wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Do we have any pilot in Wazua?
UpcomingPaperChaser
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 11:38:27 AM

I am a budding aviation enthusiast. I have been looking around and I came to learn that most would-be employers dont fancy locally trained pilots.

I have been able to find a good flight training school in South Africa who can offer all the licences at a total fee of about Kshs. 3 Million. It has a good reputation and is among the good schools there.

However, i have been reading stuff online and reports indicate that there are plenty of jobless pilots hanging around at Wilson. The reason could be because they were locally trained.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of this Pilot's job market in Kenya. Since it involves huge spending during the training, its important that one makes wise decisions.
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
Lolest!
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 11:50:06 AM

Which school is that in SA?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
quicksand
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 1:35:00 PM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
I am a budding aviation enthusiast. I have been looking around and I came to learn that most would-be employers dont fancy locally trained pilots.

I have been able to find a good flight training school in South Africa who can offer all the licences at a total fee of about Kshs. 3 Million. It has a good reputation and is among the good schools there.

However, i have been reading stuff online and reports indicate that there are plenty of jobless pilots hanging around at Wilson. The reason could be because they were locally trained.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of this Pilot's job market in Kenya. Since it involves huge spending during the training, its important that one makes wise decisions.

I was like you once ...also a few of my classmates became pilots ...so, here goes some anecdotal advice and musings.
Have no illusions going in. This is one very tough career for bootstrappers. It is very expensive and the slog will be long and hard, especially if you haven't scored a slot with KQ's Ab Initio cadet program.
If it is a flaming passion, then go for it, otherwise you will regret it all your life. If it is just a curiosity, pause and think long and hard. KQ is the only steady game in this country (and lately ... Sad Sad )
The industry is always screaming that there is a pilot shortage, and not just in Kenya. The truth on the ground is that there is an excess of licensed pilots without ratings and hours, and to get these to respectable levels involves hard graft, low wages and a poor family life. Only after 7, 8 or 10 years of consistent flying do things start looking up. Airlines always chase this small group of pilots with high hours and ratings. Sounds unfair but I guess thats life...
Of course I could be wrong. Take it all with a pinch ..
I don't know if you have heard of PPrune? Pilot issues are discussed there at length -in case you havent ...pewa link!
https://www.pprune.org/
Good luck and all the best
Bree
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 1:54:16 PM

Lolest! wrote:

Could be 43 Air School, some KQ Ab Initio use to train there not sure if they still do.
Lolest!
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 7:42:03 PM

Bree wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Could be 43 Air School, some KQ Ab Initio use to train there not sure if they still do.

Thought 43 would be more expensive than 3M
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
UpcomingPaperChaser
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 8:24:54 PM

Lolest! wrote:

There is Johannesburg School of Flying, FTS and Madiba School of Flying.......But from reviews online, FTS seems the best..
UpcomingPaperChaser
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 8:31:06 PM

quicksand wrote:

I was like you once ...also a few of my classmates became pilots ...so, here goes some anecdotal advice and musings.
Have no illusions going in. This is one very tough career for bootstrappers. It is very expensive and the slog will be long and hard, especially if you haven't scored a slot with KQ's Ab Initio cadet program.
If it is a flaming passion, then go for it, otherwise you will regret it all your life. If it is just a curiosity, pause and think long and hard. KQ is the only steady game in this country (and lately ... Sad Sad )
The industry is always screaming that there is a pilot shortage, and not just in Kenya. The truth on the ground is that there is an excess of licensed pilots without ratings and hours, and to get these to respectable levels involves hard graft, low wages and a poor family life. Only after 7, 8 or 10 years of consistent flying do things start looking up. Airlines always chase this small group of pilots with high hours and ratings. Sounds unfair but I guess thats life...
Of course I could be wrong. Take it all with a pinch ..
I don't know if you have heard of PPrune? Pilot issues are discussed there at length -in case you havent ...pewa link!
https://www.pprune.org/
Good luck and all the best

Thank you very for your lengthy response. I really appreciate. Its a burning desire in my heart to be a pilot. I struggle to suppress the desire but every time i see a plane, my heart longs for those moments up there.

I have been in PPRUNE for 7 years. Its a very resourceful forum, all sorts of aviation enthusiasts are always there to help you. Its true that there are plenty of jobless pilots at Wilson who recently qualified. Its really a headache considering that I havent even started.

I wouldnt mind bush flying, I dont have to join big airlines. I actually awed by these propeller jets like the Dash Q series, that operate within East African destinations.

As we speak, i can actually fly a Cessna 150, Cessna 172, Cessna Caravan and Dash Q-400 on FX Simulator x.....of course I know that, this accounts for only 1% of the actual flying. This just shows how focused i am in joining this piloting world.

Anyway, thanks for your tips, i wil surely meditate over it and hopefully one day i will be an airline pilot.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 8:33:08 PM

Bree wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

I got eliminated at the final stage of KQs AB Initio programme. I literally cried, yes, nililia for 2 days after going through mchujo ya wasee 120 till we were 16...then I got axed. THat was one of my lowest moments in my life. I couldnt attend lectures for the remainder of my 2 years on college due to this mchujo. But i graduated with stellar marks.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 05, 2017 8:35:06 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Bree wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Thought 43 would be more expensive than 3M

43 Air School is among Africas best, its actually the best, together with AIFA and Progress they fight for top spot. However, the complete package for 43 and Progress is about 6 Million, including accomodation and everything assuming that you will complete PPL, CPL, NR, IR, MER in 18 months.
Horton
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 9:30:11 AM

I have been in the industry for 17years now. There is a huge shortage for qualified and competent personnel. Its a very rewarding and satisfying career both monetarily and also I couldnt see myself do an 8-5job.

SA or the US are great options. I would pick the US if you can afford it. There are schools in Kenya too. Check out www.flightsafetyacademy.com or phoenixeast in Daytona Beach there is also Panam academy in Fort Pierce florida

Jobwise. Once you have some hours under your belt, getting a job is not so difficult. The guys tarmacking in wilson is a stage everyone goes through but make sure you come back with a CFI rating. Start off as an instructor, build your hours and then try for a charter co. Eg Boskis or blue sky. Most companies require you have 1000hours or more due insurance. Beat way is to build it as an AFI (assistant flight instructor). Keep trying to apply to KQ/540 etc it may take a few attempts.

You will easily be able to pay off your training fees in a year or 2 if you get the right job. Sometimes luck comes into play.

Good luck.

UpcomingPaperChaser
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:27:33 PM

Horton wrote:

I have been in the industry for 17years now. There is a huge shortage for qualified and competent personnel. Its a very rewarding and satisfying career both monetarily and also I couldnt see myself do an 8-5job.

SA or the US are great options. I would pick the US if you can afford it. There are schools in Kenya too. Check out www.flightsafetyacademy.com or phoenixeast in Daytona Beach there is also Panam academy in Fort Pierce florida

Jobwise. Once you have some hours under your belt, getting a job is not so difficult. The guys tarmacking in wilson is a stage everyone goes through but make sure you come back with a CFI rating. Start off as an instructor, build your hours and then try for a charter co. Eg Boskis or blue sky. Most companies require you have 1000hours or more due insurance. Beat way is to build it as an AFI (assistant flight instructor). Keep trying to apply to KQ/540 etc it may take a few attempts.

You will easily be able to pay off your training fees in a year or 2 if you get the right job. Sometimes luck comes into play.

Good luck.

Thank you very very much Sir. I appreciate your kind encouraging words. This is what i have been waiting to hear all along, information from the horses mouth.

I will surely follow the desires of my heart and go for it, and just as you said, I wouldnt mind doing flight instructing for some time after getting my qualifications.

Regards.