wazua Sun, Jul 22, 2018
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages«<12131415>
Future of Safaricom - break up due to dominance!
Angelica _ann
#261 Posted : Sunday, October 01, 2017 10:47:04 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 8,759
gatoho wrote:
watesh wrote:
[quote=bartum]Safaricom set to enter into 50% shareholding with Ethiopias mobile network ethio

Will be the juiciest thing Safaricom has ever done if this pulls through. I hope its true
RINK: http://www.theeastafrica...140-10jjv3tz/index.html[/quote]

Murchr says no


Ethiopia is a no no!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
murchr
#262 Posted : Sunday, October 01, 2017 11:23:48 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 12,948
gatoho wrote:
watesh wrote:
bartum wrote:
Safaricom set to enter into 50% shareholding with Ethiopias mobile network ethio


Will be the juiciest thing Safaricom has ever done if this pulls through. I hope its true
RINK: http://www.theeastafrica...140-10jjv3tz/index.html



Murchr says no


Seems like its a rumor but noted.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
piedpiper
#263 Posted : Sunday, October 01, 2017 11:28:24 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 8/21/2017
Posts: 24
Location: Mombasa
Life is a beach and I'm just playing in the sand
maka
#264 Posted : Sunday, October 01, 2017 11:51:55 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 4/22/2010
Posts: 10,363
Location: Nairobi
How many banks does Ethiopia have?
possunt quia posse videntur
innairobi
#265 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 12:51:28 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 9/2/2010
Posts: 845
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.
All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
Ericsson
#266 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 6:40:12 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 4,929
Location: NAIROBI
piedpiper wrote:

If it were to happen safaricom would have to take a huge debt or do a rights issue to raise money for the acquisition
VituVingiSana
#267 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 9:35:19 AM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,293
Location: Nairobi
innairobi wrote:
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.

It's better/safer for Safcom to partner to first partner with a decent "private" bank than a large state-owned bank. CBE may have breadth but usually such banks have lots of siasa so bureaucracy and nationalism would run rife. A smaller (private) bank can implement M-Pesa faster [though it needs to get Ethioptel on board] and has an incentive to expand its mobile outreach. Think CBA (Kenya) with limited branches yet M-Shwari in conjunction with Safaricom spread all over Kenya. KCB was a late entrant. Equity's relationship with Safcom soured.

I hope Safcom can crack the market coz it will be huge for them!!!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#268 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 4:38:46 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 4,929
Location: NAIROBI
VituVingiSana wrote:
innairobi wrote:
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.

It's better/safer for Safcom to partner to first partner with a decent "private" bank than a large state-owned bank. CBE may have breadth but usually such banks have lots of siasa so bureaucracy and nationalism would run rife. A smaller (private) bank can implement M-Pesa faster [though it needs to get Ethioptel on board] and has an incentive to expand its mobile outreach. Think CBA (Kenya) with limited branches yet M-Shwari in conjunction with Safaricom spread all over Kenya. KCB was a late entrant. Equity's relationship with Safcom soured.

I hope Safcom can crack the market coz it will be huge for them!!!


Topic is safaricom acquiring a stake in Ethiopia telecom.
Sasa bank fulani imetokea wapi
VituVingiSana
#269 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 7:14:49 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,293
Location: Nairobi
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
innairobi wrote:
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.

It's better/safer for Safcom to partner to first partner with a decent "private" bank than a large state-owned bank. CBE may have breadth but usually such banks have lots of siasa so bureaucracy and nationalism would run rife. A smaller (private) bank can implement M-Pesa faster [though it needs to get Ethioptel on board] and has an incentive to expand its mobile outreach. Think CBA (Kenya) with limited branches yet M-Shwari in conjunction with Safaricom spread all over Kenya. KCB was a late entrant. Equity's relationship with Safcom soured.

I hope Safcom can crack the market coz it will be huge for them!!!


Topic is safaricom acquiring a stake in Ethiopia telecom.
Sasa bank fulani imetokea wapi

"We wish to categorically state that we are not engaged in any conversations with Ethio Telecom on this matter" Bob Collymore
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#270 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 7:52:16 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 4,929
Location: NAIROBI
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
innairobi wrote:
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.

It's better/safer for Safcom to partner to first partner with a decent "private" bank than a large state-owned bank. CBE may have breadth but usually such banks have lots of siasa so bureaucracy and nationalism would run rife. A smaller (private) bank can implement M-Pesa faster [though it needs to get Ethioptel on board] and has an incentive to expand its mobile outreach. Think CBA (Kenya) with limited branches yet M-Shwari in conjunction with Safaricom spread all over Kenya. KCB was a late entrant. Equity's relationship with Safcom soured.

I hope Safcom can crack the market coz it will be huge for them!!!


Topic is safaricom acquiring a stake in Ethiopia telecom.
Sasa bank fulani imetokea wapi

"We wish to categorically state that we are not engaged in any conversations with Ethio Telecom on this matter" Bob Collymore


And ulitoa wapi story of partnering with a bank
VituVingiSana
#271 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 9:27:35 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,293
Location: Nairobi
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
innairobi wrote:
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.

It's better/safer for Safcom to partner to first partner with a decent "private" bank than a large state-owned bank. CBE may have breadth but usually such banks have lots of siasa so bureaucracy and nationalism would run rife. A smaller (private) bank can implement M-Pesa faster [though it needs to get Ethioptel on board] and has an incentive to expand its mobile outreach. Think CBA (Kenya) with limited branches yet M-Shwari in conjunction with Safaricom spread all over Kenya. KCB was a late entrant. Equity's relationship with Safcom soured.

I hope Safcom can crack the market coz it will be huge for them!!!


Topic is safaricom acquiring a stake in Ethiopia telecom.
Sasa bank fulani imetokea wapi

"We wish to categorically state that we are not engaged in any conversations with Ethio Telecom on this matter" Bob Collymore


And ulitoa wapi story of partnering with a bank

I said I would like Safaricom to partner with a decent private Ethiopian bank. Why are you getting stressed out about that?

Safcom can deploy the M-Pesa platform on the cheap [not easy though to work in ET] with a ET bank which can then hook up with Ethiopia Telcom. Safcom then gets a cut of the action...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#272 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 10:18:41 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 4,929
Location: NAIROBI
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
innairobi wrote:
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.

It's better/safer for Safcom to partner to first partner with a decent "private" bank than a large state-owned bank. CBE may have breadth but usually such banks have lots of siasa so bureaucracy and nationalism would run rife. A smaller (private) bank can implement M-Pesa faster [though it needs to get Ethioptel on board] and has an incentive to expand its mobile outreach. Think CBA (Kenya) with limited branches yet M-Shwari in conjunction with Safaricom spread all over Kenya. KCB was a late entrant. Equity's relationship with Safcom soured.

I hope Safcom can crack the market coz it will be huge for them!!!


Topic is safaricom acquiring a stake in Ethiopia telecom.
Sasa bank fulani imetokea wapi

"We wish to categorically state that we are not engaged in any conversations with Ethio Telecom on this matter" Bob Collymore


And ulitoa wapi story of partnering with a bank

I said I would like Safaricom to partner with a decent private Ethiopian bank. Why are you getting stressed out about that?

Safcom can deploy the M-Pesa platform on the cheap [not easy though to work in ET] with a ET bank which can then hook up with Ethiopia Telcom. Safcom then gets a cut of the action...


Fantasy thinking;my fren you are in ethiopia where industries belong to the state.
Take time and read about the structure of the ethiopian economy
VituVingiSana
#273 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 11:27:27 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,293
Location: Nairobi
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
innairobi wrote:
maka wrote:
How many banks does Ethiopia have?


more than a dozen. in reality though, there is one dominant state-owned behemoth called commercial bank of ethiopia. kama nakumbuka, CBE assets are like 70 percent of the country's entire banking industry's.

It's better/safer for Safcom to partner to first partner with a decent "private" bank than a large state-owned bank. CBE may have breadth but usually such banks have lots of siasa so bureaucracy and nationalism would run rife. A smaller (private) bank can implement M-Pesa faster [though it needs to get Ethioptel on board] and has an incentive to expand its mobile outreach. Think CBA (Kenya) with limited branches yet M-Shwari in conjunction with Safaricom spread all over Kenya. KCB was a late entrant. Equity's relationship with Safcom soured.

I hope Safcom can crack the market coz it will be huge for them!!!


Topic is safaricom acquiring a stake in Ethiopia telecom.
Sasa bank fulani imetokea wapi

"We wish to categorically state that we are not engaged in any conversations with Ethio Telecom on this matter" Bob Collymore


And ulitoa wapi story of partnering with a bank

I said I would like Safaricom to partner with a decent private Ethiopian bank. Why are you getting stressed out about that?

Safcom can deploy the M-Pesa platform on the cheap [not easy though to work in ET] with a ET bank which can then hook up with Ethiopia Telcom. Safcom then gets a cut of the action...


Fantasy thinking;my fren you are in ethiopia where industries belong to the state.
Take time and read about the structure of the ethiopian economy

So why get stressed out about a fantasy of mine?

[Safcom isn't a core holding for me because of a big mistake I made back in the day & one I hope I learn from. It's a cash machine.]
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#274 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:31:36 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 4,929
Location: NAIROBI
Ethiopia's central bank devalues currency by 15% and hikes rates

http://www.africanews.co...nt-devaluation-of-birr/

The measure is seen by economic players as helping to boost the growth of the country’s export sector which has experienced a sluggish outlook. It is also expected to reduce forex shortages and to ease debt burden.

Above article is related to reasons the Ethiopian government wanted Safaricom to get a stake in Ethio telecom
shocks
#275 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:20:42 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/15/2009
Posts: 313
Ericsson wrote:
Ethiopia's central bank devalues currency by 15% and hikes rates

And Kenya takes pole position as the biggest economy in the region again,GDP nominal $
obiero
#276 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:59:33 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/23/2009
Posts: 9,376
Location: nairobi
shocks wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Ethiopia's central bank devalues currency by 15% and hikes rates

And Kenya takes pole position as the biggest economy in the region again,GDP nominal $

We would be larger than Spain were it not for corruption
DISCLAIMER: @obiero, MBA-MIS, CISA. Opinionated, owner of www.winda.co.ke. Aims to be factual and logical..
Ebenyo
#277 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:34:26 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/4/2016
Posts: 1,233
Location: Kitale
obiero wrote:
shocks wrote:
[quote=Ericsson]Ethiopia's central bank devalues currency by 15% and hikes rates

And Kenya takes pole position as the biggest economy in the region again,GDP nominal $

We would be larger than Spain were it not for corruption [/quote


Malaysia and Singapore could have been behind us too.
Dont work for money.Let your money work for you.
obiero
#278 Posted : Sunday, July 08, 2018 6:50:50 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/23/2009
Posts: 9,376
Location: nairobi
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:
shocks wrote:
[quote=Ericsson]Ethiopia's central bank devalues currency by 15% and hikes rates

And Kenya takes pole position as the biggest economy in the region again,GDP nominal $

We would be larger than Spain were it not for corruption [/quote


Malaysia and Singapore could have been behind us too.

Here is parliament ready to wreck the telco party of high charges... https://www.businessdail...51060-okna16z/index.html
DISCLAIMER: @obiero, MBA-MIS, CISA. Opinionated, owner of www.winda.co.ke. Aims to be factual and logical..
Ericsson
#279 Posted : Sunday, July 08, 2018 7:42:03 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 4,929
Location: NAIROBI
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:
[quote=shocks][quote=Ericsson]Ethiopia's central bank devalues currency by 15% and hikes rates

And Kenya takes pole position as the biggest economy in the region again,GDP nominal $

We would be larger than Spain were it not for corruption [/quote


Malaysia and Singapore could have been behind us too.

Here is parliament ready to wreck the telco party of high charges... https://www.businessdail...1060-okna16z/index.html[/quote]

Not going anywhere.The parliamentarians just want to get bribes.
obiero
#280 Posted : Sunday, July 08, 2018 7:55:06 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/23/2009
Posts: 9,376
Location: nairobi
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
obiero wrote:
shocks wrote:
[quote=Ericsson]Ethiopia's central bank devalues currency by 15% and hikes rates

And Kenya takes pole position as the biggest economy in the region again,GDP nominal $

We would be larger than Spain were it not for corruption [/quote


Malaysia and Singapore could have been behind us too.

Here is parliament ready to wreck the telco party of high charges... https://www.businessdail...1060-okna16z/index.html


Not going anywhere.The parliamentarians just want to get bribes.

This is the same thing that was said about the rate cap. All that is required is a committed mover of motion.. It's true that the charges are way too high for a developing state
DISCLAIMER: @obiero, MBA-MIS, CISA. Opinionated, owner of www.winda.co.ke. Aims to be factual and logical..
Users browsing this topic
Guest
15 Pages«<12131415>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Copyright © 2018 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.