wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Who Would Like to Invest In Patenting an Invention?
sparkly
#21 Posted : Tuesday, January 09, 2018 12:49:36 PM

EngineerLMG wrote:
Thank you all.
My apologies for appearing petulant.

Similarly apologize for pushing you too hard.

The message as you can see from the thread is that in addition to patenting, you need to think of how to make money from the invention.
Life is short. Live passionately.
mkenyan
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:46:03 PM

sparkly wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:
Thank you all.
My apologies for appearing petulant.

Similarly apologize for pushing you too hard.

The message as you can see from the thread is that in addition to patenting, you need to think of how to make money from the invention.

patenting always and must always come first. someone might beat you to it and also once it has been exposed (prior art) you have only 12 months within which to apply otherwise you are locked out.
mkenyan
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:51:46 PM

sparkly wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:
Stiffler wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Sounds like an ugali maker...

Loll
I think it is a Dishwasher ....

No. The other person's right.

Does anyone actually want to fund this? Or is Wazua a place for investors in the stockmarket only?

Patenting costs are not much. 200K top including legal fees.
Question is if you have acumen to make money from the product. Have you identified some one to manufacture the equipment? is the manufacturer local or foreign? distributors? Who will finance the initial stock to distributor? Do you want to licence the product to a manufacturer in return for royalties?

patent costs are very expensive. hiyo yako ya 200k is exceedingly optimistic. official fees are indeed low (if protection is sought in kenya only) but the professional is where the damage is. if you want protection in more than kenya then even the official fees are way high
mkenyan
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:57:51 PM

EngineerLMG wrote:
I invented a device, I need to patent it, but I don't have the cash to do that (I'm a broke student, so please spare me).

Legally, I can't disclose/explain the invention. KIPI's rules. All I can say is that it is meant to be used in the kitchen, and will greatly help very many African cooks.

Who's willing to help me pay the patenting fees for this device?

I don't need to say that we'll sign an agreement for you to get a portion of any profits made from the invention, do I? I do? Well, we will sign an agreement for you to get a portion of any profits made. There, I've said it.

Anyone willing to invest in African solutions for African problems, do get in touch.

Shukran.

there are few qualified patent agents in kenya. most if not all are advocates and not engineers and thus it would be a struggle to get a cost effective one to do the claims, description etc.

best go to kipi, identify the relevant examiner (engineering, medical etc) and ask them to draw for you the patent papers at a reasonable fee. then once done file and prosecute the application. if you want protection in kenya only the official fees wont be high but if you want to cover africa (15 countries through aripo) or worldwide (pct) then you need serious money.
sparkly
#25 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:58:24 PM

mkenyan wrote:
EngineerLMG wrote:
I invented a device, I need to patent it, but I don't have the cash to do that (I'm a broke student, so please spare me).

Legally, I can't disclose/explain the invention. KIPI's rules. All I can say is that it is meant to be used in the kitchen, and will greatly help very many African cooks.

Who's willing to help me pay the patenting fees for this device?

I don't need to say that we'll sign an agreement for you to get a portion of any profits made from the invention, do I? I do? Well, we will sign an agreement for you to get a portion of any profits made. There, I've said it.

Anyone willing to invest in African solutions for African problems, do get in touch.

Shukran.

there are few qualified patent agents in kenya. most if not all are advocates and not engineers and thus it would be a struggle to get a cost effective one to do the claims, description etc.

best go to kipi, identify the relevant examiner (engineering, medical etc) and ask them to draw for you the patent papers at a reasonable fee. then once done file and prosecute the application. if you want protection in kenya only the official fees wont be high but if you want to cover africa (15 countries through aripo) or worldwide (pct) then you need serious money.

I hope he is listening.
Life is short. Live passionately.