wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is having two jobs illegal?
pariah
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 11:27:57 AM

Hi Wazuans

I have a difficult decision to make. I am employed by a USA donor programme but the salary is remitted through a public institution so I essentially have a payslip for a yearly renewable contract. This job is mostly research.

I have just been offered a full-time position in a public University. This position is GoK funded and its permanent and pensionable.

In terms of practicality, it is possible to perform sufficiently in both positions. So I would like to know if I will be breaking any lawas if I accept the university position and still keep my current job as a 'consultancy'

Thank you
Gathige
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 11:47:26 AM

pariah wrote:
Hi Wazuans

I have a difficult decision to make. I am employed by a USA donor programme but the salary is remitted through a public institution so I essentially have a payslip for a yearly renewable contract. This job is mostly research.

I have just been offered a full-time position in a public University. This position is GoK funded and its permanent and pensionable.

In terms of practicality, it is possible to perform sufficiently in both positions. So I would like to know if I will be breaking any lawas if I accept the university position and still keep my current job as a 'consultancy'

Thank you

@ Pariah, You cannot effectively serve two masters. choose of the two Jobs the one you like most and stick to it, and you will be happy.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Bigchick
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 11:48:35 AM

pariah wrote:
Hi Wazuans

Thank you

I think it depends on the employer.Ask them is they have an issue with you doing something on the side..To the best of my knowledge it is not illigal so long as there is no conflict of interest.

In banks they are clear you cannot hold any other job.So even part time lectures you have to be paid from petty cash☺

Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
tycho
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 12:34:29 PM

There's a probability that you're asking wazuans to support you in being a 'ghost worker'.

Then you don't want to pay a lawyer to advice you. Why do you want to risk your fortunes on people who may not even know the right questions to ask?

Of course you can be your own lawyer, but clearly you're refusing to be one.

This is just one curious situation!
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 1:25:27 PM

What on your employment contract?

BBI will solve it
:)
Gakware
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 2:35:07 PM

pariah wrote:
Hi Wazuans

Thank you

If you can hack it, why not!!!!!!! bora usishikweShame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you
The past is the past, you either run from it or learn from it!
Angelica _ann
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 2:49:05 PM

2012 wrote:
What on your employment contract?

Also s/he needs to check the policy of the organizations on 'other paid employment' in the Human Resource Policy Manual!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
sitaki.kujulikana
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 6:05:06 PM

si hata Orengo ni senator na lawyer, hata uhuru alikuwa president na president elect, even rao ni presidential candidate and iebc staff change consultant so having two jobs is not an illegality but it might be an irregularity and that can be a cause for both your jobs being nullified.
pariah
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:25:12 AM

Thank you wazuans for your thoughts
Here is what I learnt. From GoK' perspective it is not illegal to have two jobs, what GoK does not want is you to have two GoK paying jobs. In my case only the lecturer position is GoK-funded while the other one is an NGO. So I am safe on that count

From KRAs perspective, the first income is taxed on a 'graduated basis', the second income is be taxed on a flat rate of 30%. I get to choose which income is my first income and inform the HR of my second job to submit my taxes on a 30% flat rate. Alternatively, I could let them do their thing and wait until April when filing returns to pay the difference directly to KRA.

None of my employers have a probleM with me cheating on either of them with the other, so I will try to keep both jobs for as long as I can.

Asanteni
Bykhovets
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:25:47 AM

It is selfish to have 2 jobs. You will be like the hyena that arrived at a forked path and wanted to take both paths - splitting itself into half in the process. Working 2 jobs is not easy. Especially one in projects and another in academia. You will be average in both or perform dismally in one. Choose one and stick to it. I am sure that there exist other capable people to perform either of the jobs. In these harsh economic times, let another Kenyan get a source of income.

Project jobs are based on funding - if there's funding for the next 2-3 years, keep it. NGOs are ok places to work for despite the yearly contracts. You have to propose, deliver, perform and report on time. Working in a public university is similar to working in public service (bureaucracy, poor services etc.). Teaching the current crop of millennials is also not easy. In addition, supporting teaching services or research is often not as satisfying as you might think. P&P provides job security and easy access to credit.
"Occasionally I drop a tea cup to shatter on the floor. On purpose. I am not satisfied when it does not gather itself up again. Someday perhaps that cup will come together."