wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<34567>»
BREAKING NEWS......Kadhis Courts are illegal
masukuma
#81 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 5:35:31 PM

only in kenya can people fight to be discriminated upon instead of ensuring that we have a FAIR document.
It doesn't have to be a PERFECT document - it has to be a FAIR AND JUST ONE.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
nanfor1
#82 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 5:42:50 PM

I'm sorry Masukuma but this ruling has just reminded Kenyans of the judiciary we have. It won't work. Its gotten the whole internet mad instead.

Even blatantly having a fundamentalist judge in this ruling is unlawful to say the least.

i am still waiting for the sharp guy who is going to tell me what precedent was followed since it seems these 3 have decided that the current constitution we have is illegal. This should be a study in law school.

In the meantime, can we return Kilindini harbour to the Sultan? Or is that illegal too?

Do those celebrating now agree with me that CRE should be banned from all schools since it sets this one religion higher than my aetheist one? Maybe its time we shut down all these christian church colleges since they are saying their religion is superior.

Absolute madness!
Hata wakizima taa
masukuma
#83 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 5:46:20 PM

@nanfor1, as long as the Kadhi's courts remain at the coast. everyone is happy - since that was the agreement.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
nanfor1
#84 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 5:47:46 PM

masukuma wrote:
@nanfor1, as long as the Kadhi's courts remain at the coast. everyone is happy - since that was the agreement.

Masukuma while at it why not all kikuyus stay in central?

these kind of arguments belong in the trashbin.

Your judges have broken the law and unfortunately it has only energised Yes voters who had forgotten the Moi apologists in the church.

this law will not be implemented in Kenya and on August 4th those 3 judges will be no more. What a day what a day.
Hata wakizima taa
mkenyan
#85 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 5:54:33 PM

nanfor1 wrote:
I'm sorry Masukuma but this ruling has just reminded Kenyans of the judiciary we have. It won't work. Its gotten the whole internet mad instead.

Even blatantly having a fundamentalist judge in this ruling is unlawful to say the least.

i am still waiting for the sharp guy who is going to tell me what precedent was followed since it seems these 3 have decided that the current constitution we have is illegal. This should be a study in law school.

In the meantime, can we return Kilindini harbour to the Sultan? Or is that illegal too?

Do those celebrating now agree with me that CRE should be banned from all schools since it sets this one religion higher than my aetheist one? Maybe its time we shut down all these christian church colleges since they are saying their religion is superior.

Absolute madness!

nanfor, unfortunately you wont get any 'precedent' from masukuma and company. the fact is, if you take the constitution as the supreme law of the country then you can never question anything it says. all it says should be legal. the constitution says that if any law is inconsistent with it then that law is void to the extent of that inconsistency.

it does not say that there are provisions of the constitution which are more supreme than the other and if anything in the constitution is inconsistent with them then the same are void.

that is a fallacy. have gotten a copy of the ruling and want to see how the good judges have gone about declaring illegal the very document that gives them the power to seat as a constitutional court.

it should be noted that in kenya we have a written constitution, as opposed to the UK where they have a constitution based on the supremacy of parliament and thus the various acts of parliament.
radio
#86 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:03:40 PM

Kudos masukuma.
mkenyan
#87 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:04:50 PM

Ngalaka wrote:

Mkenyan

Given your argument then what are constitutional courts for?

Or whenever there is a dispute over interpretation of the constitution, who is supposed to give an intepretation that is binding?

Now it's what faith they are!!!!!!

on your first point, when all is said and done, a constitutional court derives its very existence from the constitution and when in interpreting it they declare the very constitution illegal (when all is said and done, that is what they have done) then they in effect they declare the very base in which they stand illegal.

my humble belief is that constitutional court should construe and protect the constitution, not amend it.

to try and make it clearer, when justice ojwang was still a lecturer, there is this student in his 'constitutional theory' class who once referred to judicial precedence as 'judge made laws' and he quickly rebuked him and made it clear to him that judges don't make laws, they merely construe them. put it in context here.

on the religious inclinations of the judge, given that it is the churches that have been most vocal about the inclusion of the kadhi courts in proposed constitution, i do not really need to spell out for you the relevance.
mkenyan
#88 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:08:48 PM

Wendz wrote:
Haiya, I think we better just get used to living with the old constitution and make the best out of it~!!!!! clearly, we arent getting it any time soon.

QFT
nanfor1
#89 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:10:32 PM

mkenyan

what scares me more is a bunch of fake christians going around beaming with glee. These are the same games the judiciary used to play in Moi's era. To these fellows as long as there are no Kadhis courts, Kenya is the land of milk and honey.

Very dangerous fellows these religious nuts.
Hata wakizima taa
Mpenzi
#90 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:12:58 PM

The Constitutional Court had not legislated!! It has simply interpreted the Constitution and come to the conclusion that some of it's provisions are discriminatory. The court was very careful to state that it has no
powers to amend the Constitution however bad it might be - that it is up to Kenyans to do that if they so wish.
Brewer
#91 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:15:30 PM

You must respect Nanfor1 who appears to have read the ruling when all of us are relying on the 'breaking news'- personally in the daily nation website. The news is that certain Kenyans went to court with a grievance and some three judges agreed with them. The rest is in some 115 pages of a ruling ambayo tutapata tu.

Tutajisomea, tutajitafsiria, tutajiamulia, na kama kuna 'glaring errors' tutasema.

nanfor1
#92 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:19:18 PM

Mpenzi wrote:
The Constitutional Court had not legislated!! It has simply interpreted the Constitution and come to the conclusion that some of it's provisions are discriminatory. The court was very careful to state that it has no
powers to amend the Constitution however bad it might be - that it is up to Kenyans to do that if they so wish.

Mpenzi can you please be clear.

Did this court interpret the constitution?

By so doing did it set precedent?

Is one of these precedent that it has found a clause illlegal?

by saying that one religion is being promoted ahead of others, does it mean that CRE should be banned in schools and catholic University should be banned too?

Please, lets be clear. This was an ill timed and unprecedented ruling. That is why you see nearly all lawyers in shock! For once lawyers are in agreement.

while people are busy celebrating the unheralded death of Kadhis courts, this ruling effectively means the death of all mission hospitals and christian colleges. Their mere presence is discriminating against me.
Hata wakizima taa
mkenyan
#93 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:19:19 PM

nanfor1 wrote:
mkenyan

what scares me more is a bunch of fake christians going around beaming with glee. These are the same games the judiciary used to play in Moi's era. To these fellows as long as there are no Kadhis courts, Kenya is the land of milk and honey.

Very dangerous fellows these religious nuts.

i think some will side with that just because it somehow furthers their cause and would not pause to question the substance and effects of the ruling.

good thing is that whatever the court will say on the proposed constitution, if it is subjected to a referendum and it becomes law then their view would be akin to declaring the wish of kenyans illegal.

still, lets see what the court of appeal will say about it.
mkenyan
#94 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:22:32 PM

Mpenzi wrote:

good of them to state that they have no power to amend the constitution when in effect by declaring the section illegal they have for all intent and purposes purported to amend it.

otherwise what do you think is the result of this ruling in respect to the relevant sections?
rupshi
#95 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:28:54 PM

@ nanfor. CRE is not discriminatory, as there is also IRE and HRE (Islamic and Hindu) taught in schools. There are Mission Hospitals, and schools as there are Muslim run Hospitals and schools, and none of them are funded by the government. So how are they discriminatory???
simonkabz
#96 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:32:55 PM

I give up. A wonderful chance to have a new good constitution, many times better than what we already have, has possibly been ruined. Over 200 great clauses as 3 judges dwell on one; while one ignorant saddist shouts himself hoarse in this thread coz of 2 or 3 clauses he cant even xplain how bad they are....All I have are prayers 4 this country, n the success of the draft on aug. 4th. Mathukuma, alongside MO1, be happy now that your current (old) constitution is gaining ground on our proposed draft.....dishonest whining kenyans who still beleive in PERFECT......only in the dictionary!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
famooz
#97 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:34:22 PM

@ MASUKUMAApplause Applause Applause you have tirelessly argued your point- this could be make even those who thought the process had reached a point of NO return to realise there is need for dialogue.......who knows may be,just may be they will listen?
mkenyan
#98 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:38:52 PM

ibsi wrote:
We live in a world of plurality and for there to be tolerance, something which relates to religion should not be enshrined in a document which should be used by all people in the country. Our muslim brothers and sisters should also know that the circumstances which made the kadhi courts to be put in the constitution were different. By the way, the costal strip never belonged to Sultans. It belongs to indigenous black africans. These indigenous africans are now the poor at the cost and the colonial arabs are now pretending to be the indigenous.

the coastal strip sure never belonged to the sultans, just as kenya never belonged to the british. as well as other colonies. so why don't we just challenge the way african countries were partitioned in the first instance and do it afresh.

in fact the british never had the authority to 'grant' us independence in the first place.

you see where that one is going?
mkenyan
#99 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:45:16 PM

rupshi wrote:
@ nanfor. CRE is not discriminatory, as there is also IRE and HRE (Islamic and Hindu) taught in schools. There are Mission Hospitals, and schools as there are Muslim run Hospitals and schools, and none of them are funded by the government. So how are they discriminatory???

but where is the african religious studies? what of the jewish ones? what of the religion of those who do not believe in God? are students tested for there in the national exams?

why does the proposed constitution in its preamble state that:

'ACKNOWLEDGING the supremacy of the Almighty God of all creation....'

not every religion believe in God and remember according to our good judges there has to be equality for all even in the constitution.

the problem i have with this ruling is as nanfor has stated, it opens a can of worms - lay a precedent for the constitution itself to be challenged, powers which only kenyans have.
kadonye
#100 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 7:14:37 PM

mkenyan wrote:

on the religious inclinations of the judge, given that it is the churches that have been most vocal about the inclusion of the kadhi courts in proposed constitution, i do not really need to spell out for you the relevance.
It's not true that people with Christian names n Caucasian names are Christians.Read Philip Ochieng's article 'Thank God I'm atheist' n other articles
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing