wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Homelessness
tycho
#1 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 11:53:20 PM

Among my problems for many years now, has been that of being homeless.

As a child, I felt it intuitively, even when I had shelter... And it's taken me the experience of being without a shelter now, that I've finally began to realize what a home is, and what homelessness means.

Per chance, is there anyone here who's ever been homeless, or is presently homeless?
Angelica _ann
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:53:33 AM

My home is Kenya.....
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Swenani
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:06:56 AM

tycho wrote:

As a child, I felt it intuitively, even when I had shelter... And it's taken me the experience of being without a shelter now, that I've finally began to realize what a home is, and what homelessness means.

Per chance, is there anyone here who's ever been homeless, or is presently homeless?

Many men are homeless though they have a shelter, wife and kids
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
MugundaMan
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:57:21 AM

tycho wrote:

Pole tycho. What happened? Homelessness can happen to anyone. One major misfortune and one is done in. Don't you have any relatives in Nairobi (I assume that's your location from what you've listed) that can host you? Pole tena.
Speculz
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:09:51 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
tycho wrote:

Pole tycho. What happened? Homelessness can happen to anyone. One major misfortune and one is done in. Don't you have any relatives in Nairobi (I assume that's your location from what you've listed) that can host you? Pole tena.

You may need to go through more of Tycho's posts to grasp this.
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Stephen Wright
Jump-steady
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:00:51 PM

Speculz wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
tycho wrote:

Not advisablesmile
tycho
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:20:02 PM

I think this link covers the matter well enough for a basic understanding of home.

Quote:
Better explanations of homelessness must therefore not only take account of the full
range of meanings of homelessness, but also place homelessness in the broader contexts
both of poverty and the housing system

https://pdfs.semanticsch...5f2aeda982c07af053c3.pdf
tycho
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:51:28 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
tycho wrote:

@MugundaMan, I think my whole life has been an unsuccessful attempt at being at home, or even finding home. There hasn't been a break. Only a degradation or a shifting of position in the same level.

If for example, I were to work with the seven dimensions of home, then the highest I've scored is 3.

Quote:
Home can be argued to have at least six or seven dimensions of meaning, identified
by the ‘key signifiers’ of shelter, hearth, heart, privacy, roots, abode and (possibly) paradise.
Each of these signifiers can be explicated in terms of its wider symbolic meaning (its ‘general
connotation’), its evocation of a specific sense of security, and its characteristic mode
of relating to oneself and to others. The selection of the signifiers is supported by Watson and Austerberry’s (1986) empirical findings - for example, ‘shelter’ corresponds to decent
‘material conditions’, ‘hearth’ corresponds to ‘emotional and physical well-being’, ‘heart’
to ‘loving and caring social relations’, ‘privacy’ to ‘control and privacy’, and ‘abode’ to ‘livinghleeping place’. Two signifiers have been added to these, however, namely ‘roots’
(which corresponds to a sense of individual identity) and ‘paradise’ (which connotes ‘ideal
home’ as distinct from the home of everyday life). Taken together, all these signifiers
comprise the meaning of home.

During my childhood there was 1. Shelter 2.Privacy 3. Abode

Then there was a time I lost all the seven attributes of home

Later I got 1. Shelter 2. Privacy 3. Abode

Now I have 1. Heart 2. Roots 3.Paradise

Maybe my situation is a bit better now... But there it is.
tycho
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:05:55 PM

In my estimation, a home is the nexus of persons, objects, relations, and core ideas, that give identity, role and purpose to an individual; and is the source of nourishment and sustenance of the particular individual.

Home makes or creates humanity. To be homeless is to be dehumanized.

But is there a way we can attribute this dehumanization to a specific cause?

There's a radical politics seething beneath this issue of homelessness that I fear I may scald or burn if I open the lid 'mindlessly'.
tycho
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:32:30 PM

ZZE123
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:41:11 PM

Jump-steady wrote:
Speculz wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
tycho wrote:

Not advisablesmile

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
masukuma
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:36:44 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
Jump-steady wrote:
Speculz wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
tycho wrote:

Not advisablesmile

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Ngai.. nani anajaribu kufuata posts za tycho?
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
MugundaMan
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:52:08 PM

tycho wrote:

@MugundaMan, I think my whole life has been an unsuccessful attempt at being at home, or even finding home. There hasn't been a break. Only a degradation or a shifting of position in the same level.

If for example, I were to work with the seven dimensions of home, then the highest I've scored is 3.

Ahaa I get you now, brother. You seem to be in the predicament somewhat like a blind man in a dark room groping for non-existent cats to bell. Keep on with the quest. And more importantly, keep hope alive."Home" as you uniquely define it will surely be. Warm regards.
Lolest!
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:55:33 PM

Speculz wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
tycho wrote:

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
tycho
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:40:38 PM

I now realize that I'm homeless because I'm disappointed with love, or the promise of love.

And this disappointment has been concealed by a furious optimism, that accompanies my search. My journeying.

My inner unsettlement. An inner contradiction of humanity.

Home, is the heart. Where is the heart?

Oh what joy, that the heart is also the tree? Oh what joy!

Home, truly is heaven.

My wandering, my loneliness, tears I shed in secret, all the bitter stuff I stomach!

And in the breath. The breath.

I find home.
aemathenge
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:02:19 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
tycho wrote:

Ahaa I get you now, brother. You seem to be in the predicament somewhat like a blind man in a dark room groping for non-existent cats to bell. Keep on with the quest. And more importantly, keep hope alive."Home" as you uniquely define it will surely be. Warm regards.

OOooooHOoooiiiiiii

WaMugunda......

Heheheheeeeeee

My KaSweetie has a penchant for speaking in tongues.

Of late her favorite one is the following:

Utajua hujui.

By the way, welcome to the Virtual Republic of Wazua.
aemathenge
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:21:33 PM

tycho wrote:
I now realize that I'm homeless because I'm disappointed with love, or the promise of love.

And this disappointment has been concealed by a furious optimism, that accompanies my search. My journeying.

Home, truly is heaven.

My wandering, my loneliness, tears I shed in secret, all the bitter stuff I stomach!

I find home.

tycho wrote:

Home, truly is heaven.

I find home.

For those of you who came in late, the following is what Tycho(I) is trying to say.

By the way, the best way to understand The Whole of Tycho is to prick him so that Tycho(IV) comes out.

Translation:

It is Njaanuary.

The Mrs and the children had become accustomed to pampering that comes with the money pouring associated with the Festive Season.

Trips to the Coast(?)

Unrestricted Shopping at the Top Malls.

The Hiring of a Top Range Recreational Active Vehicle (RAV) for injunctions to maternal and paternal in-laws GichagiSides.

Toys for Jnr a new Mountain bike perhaps, what do you get the girl child as a Christmas gift these days. I have forgotten. Mine is 22 this year but I digress for that is another nightmare story for another thread.

Now the money is gone. Its sweltering hot and the landlord does not want to know. Or is it the mortgage bank demanding their installment or hell.

In short, being at home is stress.

But What am I telling you folks that you do not know about Njaanuary.

Oh. There is that last part. About the breath. That means that he is finally found solace in his eeeee Gachungwa?

tycho
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:23:32 PM

You guys remind me of the movie 'American psycho'. Bateman Kills the homeless.

He can't understand the homeless. He hates them in fact.

Yet he himself he has no home.

He cries to his friends, But they don't believe him.

What next for him?

Little wonder I've always wondered whether I'm a psycho.

Of course I've been a psycho.

You must be psychos.

Look at how cold and unfeeling you are!
tycho
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:27:05 PM

Yes. The breath is the Gachungwa. My mother my lover.

Oh what a home!
aemathenge
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:36:34 PM

tycho wrote:
You guys remind me of the movie 'American psycho'. Bateman Kills the homeless.

He can't understand the homeless. He hates them in fact.

Yet he himself he has no home.

He cries to his friends, But they don't believe him.

What next for him?

Little wonder I've always wondered whether I'm a psycho.

Of course I've been a psycho.

You must be psychos.

Look at how cold and unfeeling you are!

I do not hate the homeless.

I am homeless myself, how can I therefore hate the other homeless soul who is homeless because of the same set of circumstances?

You have cried to us, but your mistake was in assuming we are not as homeless as you are.

Indeed what is next for us all? What indeed.

We persevere. Like the men of men who went before us and the men we are nurturing to come after us.

And yes you are a psycho. My type of psycho. Because beneath all that facade, lies a better man than I am.

And hug your Gachungwa even closer for as December went, so shall Njaanuary go.