https://www.the-star.co....to-end-poverty_c1662994[/quote]

AS MUMIAS SUGAR IS BACK TO GRAB THE MARKET SHARE AGAIN!!smile smile smile

https://www.standardmedi...after-missing-for-months
Watch and Listen and Live
HaMaina
#2323 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 9:28:55 AM

Sale of State sugar firms on after suit flops

http://www.businessdaily...181958-axbsxx/index.html
“You can get in way more trouble with a good idea than a bad idea, because you forget that the good idea has limits.” - Ben Graham
HaMaina
#2324 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:10:07 AM

Mumias Sugar, Kenya Power in deal to restart electricity supply

http://www.businessdaily...97270-11ae2y4/index.html
“You can get in way more trouble with a good idea than a bad idea, because you forget that the good idea has limits.” - Ben Graham
obiero
#2325 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:54:40 PM

kayhara wrote:
obiero wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
The Great wrote:
obiero wrote:
Word in states that part of the Mumias factory has been extensively damaged by a fire.. Kwisha MSC https://asokoinsight.com...sugar-main-office-kenya

It doesn't sound like there was damage worthy of note. Don't be alarmist @Obiero. I still want to respect your opinion tomorrow as I do today.

Nice One.Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

So who else is in Mumias to verify.. The MD himself states that the cables leading to the water pumps for the sugar crushers have been incapacitated.. Shindeni tu hapo mkikana moto ilitibuka MSC

Nobody denies that there was a fire, but was the fire a major event that couldn't be sorted out without disrupting the operations of the sugar mill.

Do you think they will tell you that? Me have noted there was and eventful enough kugonga vichwa vya wanahabari. Sasa najaribu kujifahamisha nazo bottomlines sitangongwa kiasi gani.

I seriously doubt whether there is any wazuan holding on to shares of this bandia firm right now

I must be as "bandia" a wazuan as the firm, since I have never stopped buying into the "bandia" firm for the past 4 years. Na Bado sichoki. Drool Drool We shall soon find out.

I besiege you to bail out of MSC, it may not end well

This monkey has been good for my speculation, bought at 0.75 sold at 1.30 waiting for price to dip again, this time it might not go below 1,but 1.05 will be a buy

Let me leave this here http://www.businessdaily...234110-la3l9r/index.html

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
HaMaina
#2326 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:27:50 PM

Kesho its the AGM, lets see if there will be anything useful coming out of it.
Ericsson
#2327 Posted : Tuesday, January 02, 2018 11:39:46 AM

Mumias Sugar requesting for a sh.4bn bailout

https://www.standardmedi...eeks-sh4-billion-bailout
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
obiero
#2328 Posted : Tuesday, January 02, 2018 12:07:33 PM

Ericsson wrote:

https://www.standardmedi...eks-sh4-billion-bailout

A tragedy

Angelica _ann
#2329 Posted : Tuesday, January 02, 2018 1:29:52 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

Elections are over, destined to die!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#2330 Posted : Tuesday, January 02, 2018 4:51:47 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

Once again, I can be the mortician and undertaker too on this one. But HAFR is likely to go first

HaMaina
#2331 Posted : Saturday, January 06, 2018 10:22:49 PM

obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

Once again, I can be the mortician and undertaker too on this one. But HAFR is likely to go first

If you can explain to me what shall become of the 5M + Kenyan citizens who directly or indirectly depend on the Sugar Industry, maybe I will think about it. This is no longer a "who voted for me" issue, it's a Kenyan issue.
Kusadikika
#2332 Posted : Saturday, January 06, 2018 11:18:03 PM

HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

If you can explain to me what shall become of the 5M + Kenyan citizens who directly or indirectly depend on the Sugar Industry, maybe I will think about it. This is no longer a "who voted for me" issue, it's a Kenyan issue.

Mumias is not the sugar industry. The government should completely stop propping it up and leave it to market forces to determine its viability. There are many examples of industries propped by inefficient government monopolies that have been left to collapse and people went on to find other things to do. Cases in point, Kenya used to be the worlds number 1 exporter of pyrethrum, now the production of pyrethrum is less than 10% what it once was. People who used to grow pyrethrum simply uprooted the crop and started growing other things or went on to do something else. Coffee production in Central Kenya is fraction of what it used
to be in the 70s and 80s. What happened to all those people who used to depend on coffee? They found something else that was more profitable to do. Market forces are not only about profit. Losses are as important to an efficient market system as profits because they signal that resources are not going to where they can be utilized most efficiently and there needs to be a change to how those resources are allocated.

The same soil that produces sugar cane can produce other crops or be used in a variety of other different ways. It is also possible that if the government stops propping up Mumias the share price could fall to 1 cent a share at which point it would be attractive enough to someone who knows how to run a sugar factory to buy it and run it efficiently and profitably or someone else might buy it break it up and sell it all as scrap metal. There is nothing special about producing sugar in Mumias. The country is not suffering from sugar starvation that can only be cured by pumping money into Mumias. It is time people stopped talking about going back to the good old days. There is no going back, time only rolls forwards and businesses are born and businesses die every day. If Mumias cannot survive as a business let it die.
VituVingiSana
#2333 Posted : Saturday, January 06, 2018 11:59:03 PM

HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

It's simple [economically speaking]...
Let the weak die and the strong survive.
There are firms like Ramisi, West Kenya, etc which can pick up the slack.
A "New Mumias" can be carved out of the bankrupt Mumias. The New Mumias would have none of the legacy debt or problems. It can re-negotiate contracts with farmers and suppliers.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#2334 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 12:06:23 AM

Kusadikika wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

Mumias is not the sugar industry. The government should completely stop propping it up and leave it to market forces to determine its viability. There are many examples of industries propped by inefficient government monopolies that have been left to collapse and people went on to find other things to do. Cases in point, Kenya used to be the worlds number 1 exporter of pyrethrum, now the production of pyrethrum is less than 10% what it once was. People who used to grow pyrethrum simply uprooted the crop and started growing other things or went on to do something else. Coffee production in Central Kenya is fraction of what it used
to be in the 70s and 80s. What happened to all those people who used to depend on coffee? They found something else that was more profitable to do. Market forces are not only about profit. Losses are as important to an efficient market system as profits because they signal that resources are not going to where they can be utilized most efficiently and there needs to be a change to how those resources are allocated.

The same soil that produces sugar cane can produce other crops or be used in a variety of other different ways. It is also possible that if the government stops propping up Mumias the share price could fall to 1 cent a share at which point it would be attractive enough to someone who knows how to run a sugar factory to buy it and run it efficiently and profitably or someone else might buy it break it up and sell it all as scrap metal. There is nothing special about producing sugar in Mumias. The country is not suffering from sugar starvation that can only be cured by pumping money into Mumias. It is time people stopped talking about going back to the good old days. There is no going back, time only rolls forwards and businesses are born and businesses die every day. If Mumias cannot survive as a business let it die.

Applause Applause Applause
The same with Uchumi, KQ, NBK, etc!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#2335 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 6:57:16 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

Applause Applause Applause
The same with Uchumi, KQ, NBK, etc!

Lovely piece by @kusadikika, MSC to be sold off as scrap metal! @vvs KQ will never be allowed to die and everyone knows that

HaMaina
#2336 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 10:30:52 AM

Kusadikika wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

I can see you took time for your writeup, vague in my view and poorly thought out. Mumias is not the only factory we're talking of here, we are talking of 5 government factories plus Mumias, not to mention the private millers who I don't think can produce sugar at the same cost as foreign companies, they are only profitable because of the government regulations. When cover was almost killed in central where I'm from by the way, that's when groups like mungiki came up, western and nyanza regions should start looking for their own version of Maina njenga.
HaMaina
#2337 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 10:35:24 AM

HaMaina wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

I can see you took time for your writeup, vague in my view and poorly thought out. Mumias is not the only factory we're talking of here, we are talking of 5 government factories plus Mumias, not to mention the private millers who I don't think can produce sugar at the same cost as foreign companies, they are only profitable because of the government regulations. When coffee was almost killed in central where I'm from by the way, that's when groups like mungiki came up, western and nyanza regions should start looking for their own version of maina njenga.

obiero
#2338 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 12:32:32 PM

HaMaina wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

I can see you took time for your writeup, vague in my view and poorly thought out. Mumias is not the only factory we're talking of here, we are talking of 5 government factories plus Mumias, not to mention the private millers who I don't think can produce sugar at the same cost as foreign companies, they are only profitable because of the government regulations. When coffee was almost killed in central where I'm from by the way, that's when groups like mungiki came up, western and nyanza regions should start looking for their own version of maina njenga.

God forbid

mozenrat
#2339 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 2:34:52 PM

HaMaina wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

I can see you took time for your writeup, vague in my view and poorly thought out. Mumias is not the only factory we're talking of here, we are talking of 5 government factories plus Mumias, not to mention the private millers who I don't think can produce sugar at the same cost as foreign companies, they are only profitable because of the government regulations. When cover was almost killed in central where I'm from by the way, that's when groups like mungiki came up, western and nyanza regions should start looking for their own version of Maina njenga.

Which coffee was grown in Muranga and Laikipia? Rewriting history?

And even if we were to concede that point, which I dont... it means issue was failure to provide alternatives that can make at least or more than the pathetic coins Mumias pays to farmers which should be the objective of leaders there... maybe move to Sorghum or wheat or millet
Kusadikika
#2340 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 5:06:30 PM

mozenrat wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
HaMaina wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

A tragedy

Which coffee was grown in Muranga and Laikipia? Rewriting history?

And even if we were to concede that point, which I dont... it means issue was failure to provide alternatives that can make at least or more than the pathetic coins Mumias pays to farmers which should be the objective of leaders there... maybe move to Sorghum or wheat or millet

I guess this is the problem right here. That the factories are owned by the government which means that the sugar factories are insulated from the incentives to make any changes. There is nothing special about sugar. If sugarcane cannot be grown profitably and processed into sugar in Western Kenya then it should not be grown. Government should sell its stake in all sugar factories and let the market decide if sugarcane growing is a viable business in Western Kenya. Maybe Western Kenya could be earning 10 times as much growing sweet potatoes or sorghum or Mukhobero. For as long as the sugar mills are propped up by government they will never explore alternatives. Losses without the prospect of being bailed out would force them to explore alternatives.