wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

BAT 1H17
Pesa Nane
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:32:12 PM

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Pesa Nane
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:36:27 PM

Quote:

Interim Div. Ksh 3.50
Payable 21 September 2017
Closure 21 August 2017
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:54:00 PM

Wow! If BAT has a biz downturn then who is safe?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ebenyo
#4 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 8:59:08 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

i think they have suffered from iĺegal imports.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
Spikes
#5 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 9:14:25 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Any commission formed in Kenya to deter illegal activity is a cash cow for those in charge. Anti-counterfeits agency men and women in suits it's their turn to eat!
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
obiero
#6 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 9:15:15 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No one's safe, especially the banks

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
mamilli
#7 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 11:10:50 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:

Tax almost 50% of revenue....wonder which other blue chips can survive the "onslaught"
Never lose your position in a bull market,BTFD.
sparkly
#8 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 12:18:27 PM

mamilli wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Tax almost 50% of revenue....wonder which other blue chips can survive the "onslaught"

EABL and the Oil marketing companies. Taxes are a huge component for the "sin" industries.
Life is short. Live passionately.
alotoftalk
#9 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 1:34:29 PM

Goes to show there's more to story of MD and FD resigning concurrently in Q1.
Investment philosophy development in progress...
obiero
#10 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 4:28:42 PM

mamilli wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Tax 50% of revenue??

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Horton
#11 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 5:13:43 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:

No need to panic sir. Its only 10% here in this over-regulated business. Also smokers have been on the decline for a while now
mulla
#12 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 5:38:23 PM

obiero wrote:
mamilli wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Tax 50% of revenue??

I think he means almost 50% of PBT...though its more like 30%..
VituVingiSana
#13 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 5:42:05 PM

Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No need to panic sir. Its only 10% here in this over-regulated business. Also smokers have been on the decline for a while now

Natural attrition?
As a matter of principle, I am not an investor in BAT. I don't smoke and don't like it if people smoke around me. Plus I find many smokers are rather inconsiderate and drop cigarette butts anywhere and everywhere.
All that said, the biz is very well run despite the challenges over the years!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
mamilli
#14 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 5:55:58 PM

mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
mamilli wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Tax 50% of revenue??

I think he means almost 50% of PBT...though its more like 30%..

my bad...@mulla you are right
Never lose your position in a bull market,BTFD.
Horton
#15 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 9:28:17 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Natural attrition?
As a matter of principle, I am not an investor in BAT. I don't smoke and don't like it if people smoke around me. Plus I find many smokers are rather inconsiderate and drop cigarette butts anywhere and everywhere.

BAT is a business that doesnt have a great future people dont smoke as much as the Marlboro man (remember him?!) or Sportsman for this matter, would want them to

Was it Buffett who said “When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.”

Here is another quote for u to use on another forum: 😁😁😁😁

“Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.” Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 22, 2017 1:05:35 AM

Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Natural attrition?

BAT is a business that doesnt have a great future people dont smoke as much as the Marlboro man (remember him?!) or Sportsman for this matter, would want them to

Was it Buffett who said “When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.”

“Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.” Warren Buffett

BAT is an excellent "cigarette butt" business. I wish I had picked them up in spades at 250/- coz the dividend itself is a-awesome. That said, I hope it is dying business as far as the country's economy is concerned as health costs mount.

“Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.” Warren Buffett >>> Now which thread would that be?
sparkly
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 22, 2017 7:48:06 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Horton wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Natural attrition?

BAT is an excellent "cigarette butt" business. I wish I had picked them up in spades at 250/- coz the dividend itself is a-awesome. That said, I hope it is dying business as far as the country's economy is concerned as health costs mount.

“Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.” Warren Buffett >>> Now which thread would that be?

BAT relies on the export market as the Kenyan market declines. Fewer Kenyans smoke but in less stable neighbouring countries like South Sudan, Congo and Nothern Uganda, cigarettes are worshiped like a god.
Life is short. Live passionately.
lochaz-index
#18 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 10:32:02 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

The topline tanked by 10%. For a business that sells a good with 'inelastic demand' that is a disturbing development. Save for some cost cutting measures the performance would have been worse. It isn't often you see BAT suffer a downturn.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
Kausha
#19 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 6:48:12 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The topline tanked by 10%. For a business that sells a good with 'inelastic demand' that is a disturbing development. Save for some cost cutting measures the performance would have been worse. It isn't often you see BAT suffer a downturn.

I use their results as a pulse of the economy in each given quarter. We appear to be entering a recessionary environment. Deflation here we come.d'oh! just my view.