wazua Thu, Jan 18, 2018
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Food Truck Business
shanoka
#1 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2017 10:54:47 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 8/21/2017
Posts: 25
Does anyone know how much food trucks cost to buy and where one can get one? Has anyone had or heard of other people's experiences in this business?
KulaRaha
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:27:09 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/26/2007
Posts: 6,013
Kanjo will make your life hell....Kenya is not ready ...we are still in the stone age.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
deadpoet
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:58:39 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 9/27/2006
Posts: 360
There's a stationary food truck at the Alchemist in Westlands. You might be able to get some info there. As for the mobile ones, you would probably be the first in Nairobi.
shanoka
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:44:36 AM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 8/21/2017
Posts: 25
deadpoet wrote:
There's a stationary food truck at the Alchemist in Westlands. You might be able to get some info there. As for the mobile ones, you would probably be the first in Nairobi.



Thanks
deadpoet
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:28:48 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 9/27/2006
Posts: 360
I think its a good idea and you should pursue it. You're thinking of trucks like these?

https://www.google.com/s...mp;biw=1180&bih=883

I think you can probably corner areas like Upper Hill where there are many office buildings but few eateries. I remember I worked on Mombasa road in one of those buildings along the highway a while back. There was no food shop within the building, but an enterprising lady with a car would come everyday with cooked food to serve the people in the building.

She would park her car at the basement and would basically serve food from the boot. She probably had at least 50 customers on a bad day. She also likely didn't have to deal with kanjo having such a niche market that was out of the way.

I once toyed with the idea of bringing in a New York style hotdog stand, but didn't have the money at the time.
tony stark
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:49:06 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 7/8/2008
Posts: 718
But what really stops this food truck business. Is there a by-law that states a non stationary kitchen is forbidden. Is it based in law.
I think if someone is kitchwa ngumu and starts the business it might actually take of. But food trucks are not cheap!

deadpoet wrote:
I think its a good idea and you should pursue it. You're thinking of trucks like these?

https://www.google.com/s...mp;biw=1180&bih=883

I think you can probably corner areas like Upper Hill where there are many office buildings but few eateries. I remember I worked on Mombasa road in one of those buildings along the highway a while back. There was no food shop within the building, but an enterprising lady with a car would come everyday with cooked food to serve the people in the building.

She would park her car at the basement and would basically serve food from the boot. She probably had at least 50 customers on a bad day. She also likely didn't have to deal with kanjo having such a niche market that was out of the way.

I once toyed with the idea of bringing in a New York style hotdog stand, but didn't have the money at the time.

Mike Ock
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:18:09 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 1/22/2015
Posts: 524
deadpoet wrote:
There's a stationary food truck at the Alchemist in Westlands. You might be able to get some info there. As for the mobile ones, you would probably be the first in Nairobi.


Mama Rocks burgers. They have a strategy of taking their truck to high class events. It works for them, they always have queues at events. There's also a tiny one at Koinange Street that is stationary. I also recall one being next to USIU but I've not been there in years.
MatataMingi
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:55:17 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 11/17/2009
Posts: 321
Location: Where everyone knows you
Farmers Choice used to have one, that was always at events.
sanity
#9 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2017 6:25:10 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 1/24/2011
Posts: 400
Location: Nairobi,Kenya
shanoka wrote:
Does anyone know how much food trucks cost to buy and where one can get one? Has anyone had or heard of other people's experiences in this business?



Try Sheffields, Mombasa road near SGR
Hope is not a strategy
shanoka
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:23:34 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 8/21/2017
Posts: 25
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the suggestions.
shanoka
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:27:22 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 8/21/2017
Posts: 25
deadpoet wrote:
I think its a good idea and you should pursue it. You're thinking of trucks like these?

https://www.google.com/s...mp;biw=1180&bih=883




Yes, like that....or if cheaper, unmotorised like this
https://www.google.com/s......0i67k1.0.jiTlkjG6b9k
deadpoet
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 01, 2017 10:31:28 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 9/27/2006
Posts: 360
shanoka wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
I think its a good idea and you should pursue it. You're thinking of trucks like these?

https://www.google.com/s...mp;biw=1180&bih=883




Yes, like that....or if cheaper, unmotorised like this
https://www.google.com/s......0i67k1.0.jiTlkjG6b9k


I suppose those versions can easily be fabricated in China via sites like Alibaba. All that's left is capital, a good business plan, and will.

You could specialize in sandwiches.
madhaquer
#13 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 12:45:54 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 11/10/2010
Posts: 161
Location: Nairobi
My observation on this food trucks is that their success depends alot on the culture and habits of your customers.

I saw one setup in upperhill only to close after 2 months largely because their price and convenience could not compete with the food shacks we have today.

Working class Kenyans will look to spend between 100 - 200 on lunch and the habit is usually to sit and eat while talking/socializing. A food truck is mainly for take away or for eating on the move.

Think about your location and your target customers.
Kratos
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:52:41 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 1,688
Had the same idea way back and came across this company Quantum Trailers Ltd. My idea was more events oriented rather than just a stationary food kiosk. I didn't have time to do market research but I believe this business is untapped.


“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.” ― Walter C. Langer
Victor S. Lasseter
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:30:22 PM
Rank: Hello


Joined: 11/21/2017
Posts: 4
Location: USA
This is such a great idea to start a food truck business. But the key is to make foods that your local people will love to eat. There are companies who rent mobile food trucks, although I am not sure how much they charge.
pmillerakin
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:08:58 AM
Rank: Hello


Joined: 1/9/2018
Posts: 1
A new food truck is coming to Nairobi next month. Watch for news about our launch here....smile
obiero
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 09, 2018 7:16:38 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/23/2009
Posts: 7,918
Location: nairobi
MatataMingi wrote:
Farmers Choice used to have one, that was always at events.

Their hotdogs were legit.. Too tasty
Grandiose Bugger Obiero the resident wazua prophet who foresaw Bitcoin crash
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Copyright © 2018 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.