told me that these kind of plots are known as "points" in Eldoret and that is the reason why Eldoret will be one big slum(competing against Mombasa) in a not so distant future....My bro told me in parts of Kiambu(mwihoko etc) there are 25 by 40 plots(sasa hii ni nini?)...The question is how do you provide infrastructure (water, sewage,barabara) in such areas? The guy in charge of land matters(Swazuri a.ka. bwana ya Mishi mboko) is gallivanting in Mombasa trying to stop efforts by Museums of Kenya to save Fort Jesus. Which leads me to the question...is Kenya the only country where the so called professors are outrightly dumb??

Sasa mnataka tufanye nini jameni??

Meanwhile, neighboring nations that we love to despise are restoring order and discipline and are headed to greater heights.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Mike Ock
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:36:10 PM

Even without the water cartels, water for every Nairobian would be a problem. The root cause of all Nairobi's problems is over crowding. The reason for the overcrowding is that Nairobi is the only place where there is serious economic opportunity for most Kenyans(or at least that is the perception) so everyone flocks huko causing big pressure on the local resources. We need to be serious with devolution, it is the key to solving a lot of Kenya's problems. Maybe a few visionary governors can develop several powerhouse counties that Kenyans can look for opportunities in
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:47:43 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
Even without the water cartels, water for every Nairobian would be a problem. The root cause of all Nairobi's problems is over crowding. The reason for the overcrowding is that Nairobi is the only place where there is serious economic opportunity for most Kenyans(or at least that is the perception) so everyone flocks huko causing big pressure on the local resources. We need to be serious with devolution, it is the key to solving a lot of Kenya's problems. Maybe a few visionary governors can develop several powerhouse counties that Kenyans can look for opportunities in

I do not agree. The problem is cartels. This one you cannot even blame poor planning or unwillingness. Just like KPLC, Nairobi Water has it's engineers and experts to map out the city and provide the service. All the major cities in the world are growing with many growing faster than Nairobi so these are just excuses. Remember that the affluent Nairobians have dug their boreholes some as close as 10 meters apart so the real victim here is the middle class and we know the middle class in Kenya is also known as the coward class.

BBI will solve it
:)
hardwood
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:17:59 PM

Realtreaty wrote:
Majority or all of us have 1/8 of their houses occupied by water containers while they pay Council or landlord for air from pipes

Who knows the where the water we buy from peddlers outside my house in mikokoteni come from?
Our rain come and we dig sewers for water to flow faster away but we have none to drink after two days of rain as pipes are still dry.

The Sasumua river has dried up that gathers water for Sasumua dam that supplies Nairobi reason being 90% of the dams and pods upstream were buried by silt and became land for people to garden.

The Sasumua silt has never been removed. This is mere milking a cow without feeding it and we have Directors, Ministers, PS, for Water. They just sit in the office, smoke, drink coffee and move to bars as they get paid for nothing. Mere sitting ducks.

Time rent is brought down as water is no longer available in there houses

Some line modification is corruptly being done by some of the council workers draining all available rationed water to some few cartels to sell.

Sad that many nairobians do not know the joy of having running tap water......or having "a shower". Kweli the country is a $hithole.
wukan
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:37:38 PM

Mike Ock wrote:

Nairobi is not overcrowded at all. It's only 4 million people resident here. Been to Lagos utashangaa, watu wengi sana!! or Hong Kong where they have "coffin cubicles" Nairobi bedsitters are way much better. Even the vehicles in Nairobi are not that many the vehicle density is still low for cities of comparable size. The problem is just urban planning and our culture of low maintenance of public facilities.

Kidero is innocent on the water issue. 11 billion in county revenues will not build you water dams or maintain water pipes. That's central govt issue.
hardwood
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:28:18 PM

Kiambu and Muranga should be paid for the water they supply to nairobi. And also for power generated from their hydro power stations. If turkana is set to get 30% for their oil, then kiambu and muranga should also get 30% of water and power revenues since water is a natural resource just like oil.
majimaji
#18 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 9:30:17 AM

hardwood wrote:
Kiambu and Muranga should be paid for the water they supply to nairobi. And also for power generated from their hydro power stations. If turkana is set to get 30% for their oil, then kiambu and muranga should also get 30% of water and power revenues since water is a natural resource just like oil.

Most importantly, Kiambu-Murang'a people also need the water. Now it is being given for free to people in Nairobi who don't even respect them.
kawi254
#19 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 10:45:09 AM

majimaji wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Most importantly, Kiambu-Murang'a people also need the water. Now it is being given for free to people in Nairobi who don't even respect them.

Aren't Kiambu & Muranga people not Nairobi people?...the mass migration that happens on 25th Dec on Thika road confirms this.
hardwood
#20 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 1:00:43 PM

majimaji wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Exactly. Nairobi should only get water after everyone in kiambu and muranga has had enough. Can you imagine your neighbour tapping water at the water-well on your farm/plot and piping it to his home leaving you with none? This is the height of impunity.