wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Equity Bank Q1 2017
muganda
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:07:05 AM

Results are in:

At Equity 4.83bn profit after tax compared to KCB 4.54bn profit after tax, isn't Equity the new king of the hill?

VituVingiSana
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:34:14 AM

muganda wrote:
Results are in:

At Equity 4.83bn profit after tax compared to KCB 4.54bn profit after tax, isn't Equity the new king of the hill?

I am buying Equity over KCB... That's my take.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Metasploit
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:36:13 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
muganda wrote:
Results are in:

At what price are you buying Equity ?

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
Ericsson
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:00:19 PM

NAIROBI May 25 (Reuters) - Equity Group Holdings, Kenya's second largest bank by assets, said on Thursday its pretax profit fell 5 percent to 6.9 billion shillings ($66.87 million) in the first quarter due to difficult conditions in its home market.

Equity Group Holdings reported a 15 percent drop in net interest income to 8.9 billion shillings, CEO James Mwangi told an investor briefing.

Mwangi said this was balanced out by a rise in non-funded income - from commissions and other activities such as forex trading - to 6.3 billion shillings from 5.2 billion shillings, helped by its mobile banking services.

Equity also has operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania and South Sudan.

It said net loans fell to 261.9 billion shillings from 275.02 billion shillings in the same period in 2016, with Kenya's contribution to total loans falling to 79.6 percent from 83.4 percent.

In March, Mwangi said banks in the country were facing turbulence due to the government's cap on commercial lending rates and the impact of a drought.

The government introduced interest rate caps in September last year saying banks had high returns and they were not passing those benefits onto customers. The cap limits interest rates to 4 percentage points above the central bank rate, which stands at 10 percent.

"A cautious approach in credit underwriting because of inability to price risk saw the loan book decline by 5 percent. The increase in funding was invested in government securities, which on a risk adjusted basis currently have yields similar to loans," Mwangi said.

He said the group's ratio of non-performing loans stood at 7.1 percent of the total, from 3.8 percent in first quarter 2016, compared with the 9.7 percent recorded for the industry in the period to end-March.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Chaka
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:16:14 PM

So "current" performance is a guide to future performance?
VituVingiSana wrote:
muganda wrote:
Results are in:

Horton
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:35:39 PM

Im feeling too lazy to dig up last year's q1 (early shift was making money for obiero and co ) but I vaguely remember that EQTY had a better Q1 on PAT vs KCB.
muandiwambeu
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:05:40 PM

Horton wrote:
Im feeling too lazy to dig up last year's q1 (early shift was making money for obiero and co ) but I vaguely remember that EQTY had a better Q1 on PAT vs KCB.

Ostrich approach. Instead of digging your problem out of the sand, sadly you dig your brains into the sand.simply stated, invent, adapt, be efficient grow a thicker skin cause the seas are spooked. Now I know where to put my golden eggs and the goose that lays them. I like intelligent and honest chaps. They see the problem, and take honest measures to live above the challenges.
I. No reckless lending. Kyc at forefront. Better collaterals. Credit to credit worth chaps. Good money to good guys. Earn your ratings, nah.
II. Be efficient. Mobile moni is all the moni the new aroma for moni magnets.smile
III. Substitutability. Wao, we are liquid and brainy. Let's do forex. Simba asiye kula nyasi agwesi survive jungle life.
IV. Good asset base to boot.
Enough said. Having in this bizna for a well, I can offer u a free advice, the sea I stormy and frothy. One leg is in. Hiyo ingine, hapana.Shame on you
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
Ericsson
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:46:12 PM

Equity's loan book since Q3 2016 has been shrinking in size while other lenders are growing.
If you look at the FY2016 results there was shrinking in loan book as compared to FY2015.
Now in 2017 Q1 they are already reporting a shrink in loan book in comparison to Q1 2016
Horton
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:13:20 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:
Horton wrote:

Ostrich approach. Instead of digging your problem out of the sand, sadly you dig your brains into the sand.simply stated, invent, adapt, be efficient grow a thicker skin cause the seas are spooked. Now I know where to put my golden eggs and the goose that lays them. I like intelligent and honest chaps. They see the problem, and take honest measures to live above the challenges.
I. No reckless lending. Kyc at forefront. Better collaterals. Credit to credit worth chaps. Good money to good guys. Earn your ratings, nah.
II. Be efficient. Mobile moni is all the moni the new aroma for moni magnets.smile
III. Substitutability. Wao, we are liquid and brainy. Let's do forex. Simba asiye kula nyasi agwesi survive jungle life.
IV. Good asset base to boot.
Enough said. Having in this bizna for a well, I can offer u a free advice, the sea I stormy and frothy. One leg is in. Hiyo ingine, hapana.Shame on you

Are you like those random folks that keep telling people random "facts" without providing straight forward answers? Kama hujui wachana nayo!

Thanks for the unwarranted advice. I will be clocking 20years in this business soon and I am not looking for advice on how to invest. Thanks either way.
the deal
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:07:09 PM

Equity Bank used to charge crazy interest rates on micro loans citing risk... They can't do that anymore because of the rate cap... Imagine lending to a high risk client at the same rate as EABL??? Hahaha... The cap will definitely knock Equity's growth momentum... SELL... KCB is a better pick
Ericsson
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:11:05 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Equity's loan book since Q3 2016 has been shrinking in size while other lenders are growing.
If you look at the FY2016 results there was shrinking in loan book as compared to FY2015.
Now in 2017 Q1 they are already reporting a shrink in loan book in comparison to Q1 2016

At the rate at which equity loan book is shrinking it will be a matter of months this year before Co-op bank loan book overtakes Equity's loans and advances.
MadDoc
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:35:23 PM

the deal wrote:
Equity Bank used to charge crazy interest rates on micro loans citing risk... They can't do that anymore because of the rate cap... Imagine lending to a high risk client at the same rate as EABL??? Hahaha... The cap will definitely knock Equity's growth momentum... SELL... KCB is a better pick

Equity's loan book is majorly composed of SMEs. Every bank is crippled by the rate capping.
VituVingiSana
#13 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 1:42:57 PM

Metasploit wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
muganda wrote:
Results are in:

38/-
James Mwangi has a plan. Equity isn't chasing loans but deposits to cash in when the time comes. The 11% default rate for MSMEs is not worth Equity's time under the interest capping regime.

Mobile money [Equitel/Eazzy] is growing very strongly for Equity. South Sudan has been virtually written off.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Metasploit
#14 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 1:56:25 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Metasploit wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
muganda wrote:
Results are in:

38/-
James Mwangi has a plan. Equity isn't chasing loans but deposits to cash in when the time comes. The 11% default rate for MSMEs is not worth Equity's time under the interest capping regime.

Mobile money [Equitel/Eazzy] is growing very strongly for Equity. South Sudan has been virtually written off.

KCB/EQUITY at same price now..For both,thin supply beyond 40

KCB touched 38,this should have caused some panic and increase supply volume but it didnt..Verdict very bullish

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
Sir invest
#15 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 12:57:34 PM

Equity n KCB.......SELL!SELL! NOW!
Horton
#16 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 1:22:32 PM

Sir invest wrote:

ur wish is our command Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
bartum
#17 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 1:38:33 PM

Sir invest wrote:

Buy buy buy
MadDoc
#18 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 2:56:05 PM

Time to shed off the stragglers. Clear skies ahead.
Pesa Nane
#19 Posted : Friday, June 02, 2017 12:00:16 PM

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Pesa Nane
#20 Posted : Friday, June 02, 2017 12:02:42 PM

Equity Appointments
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.