wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Disrupting the System
alma1
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:29:42 AM

Uber has definately changed how I hire taxis in Nairobi. I remember a time when I was forced to hire them for sijui 1500 from one point to another. These days, I don't pay anyone more than 500 bob. Kama hataki I take a matatu.

GM has decided to join the bandwagon. You no longer have to buy a car. Just rent it when you are using it.

startups such as zipcar, getaround, and Turo are proving that the new generation has no interest in owning a car. Hire someone's for $5-10 per hour and then return it to him to deal with insurance, maintenance etc.

For car owners, instead of parking it with city council fees or only using it at end month, you can earn from it.

I talked to a VC recently who informed me that the days of owning stuff, even land are numbered. Only big corporations will be owning stuff, while the rest of us only pay for things that we actually need. Not things we want.

Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

alma1
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:22:13 PM

Of course lets not forget how we partake of our content.

Companies that still dwell in the old newsroom model are doomed to failure.

First casualty shall be DSTV next is the Nation Newspapers.

Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

Jinomoja
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:46:46 PM

I believe the cash cow for DSTV has been the premier league. The rest of their business model has been very weak. The number of people who install DSTV just for the shows is very minimal. I've personally never met or heard of any.

I don't see how Netflix challenges their football monopoly.

A better challenge to their football monopoly is simply the availability of broadband and the number of people able/willing to simply stream the matches at a cheaper price than DSTV prices.
murchr
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:49:52 PM

Jinomoja wrote:
I believe the cash cow for DSTV has been the premier league. The rest of their business model has been very weak. The number of people who install DSTV just for the shows is very minimal. I've personally never met or heard of any.

I don't see how Netflix challenges their football monopoly.

A better challenge to their football monopoly is simply the availability of broadband and the number of people able/willing to simply stream the matches at a cheaper price than DSTV prices.

Netflix haina live football.

Netflix might or might not be in competition with the other cable or satellite companies. It really depends on what people would want to watch "CONTENT".

Personally, if I was to rank the TV stations in Kenya, I find KTN extremely boring the sound is so poor my station of choice is Citizen. Nation is that guy has potential but is not able to pull it off.

To me the game changer in TV is Inooro

As for Cars, @alma, its good to learn that GM is now leasing
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:24:45 PM

Twiga Foods.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore