Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123
Nairobi water crisis explained
tony stark
#41 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 9:27:22 AM

Kaigangio wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Good news and bad news.

Today the Govt signed a contract for the construction of Thwake dam in Kitui/Makueni counties.

https://www.capitalfm.co...ani-benefit-thwake-dam/

22KM long, 10 times bigger than Ndaka-ini, the biggest in East Africa and installed capacity of 823 Million cubic meters.

The bad news is that apart from capital FM, no other media house in Kenya thinks this is news worth covering. A google search only returns the above link.

I don't like Jubilee but if Uhuru can push this, his legacy is secured. Its the kind of project one hopes there is enough kick-back to take care of all the cartels. To make sure they are well motivated not to sabotage.

@FRM2011, The first feasibility study for Thwake Multipurpose dam was done in 1953 under colonial government. The second one was done in mid 1980s.

After bringing in a part financier, the civil works for Phase 1 were meant to start in June 2014 and complete in 2019 but somehow got delayed,

For your information, when the Thwake dam construction is completed to the last Phase it will have a total storage capacity equal 2.4 billion cubic metres of water for consumption, irrigation and 20MW HEP power generation.

Thanks for the education @Kaigangio.
I recently visited my mothers shagz in Makindu and saw that Makindu river dried a long time ago and I remember swimming in the said river. What is viability of these dams if our rivers are drying up as time goes on?
Kaigangio
#42 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 10:46:37 AM

tony stark wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Good news and bad news.

Today the Govt signed a contract for the construction of Thwake dam in Kitui/Makueni counties.

22KM long, 10 times bigger than Ndaka-ini, the biggest in East Africa and installed capacity of 823 Million cubic meters.

The bad news is that apart from capital FM, no other media house in Kenya thinks this is news worth covering. A google search only returns the above link.

I don't like Jubilee but if Uhuru can push this, his legacy is secured. Its the kind of project one hopes there is enough kick-back to take care of all the cartels. To make sure they are well motivated not to sabotage.

@FRM2011, The first feasibility study for Thwake Multipurpose dam was done in 1953 under colonial government. The second one was done in mid 1980s.

After bringing in a part financier, the civil works for Phase 1 were meant to start in June 2014 and complete in 2019 but somehow got delayed,

For your information, when the Thwake dam construction is completed to the last Phase it will have a total storage capacity equal 2.4 billion cubic metres of water for consumption, irrigation and 20MW HEP power generation.

I recently visited my mothers shagz in Makindu and saw that Makindu river dried a long time ago and I remember swimming in the said river. What is viability of these dams if our rivers are drying up as time goes on?

@tony..I have been asking myself about the same question, whether the current river flows and generally available water will be enough to sustain the existence of this dam. You see the feasibility studies were carried out long before the effects of global warming and wanton destruction of catchments started showing up in the 90s.
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Musimo
#43 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:01:30 PM

There are two frames of mind we are facing in our country today: Politics and development and politics of development. On one hand, a tunnel is to be constructed linking some rivers and supposed to collect a given amount of water for storage at ndakaini. From there, a new water treatment works is to be built, ensuring that the supply to nairobi will rise to cater for demand. A politician comes up saying they drew those plans while in government thus should get credit for the same, next day he says the plans would cause desertification downstream as all water would be diverted away from the river. Which politics is this, as per the above headings?
The northern water collection project is ongoing ( https://www.capitalfm.co...-140mn-litres-of-water/ ). this would solve part of the problems of Nairobi and water, but this alone will not help. I feel the blunder back then was allowing for low-density population areas in nairobi to be converted into high density population areas (Kilimani, Lavington, Lileleshwa, etc) instead of venturing out of nairobi by ensuring there are adequate and on-time transport solutions to cater for the guys living outside nairobi (Guys from thika, ruiur, machakos, Limuru/naivasha, etc), plus water and electricity.
Musimo
#44 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:04:17 PM

Kaigangio wrote:
tony stark wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Good news and bad news.

@tony..I have been asking myself about the same question, whether the current river flows and generally available water will be enough to sustain the existence of this dam. You see the feasibility studies were carried out long before the effects of global warming and wanton destruction of catchments started showing up in the 90s.

before the dam was designated necessary pre-2014, some consultants sat down and re-looked at the numbers, to ensure that what they have still tallies with what they had before. If they are confident of the numbers, then the go-ahead is given by the ministry and things move along construction-wise.
hardwood
#45 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:10:20 PM

Does the polluted Nairobi river flow into this dam?
Gathige
#46 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:23:15 PM

hardwood wrote:
Does the polluted Nairobi river flow into this dam?

Water gets clean as it flows downstream.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
wukan
#47 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:45:23 PM

Musimo wrote:
There are two frames of mind we are facing in our country today: Politics and development and politics of development. On one hand, a tunnel is to be constructed linking some rivers and supposed to collect a given amount of water for storage at ndakaini. From there, a new water treatment works is to be built, ensuring that the supply to nairobi will rise to cater for demand. A politician comes up saying they drew those plans while in government thus should get credit for the same, next day he says the plans would cause desertification downstream as all water would be diverted away from the river. Which politics is this, as per the above headings?
The northern water collection project is ongoing ( https://www.capitalfm.co...-140mn-litres-of-water/ ). this would solve part of the problems of Nairobi and water, but this alone will not help. I feel the blunder back then was allowing for low-density population areas in nairobi to be converted into high density population areas (Kilimani, Lavington, Lileleshwa, etc) instead of venturing out of nairobi by ensuring there are adequate and on-time transport solutions to cater for the guys living outside nairobi (Guys from thika, ruiur, machakos, Limuru/naivasha, etc), plus water and electricity.

Why are you advocating for urban sprawl(horizontal growth) instead of vertical growth? Cities are meant to be contained in small areas but dense with population. Kilimani, Lavi, Kibera are all areas within the urban core they should be high density areas. The unfortunate thing about nairobi is that it was planned by and for 'middle class sluts'
Quote:
‘General Erskine in a letter to his wife says of the settlers, ‘they are jumped-up middle class sluts and harlots, who for generations have brutally exploited the land and labour of an indigenous people who are finally striking back. I hate them all, they are virulent racists and not fit to rule over anything let alone a British colony.’

The building of dams and the urban development was also done in a way to segregate the population. That's why the leafy suburbs have adequate water supply and the mad-max Eastlandos buy borehole water. Those low density areas were just a white privilege thing carried over by the african elite. Many cities just have much denser populations in the urban core.

Water is an abundant resource, the question is just distribution. Surely even the technology for distributing water to city blocks is 2000 years old from the Roman times. Limiting access to water is just our african way of maintaining 'ubabi'

Impunity
#48 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 12:20:00 AM

Kaigangio wrote:
tony stark wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Good news and bad news.

Which main rivers will be tapped to fill the Thwake dam?
Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

kawi254
#49 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 12:35:48 PM

Impunity wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
tony stark wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Good news and bad news.

Sad

Seasonal rivers from Kitui, Makueni & Kajiado will be tapped. During rainy season/flash floods a lot of water flows on this seasonal rivers to Indian Ocean.

If you have visited Kitui, Makueni in a good rainy season you will agree that the only thing that land lacks is water and that it is fertile and productive. So the dam will help in irrigation so that you can enjoy you sweet sun kissed water melons from Makueni/Kitui in Nairobi.
Gathige
#50 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 5:53:15 AM

kawi254 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
tony stark wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Good news and bad news.

Sad

Seasonal rivers from Kitui, Makueni & Kajiado will be tapped. During rainy season/flash floods a lot of water flows on this seasonal rivers to Indian Ocean.

If you have visited Kitui, Makueni in a good rainy season you will agree that the only thing that land lacks is water and that it is fertile and productive. So the dam will help in irrigation so that you can enjoy you sweet sun kissed water melons from Makueni/Kitui in Nairobi.

Rain water runoff would also be sufficient to supplement . Kiserian dam in Kajiado has no river flowing into it but collects water during the rain season and normally gets full. But the water is very filthy as it collects all the rains dirt with it, including waste from a nearby slaughtere house
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
murchr
#51 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:42:43 PM

Kaigangio wrote:
Hi all,

I am fully convinced beyond any shadow of doubt that the leaders we have are more of clowns and knows very little of what they are required to do. After the energy sector,now it is water sector which is now reeling under the weight of myriad problems ranging from lack of water to the mismanagement of the little that is available&hellip;..you see Chality Ngilu stands up and says that Kenya is the most water-poor country in the world and blames the situation on drought and illegal connections. The following day her junior officer Permanent Secretary Engineer David Stower opens his baggy mouth and tells us that the current shortage of water being experienced is due to the drought..what in God&rsquo;s name are these two idiots treating us to??? The usual sparghetti talk??? Drought has got nothing to do with the current acute water shortage as explained below:

Let us first briefly examine the status of the existing water supplies to Nairobi:

1. Ndakaini Dam

The dam was commissioned in 1990 and is located in Thika district of Central Province. It is the largest of the four Nairobi water sources (supplying 84% of the water consumed in Nairobi) with an installed capacity of 70 million m3 deriving its replenishment from river Chania whose source is in the Aberdares. The designed daily out flow is 440,000 m3 but under normal conditions the extraction rate recorded at the Ng&rsquo;ethu Treatment and Distribution station is 376,000 m3. This translates into an 85.5% utilization.
As at August 2009,the dam was only 36% full i.e 25 million m3. Under normal operating conditions it would take just 66 days to empty the dam assuming that there is no water flowing into it. The current inflow or rate of replenishment is only 21,000 m3 against an outflow of 86,400 m3. The nett outflow is therefore 65,400 m3. Assuming the current conditions persist and that the inflow and outflow rates are maintained,the dam will be empty in 382 days! The dam was constructed to service the Nairobi water needs at its (dam&rsquo;s) peak upto 2010 if then the flow of water into the dam continued uninterrupted. Additional capacity was to have been developed by the year 2005 to maintain the dam at its peak. A proposal was made to link the rivers Maragwa and Mathioya to the dam through a tunnel. Nothing has been done to date.

Started 12 years later

2. Sasumua Dam

The dam was commissioned in 1956. It is located in Kinangop,Nyandarua South in Central Province. The dam supplies 11% of the water consumed in Nairobi and has an installed capacity equal to 16million m3. The dam draws its water from streams emanating from the Aberdares forest. When the dam was first constructed it was meant to serve the white settlers in upper Nairobi,that is Lavington,Hurlinghum,Westlands,Ngong Road,Langata,Ngumo,etc. The designed daily output of the dam is 59,000m3. And the output recorded at the treatment works is 41,000m3. This is equivalent to 69.5% utilization.
As at August 2009,the dam had only 4million m3 of water,i.e 25% full. The dam was badly damaged by floods in the year 1999 and it is currently undergoing rehabilitation.

3. Ruiru Dam

The dam was commissioned around 1953. It is located in Githunguri subdistrict of Kiambu District in Central Province. The dam is fed by river Ruiru which has its source in the Aberdares forest. The dam has an installed capacity of 3million m3. The design extraction capacity of the dam is 22,000m3 per day,but the recorded output at Kabete Water Treatment Works is 21,000m3. This is reflecting a healthy utilization of 95.5%.

4. Kikuyu Springs
This water supply was constructed in 1906 by the Imperial British East Africa (IBEA) and was later sold to Nairobi Municipal Corporation in 1922. The installed capacity for this water supply has never been quantified. It has design extraction capacity of 4000m3 per day and the average recorded at the water treatment works is 4000m3 per day meaning that it is utilized into its full capacity.

The Picture

At independence Nairobi was receiving just about 66,000m3 per day which by any standards was more than enough as the population was very small,about 300,000 and the average daily demand per person was 0.22m3 or 220 litres per day.
As at the fist census carried out in 1969 the population of Nairobi was about 520,000. At this population the water was still abundant . The average daily demand per person stood at about 200 litres.
Ten years later in 1979 the population had risen to about 800,000. The existing water supplies were experiencing the demand pressure because the few water boreholes which had been sunk to supplement the main supplies could not completely eradicate the shortfall. With a demand of over 180,000m3 and a supply of only about 100,000m3 the stage was set for an early sign of crisis. The amount of water available per person was only 125 litres per day. So some areas mainly Langata and Eastlands started having some water problems of occasional unofficial rationing which was just mild.
Ten years later in 1989 the population and risen to about 1,400,000. The water demand in Nairobi stood slightly higher than 320,000m3. The then existing supply could only satisfy just about 120,000m3. The average amount of water available per person was 86 litres per day. With this scenario a half of Nairobi was not receiving adequate water as per WHO basic requirements. Apart from Lang&rsquo;ata and Eastlands many other suburbs were sucked into the water don&rsquo;t haves list.
Ten years later in 1999 the population had risen to about 2,200,000. The water demand was then at about 600,000m3 against a supply of about 450,000m3. The sharp rise in demand was because some other areas outside Nairobi started getting connected to the Nairobi supply. These areas include Athi River,Kitengela,Mlolongo,Ruai,Rwaka etc. At this time some Nairobi suburbs could span upto three weeks without a drop of water and again the main casualties were Lan&rsquo;gata,Otiende,Kibera,Kariobangi,Umoja,Donholm,Savanna. A chunk of the available supply went to these peri-urban areas leaving the genuine Nairobi residents with very little water. The daily water availability stood at 130 litres per person. The improvement here was due to the commissioning of Ndakaini dam.
Come 2009 and the situation is a full blown crisis. The current daily demand from a population of 3,000,000 plus another approximately 3,000,000 from peri-urban areas is standing at about a 1,000,000m3 and the supplies are already stretched to their limit of 450,000m3. And is meant to serve close to 6 million people!!! The daily water availability stands at 75 litres per person!!! Against a satisfactory daily demand or requirement of 200 litres per day!!! What I mean here is that the existing water resources cannot even satisfy just a half of the Nairobi&rsquo;s current demand if they operated at full output capacities!!!

The Situation

It is really chilling to know that at the moment we have actually run out of water completely!!!...reason&hellip; as per the demand of 1,000,000m3 of water,for a population of about 6,000,000,the average demand per breathing person is 0.17m3 or 170 litres per person per day.
Under the prevailing circumstances,the gross output from the supplies is a paltry 150,000m3 per day serving the same population of 6,000,000. This means that to each person only 25litres per day is available!!!!!...just one 25litre jerrycan!!! With only one jerrycan of water per day per person Nairobi has completely run out of portable drinking water&hellip;this is a disaster!!!
It can be clearly seen that the amount of water available per person has declined through the years because there has been no expansion of the existing water resources and no new ones have been developed between 1956 and 1991 when the Ndakaini dam was commissioned and after 1991. In post independent Kenya only one water resource for Nairobi has been developed.
The only time that the Nairobi residents enjoyed water in abundance was before 1979 and between 1991 and 1999 where the daily water availability per person was above 100litres per day!!!

Landlord, was Sasumua ever completed? It would be nice to have a map showing the suburbs served by each dam. Looking at how much money we spend on nonsensical stuff like the legislative summit currently happening, you have to wonder, who bewitched us?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Kaigangio
#52 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:43:38 PM

murchr wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
Hi all,

I am fully convinced beyond any shadow of doubt that the leaders we have are more of clowns and knows very little of what they are required to do. After the energy sector,now it is water sector which is now reeling under the weight of myriad problems ranging from lack of water to the mismanagement of the little that is available&hellip;..you see Chality Ngilu stands up and says that Kenya is the most water-poor country in the world and blames the situation on drought and illegal connections. The following day her junior officer Permanent Secretary Engineer David Stower opens his baggy mouth and tells us that the current shortage of water being experienced is due to the drought..what in God&rsquo;s name are these two idiots treating us to??? The usual sparghetti talk??? Drought has got nothing to do with the current acute water shortage as explained below:

Let us first briefly examine the status of the existing water supplies to Nairobi:

1. Ndakaini Dam

The dam was commissioned in 1990 and is located in Thika district of Central Province. It is the largest of the four Nairobi water sources (supplying 84% of the water consumed in Nairobi) with an installed capacity of 70 million m3 deriving its replenishment from river Chania whose source is in the Aberdares. The designed daily out flow is 440,000 m3 but under normal conditions the extraction rate recorded at the Ng&rsquo;ethu Treatment and Distribution station is 376,000 m3. This translates into an 85.5% utilization.
As at August 2009,the dam was only 36% full i.e 25 million m3. Under normal operating conditions it would take just 66 days to empty the dam assuming that there is no water flowing into it. The current inflow or rate of replenishment is only 21,000 m3 against an outflow of 86,400 m3. The nett outflow is therefore 65,400 m3. Assuming the current conditions persist and that the inflow and outflow rates are maintained,the dam will be empty in 382 days! The dam was constructed to service the Nairobi water needs at its (dam&rsquo;s) peak upto 2010 if then the flow of water into the dam continued uninterrupted. Additional capacity was to have been developed by the year 2005 to maintain the dam at its peak. A proposal was made to link the rivers Maragwa and Mathioya to the dam through a tunnel. Nothing has been done to date.

Started 12 years later

2. Sasumua Dam

The dam was commissioned in 1956. It is located in Kinangop,Nyandarua South in Central Province. The dam supplies 11% of the water consumed in Nairobi and has an installed capacity equal to 16million m3. The dam draws its water from streams emanating from the Aberdares forest. When the dam was first constructed it was meant to serve the white settlers in upper Nairobi,that is Lavington,Hurlinghum,Westlands,Ngong Road,Langata,Ngumo,etc. The designed daily output of the dam is 59,000m3. And the output recorded at the treatment works is 41,000m3. This is equivalent to 69.5% utilization.
As at August 2009,the dam had only 4million m3 of water,i.e 25% full. The dam was badly damaged by floods in the year 1999 and it is currently undergoing rehabilitation.

3. Ruiru Dam

The dam was commissioned around 1953. It is located in Githunguri subdistrict of Kiambu District in Central Province. The dam is fed by river Ruiru which has its source in the Aberdares forest. The dam has an installed capacity of 3million m3. The design extraction capacity of the dam is 22,000m3 per day,but the recorded output at Kabete Water Treatment Works is 21,000m3. This is reflecting a healthy utilization of 95.5%.

4. Kikuyu Springs
This water supply was constructed in 1906 by the Imperial British East Africa (IBEA) and was later sold to Nairobi Municipal Corporation in 1922. The installed capacity for this water supply has never been quantified. It has design extraction capacity of 4000m3 per day and the average recorded at the water treatment works is 4000m3 per day meaning that it is utilized into its full capacity.

The Picture

At independence Nairobi was receiving just about 66,000m3 per day which by any standards was more than enough as the population was very small,about 300,000 and the average daily demand per person was 0.22m3 or 220 litres per day.
As at the fist census carried out in 1969 the population of Nairobi was about 520,000. At this population the water was still abundant . The average daily demand per person stood at about 200 litres.
Ten years later in 1979 the population had risen to about 800,000. The existing water supplies were experiencing the demand pressure because the few water boreholes which had been sunk to supplement the main supplies could not completely eradicate the shortfall. With a demand of over 180,000m3 and a supply of only about 100,000m3 the stage was set for an early sign of crisis. The amount of water available per person was only 125 litres per day. So some areas mainly Langata and Eastlands started having some water problems of occasional unofficial rationing which was just mild.
Ten years later in 1989 the population and risen to about 1,400,000. The water demand in Nairobi stood slightly higher than 320,000m3. The then existing supply could only satisfy just about 120,000m3. The average amount of water available per person was 86 litres per day. With this scenario a half of Nairobi was not receiving adequate water as per WHO basic requirements. Apart from Lang&rsquo;ata and Eastlands many other suburbs were sucked into the water don&rsquo;t haves list.
Ten years later in 1999 the population had risen to about 2,200,000. The water demand was then at about 600,000m3 against a supply of about 450,000m3. The sharp rise in demand was because some other areas outside Nairobi started getting connected to the Nairobi supply. These areas include Athi River,Kitengela,Mlolongo,Ruai,Rwaka etc. At this time some Nairobi suburbs could span upto three weeks without a drop of water and again the main casualties were Lan&rsquo;gata,Otiende,Kibera,Kariobangi,Umoja,Donholm,Savanna. A chunk of the available supply went to these peri-urban areas leaving the genuine Nairobi residents with very little water. The daily water availability stood at 130 litres per person. The improvement here was due to the commissioning of Ndakaini dam.
Come 2009 and the situation is a full blown crisis. The current daily demand from a population of 3,000,000 plus another approximately 3,000,000 from peri-urban areas is standing at about a 1,000,000m3 and the supplies are already stretched to their limit of 450,000m3. And is meant to serve close to 6 million people!!! The daily water availability stands at 75 litres per person!!! Against a satisfactory daily demand or requirement of 200 litres per day!!! What I mean here is that the existing water resources cannot even satisfy just a half of the Nairobi&rsquo;s current demand if they operated at full output capacities!!!

The Situation

It is really chilling to know that at the moment we have actually run out of water completely!!!...reason&hellip; as per the demand of 1,000,000m3 of water,for a population of about 6,000,000,the average demand per breathing person is 0.17m3 or 170 litres per person per day.
Under the prevailing circumstances,the gross output from the supplies is a paltry 150,000m3 per day serving the same population of 6,000,000. This means that to each person only 25litres per day is available!!!!!...just one 25litre jerrycan!!! With only one jerrycan of water per day per person Nairobi has completely run out of portable drinking water&hellip;this is a disaster!!!
It can be clearly seen that the amount of water available per person has declined through the years because there has been no expansion of the existing water resources and no new ones have been developed between 1956 and 1991 when the Ndakaini dam was commissioned and after 1991. In post independent Kenya only one water resource for Nairobi has been developed.
The only time that the Nairobi residents enjoyed water in abundance was before 1979 and between 1991 and 1999 where the daily water availability per person was above 100litres per day!!!

Landlord, was Sasumua ever completed? It would be nice to have a map showing the suburbs served by each dam. Looking at how much money we spend on nonsensical stuff like the legislative summit currently happening, you have to wonder, who bewitched us?

Sasumua repairs were done along time ago and normal water pumping operations restored. However, water shortage will still persist because no new water sources have been developed to add to the existing capacity to augment the ever increasing shortfall...the authorities are still asleep.
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
kenmac
#53 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:32:22 PM

murchr wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
Hi all,

1. Ndakaini Dam

Started 12 years later

2. Sasumua Dam

3. Ruiru Dam

4. Kikuyu Springs

The Picture

The Situation

The Tunnel from River Maragwa was done a few years ago.....The pipe is tapped from some place Karurumo
......Ecclesiastes
Kaigangio
#54 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:22:52 PM

kenmac wrote:
murchr wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
Hi all,

1. Ndakaini Dam

Started 12 years later

2. Sasumua Dam

3. Ruiru Dam

4. Kikuyu Springs

The Picture

The Situation

The Tunnel from River Maragwa was done a few years ago.....The pipe is tapped from some place Karurumo

Nope. The Northern Water Collector Tunnel works have not been completed yet.
Gathige
#55 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:20:36 PM

kenmac wrote:
murchr wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
Hi all,

1. Ndakaini Dam

Started 12 years later

2. Sasumua Dam

3. Ruiru Dam

4. Kikuyu Springs

The Picture

The Situation

That pipe word does not drain into Ndakaini but is consumed in most parts along the way.
Lolest!
#56 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:56:59 AM

Quote:
Water consumers in Kiambu and Nairobi may have to dig deeper into their pockets to pay for water should the wrangles going on in Murang’a continue.

This is after Murang’a Governor Mwangi Wa Iria and the county assembly vowed stop construction of the Sh6.8bn Northern Collector Tunnel if the county does not receive 25 per cent of revenue got from selling the commodity to Nairobi and Kiambu.

The governor will also go for the same cut in Ndakai-ini dam, which supplies 84 per cent of water to Nairobi. The move has elicited a sharp reaction from the national government. It has vowed to step in should Murang'a county stick to its guns on the matter, which threatens to derail the World Bank-funded northern collector tunnel.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hardwood
#57 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:10:07 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Quote:
Water consumers in Kiambu and Nairobi may have to dig deeper into their pockets to pay for water should the wrangles going on in Murang’a continue.

This is after Murang’a Governor Mwangi Wa Iria and the county assembly vowed stop construction of the Sh6.8bn Northern Collector Tunnel if the county does not receive 25 per cent of revenue got from selling the commodity to Nairobi and Kiambu.

The governor will also go for the same cut in Ndakai-ini dam, which supplies 84 per cent of water to Nairobi. The move has elicited a sharp reaction from the national government. It has vowed to step in should Murang'a county stick to its guns on the matter, which threatens to derail the World Bank-funded northern collector tunnel.

If turkana is getting 25% cut for its OIL natural resource, let muranga also get it's 25% from its WATER natural resource.
majimaji
#58 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:20:25 AM

hardwood wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

If turkana is getting 25% cut for its OIL natural resource, let muranga also get it's 25% from its WATER natural resource.

This Governor has destroyed the water supply company in Muranga and people are suffering. The Nairobi thing is a red herring. Also he really does not care because he is on his last term
simonkabz
#59 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:38:17 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

I hate that ka gafana but I agree with him on this. Local Muranga residents barely have water in their homes, and of late due to the Ndakaini dam, in the rivers too..
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
tinker
#60 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:03:33 PM

simonkabz wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

I hate that ka gafana but I agree with him on this. Local Muranga residents barely have water in their homes, and of late due to the Ndakaini dam, in the rivers too..

This battle is far from over.

eti "Nairobi County has been handling stolen property(Water from Muranga) and selling it to residents, which is an offence, That’s why we want the investigating agencies to arrest the county boss and the top management of Nawasco,”.
https://www.nation.co.ke...57660-bqog5y/index.html
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..