wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
Dropping Swahili as a Subject in Schools.
Lolest!
#41 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:43:37 AM

Uhuru's son's embarrassing zero Kiswahili is proof that we still need this language in our schools
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Fullykenyan
#42 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:15:04 AM

That is very embarassing for a president. A president is the custodian of our values, custom and culture and if his son can't speak kiswahili, i wonder why he insists so much being the president. I got my kids abroad with a non-kenyan woman and my kids speak better kiswahili than that boy from the so called first family
masukuma
#43 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:23:58 AM

Fullykenyan wrote:
That is very embarassing for a president. A president is the custodian of our values, custom and culture and if his son can't speak kiswahili, i wonder why he insists so much being the president. I got my kids abroad with a non-kenyan woman and my kids speak better kiswahili than that boy from the so called first family

We need this language - pretty soon everyone will be reading from a phone when they wish to communicate with others. I don't even think most of you understand the CULTURAL value of Swahili...
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
kayhara
#44 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:46:02 AM

I do not want to watch that video, I am embarrassed for our president, does he know kikuyu perhaps if not then it spells the political death of the kenyatta family, trust me if the young guy tries to vie for any political seat kwanza MCA, MP or senator the bashing he shall receive will be proper, the HOUSE is not as forgiving as the Kales for Gideon Moi
To Each His Own
Kusadikika
#45 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:41:10 PM

kayhara wrote:
I do not want to watch that video, I am embarrassed for our president, does he know kikuyu perhaps if not then it spells the political death of the kenyatta family, trust me if the young guy tries to vie for any political seat kwanza MCA, MP or senator the bashing he shall receive will be proper, the HOUSE is not as forgiving as the Kales for Gideon Moi

Come on. That boy is still young and he can learn. Even Gideon has become more fluent with time. He is not like he was 10 years ago. He speaks more Kalenjin than English which has helped to blunt out the tweng. What this boy needs is to spend more time with Moses Kuria so he can learn 'thug' talk first, he needs to learn to talk like he is angry then the rest will come naturally.
Fullykenyan
#46 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:09:04 PM

masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

We need this language - pretty soon everyone will be reading from a phone when they wish to communicate with others. I don't even think most of you understand the CULTURAL value of Swahili...

Exactly Masukuma. We kenyans dont appreciate that, we are among the few black people, that have a national language, that is culturally very rich. I think only Igbo can parallel Kiswahili, when it comes to richness of a language in africa We need to preserve it,speak it right and write it right grammatically.If Uhuru had senses he would have long time found a tutor for his children. He has the money,doesn't he?Uhuru pretends to hate everything that is western yet his children can't converse, in what in future, is going to africa's lingua franca
sitaki.kujulikana
#47 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:51:03 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Come on. That boy is still young and he can learn. Even Gideon has become more fluent with time. He is not like he was 10 years ago. He speaks more Kalenjin than English which has helped to blunt out the tweng. What this boy needs is to spend more time with Moses Kuria so he can learn 'thug' talk first, he needs to learn to talk like he is angry then the rest will come naturally.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly itakuwa ngumu especially working on the angry facial expressions
Angelica _ann
#48 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:55:52 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly itakuwa ngumu especially working on the angry facial expressions

Pole pole he will make it, he is in good company 'my fren' smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
masukuma
#49 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:32:36 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Exactly Masukuma. We kenyans dont appreciate that, we are among the few black people, that have a national language THAT IS OURS AND NOT PIDGIN, that is culturally very rich. I think only Igbo can parallel Kiswahili, when it comes to richness of a language in africa We need to preserve it,speak it right and write it right grammatically.If Uhuru had senses he would have long time found a tutor for his children. He has the money,doesn't he?Uhuru pretends to hate everything that is western yet his children can't converse, in what in future, is going to africa's lingua franca

I wish people travelled around and understood how special to us and africa in general Swahili is!!
hardwood
#50 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:29:29 PM

masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Exactly Masukuma. We kenyans dont appreciate that, we are among the few black people, that have a national language THAT IS OURS AND NOT PIDGIN, that is culturally very rich. I think only Igbo can parallel Kiswahili, when it comes to richness of a language in africa We need to preserve it,speak it right and write it right grammatically.If Uhuru had senses he would have long time found a tutor for his children. He has the money,doesn't he?Uhuru pretends to hate everything that is western yet his children can't converse, in what in future, is going to africa's lingua franca

I wish people travelled around and understood how special to us and africa in general Swahili is!!

Aren't you the same guys who complain when an okuyo speaks the language of his forefathers, the gikuyu language in public? And you say that an okuyo should speak his language only when hiding in the toilet? What kind of hypocrisy us this where you are advocating for African languages but when someone speaks in okuyo unaanza kushuta?
Fullykenyan
#51 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:31:58 PM

masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Everytime i meet a European who speaks Swahili,They always tell me"Nyinyi Wakenya hamfahamu Kiswahili..".Very painful to hear that. I consider Kiswahili my first language and it was very important for me that my kids converse in it
hardwood
#52 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:49:29 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Everytime i meet a European who speaks Swahili,They always tell me"Nyinyi Wakenya hamfahamu Kiswahili..".Very painful to hear that. I consider Kiswahili my first language and it was very important for me that my kids converse in it

What about gikuyu? FYI kiswahili is also a foreign language that was borne out of the cohabitation of Arabs and bantus at the east African coast. Why should you praise such an infidel language, a language of umalaya that developed when mwarabu wanted Bantu pucci and not your original one, the language of your forefathers?
Fullykenyan
#53 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:38:48 PM

hardwood wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

What about gikuyu? FYI kiswahili is also a foreign language that was borne out of the cohabitation of Arabs and bantus at the east African coast. Why should you praise such an infidel language, a language of umalaya that developed when mwarabu wanted Bantu pucci and not your original one, the language of your forefathers?

@Hardwood sometimes it is hard to believe you are doing a PHD. FYI Kiswahili is not a fusion of Arabic and Bantu languages. Kiswahili is a typical Bantu language just like anyother bantu language. It is Prof Mazrui who propagated the false theory that Kiswahili came about as a fusion of both tribes. Kiswahili was there before the arabs. Kikuyu is not to be compared with kiswahili. Kikuyu is just a mere tribal language, that is not rich at all compared to kiswahili and Igbo. What can you achieve with kikuyu?
Lolest!
#54 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:44:33 AM

fullikenian wrote:
@Hardwood sometimes it is hard to believe you are doing a PHD. FYI Kiswahili is not a fusion of Arabic and Bantu languages. Kiswahili is a typical Bantu language just like anyother bantu language. It is Prof Mazrui who propagated the false theory that Kiswahili came about as a fusion of both tribes. Kiswahili was there before the arabs. Kikuyu is not to be compared with kiswahili. Kikuyu is just a mere tribal language, that is not rich at all compared to kiswahili and Igbo. What can you achieve with kikuyu?

1. What do you mean by Kikuyu is not rich as compared to Kiswahili and Igbo?

2. How is Kiswahili just a Bantu language? While it's dominated by largely Bantu words Arabic words are very many.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
masukuma
#55 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:26:54 AM

Lolest! wrote:
fullikenian wrote:

1. What do you mean by Kikuyu is not rich as compared to Kiswahili and Igbo?

2. How is Kiswahili just a Bantu language? While it's dominated by largely Bantu words Arabic words are very many.

Lets talk about Swahili words in English and compare them with Arabic words in Swahili.
Safari in swahili is exactly the same word in English,
the game Jenga - which is literally building
some can argue Manyatta or Boma as well

Lets talk about "arabic" words in Swahili...
which ones Salamu - Salam... it's been Bantu-nized
Kitabu - Kitab
Wakili - Wakil
e.t.c. unlike swahili words that got adopted in English and remain the same - Arabic words that were adopted in Swahili changed! It's almost in the same way the French words in English after the Norman invasion were kept https://en.wikipedia.org..._words_of_French_origin

dare you say that the word "money" or "officer" or "table" is not english! it's not OLD ENGLISH but is ENGLISH!
The richness of a language is simply increased by it's reach!
Kikuyu's richness cannot be compared to Swahili's richness - do you have the word X ray in Kikuyu? the last time I checked (more that 10 years ago ) Password was "karitwa ka hitho" <- a "description" not a "word" for password.
Lastly, Who other than native Kikuyu speakers have adapted it as theirs? Swahili like Arabic, like French like Spanish or Portuguese and English has more non-native speakers than native speakers. i.e. more people learn it as a second language than those that were born speaking it! now that's the classiness of a language - how well accepted by others it is! in that regard Swahili is not even in the same class as Mandarin - the language with the most native speakers!

Kiswahili kitukuzwe!
Fullykenyan
#56 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:35:56 PM

Just to add to what Masukuma has written. The fact that Swahili has arabic words, it does not make it Arabic. English has so many infuence from german, does this now make english,german?If english was to be considered german because of these influences, how would you describe english having found out that it is also heavily influenced by greece, french, italian and even swahili. Swahili has alot of german words too, for example Shule, Mananasi etc. Portuguese influence like bendera, meza etc. Persian words like gari. If kiswahili was arabic just because it contains some arabic words, then it should also be considered german and portuguese too. For a language to be considered rich, it must have lots of similes, proverbs, metaphors and its grammar must be well developed and dynamic. Kikuyu and luo and other kenyan tribes are not that rich considering this criteria.Like i wrote before, it is only Swahili and igbo that fulfill this criteria. Actually, Igbo is the only tribe in africa that can be called a nation, the rest are mere tribes. Kiswahili tibim!!, Kiswahili tialala!!
Kusadikika
#57 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:04:12 PM

AlphDoti
#58 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:41:07 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

I hope the PHD will somehow change @Hardwood mentality to view the world in a different manner. There is something called diversity which I think lacks. Hopefully, interactions with professors and other students from diverse backgrounds will induce his inclusive sense.
kaka2za
#59 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:21:31 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

I hope the PHD will somehow change @Hardwood mentality to view the world in a different manner. There is something called diversity which I think lacks. Hopefully, interactions with professors and other students from diverse backgrounds will induce his inclusive sense.

Present day Kikuyu has so many English,Maasai and Kiswahili words but language is dynamic.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
hardwood
#60 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:11:38 PM

kaka2za wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Present day Kikuyu has so many English,Maasai and Kiswahili words but language is dynamic.

An Englishman speaks in his native English language. The same with the Frenchman, German, Japanese, Chinese, Arab etc. And they do so because they believe that no language is superior to the other. So why should an okuyo be forced to express himself not in his language gikuyu but in an alien language from somewhere in the distant east African coast called kiswahili?