wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
GCSE v 8-4-4
muganda
#21 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 5:30:09 PM

Wazumen and wadames, such an interesting question here. I must admit I'm as befuddled as the next average Joe.

Is it likely the question is not 844 vs GCSE, in modern Kenya, but rather hardship vs exposure?

I read according to last OECD PISA report that rates systems of education: the tough as nails, extremely competitive, inductive China ranks 1st. I'd wager their system of education is closer to Kenya's 844.

But on the other hand, the reigning champ over the last 5 years or so remains the Finland, no 2 this year. And the kids there just have tons of fun at school, love reading, create homelike classrooms, abhor ranking etc.

So! between hardship and exposure, or success from adversity or due to abundant options? Hmmmn
My informal surveys so far show everyone chooses the latter. Would love to hear your take...

Ref:
China Debuts at Top of International Education Rankings

China education system, is both a blessing and a curse

Ric dees
#22 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 6:03:24 PM

Different view point you raise here and guess the jury is still out on this one, however what we are seeing in ASEAN countries isn't it as a result in the rise of the Tiger Mother?

What has been the end product of this so called "tiger mothers"? I don't know much boput China but i can tell you in Singapore children are "reading till 10pm" there pace is relentless for what? why? A better look/understanding of the Hypothesis of the Tiger Mother is to read Amy Chua's the battle of the Hymn

http://online.wsj.com/article/S...4576059713528698754.html

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.
muganda
#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:33:25 PM

What do they have in common?

Google: Larry Page, Sergei Brin
Amazon: Jeff Bezos
Wikipedia: Jimmy Wales
Harvard Business: Peter Drucker
Video game pioneer: Will Wright

Julia Child, David Blaine, and Sean "P. Diddy" Combs etc.

Montessori learning method founded by Maria Montessori, emphasizes a collaborative environment without grades or tests, multi-aged classrooms, as well as self-directed learning and discovery for long blocks of time.

http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-mark.../05/the-montessori-mafia

Dia
#24 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2015 3:34:53 PM

Revisiting this discussion, @ Ric Dees, how has your experience with GCSE been so far?
Lolest!
#25 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:54:27 PM

KenyanLyrics wrote:

GSCE produces lazy ass sons of bitches who really need to be pimp-slapped into the real world at high school level. Best thing is to ship them to a uni in the west, where tertiary education is taken by students as the most serious stage of learning.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Swenani
#26 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 7:29:59 AM

XSK wrote:
mukiha wrote:
@Ric dees; do you not think that it is also important to expose your child to the full spectrum of our society? Are they not missing something if they only interact "with the families who own/preserve Capital in this country and elsewhere"?

Is it fair to assume that success in life only means material success - gained by having made connections during one's school days?

It obviously isn't a straightforward matter of crossing out the pros vs the cons.

Mukihan na Ric dees

Are you kenyans? or more precisely do you live in his country? People have bigger issues than deciding whether its GCSE or 8 4 4. For the bigger population there is no option!

smile smile smile smile smile
Kama mimi I'm trying to decide whether to pay rent or move out at night
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?