wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
UN JOBS: Glamour or Myth
Lolest!
#21 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 2:26:10 PM

Quote:
Multi-state organisations stationed in Kenya - like United Nations, World Bank, foreign missions and African Union bodies - paid workers an average of Sh249,396 per month compared to Sh240,258 monthly in 2015.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...01104-whmun3z/index.html
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Flo-ology
#22 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 4:30:11 PM

[quote=Lolest!]
Quote:
Multi-state organisations stationed in Kenya - like United Nations, World Bank, foreign missions and African Union bodies - paid workers an average of Sh249,396 per month compared to Sh240,258 monthly in 2015.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...1104-whmun3z/index.html[/quote]

Then why the hype that UN and the likes pays better...
Reflection Eternal
tnai9
#23 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 4:39:35 PM

Flo-ology wrote:
[quote=Lolest!]
Quote:

http://www.nation.co.ke/...1104-whmun3z/index.html[/quote]

Then why the hype that UN and the likes pays better...

Keyword Average

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
anika66
#24 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 10:11:27 AM

muganda wrote:
Heard all staff including locals and contractors are not subject to PAYE?!! 15-30% extra pay.

International tax payers are taxed at the source, New York. They pay taxes but not at the domestic level.
Keeping it all in the family
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 9:07:38 AM

if that brand new prado with the red number late is anything to go by then it must be all glamour
Flo-ology
#26 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 10:04:25 AM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
if that brand new prado with the red number late is anything to go by then it must be all glamour

Do all staff qualify, or it is only for specific cadre ?
Reflection Eternal
Euge
#27 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:04:00 PM

Wendz wrote:
I dont work for the UN but something similar. As majority have said if you are local,

1. career progression is a dream - may be a vision2060

2. True, initially, the pay is higher than in private sector, but it is harder to progress unlike the private sector.... so with time, someone who started lower and having worked for similar period of time will earn higher than you..... And generally, they are more generous with packages outside the salary unlike the private sector.

3. Bureaucracy, bureaucracy, bureaucracy, rules, rules, rules and policies, policies, polices....damn!!!!

4. you get reprimanded for creativity and initiative - i once got a final warning letter(even before an oral warning!!) for taking some initiative(and actually risking my life) after having reported the matter and offered to have the cost deducted from my salary for not having authorisation before doing it! (it wasnt put in my file so it was some sort of intimidation!)

5. I had not heard of that 19% deduction before this post.... so i bet it depends on where you working...

If you have a chance to progress career wise, look for something in the private sector.

It depends on your type of contract. If you are on a fixed term contract then you are deducted staff assessment
Lord, thank you!
Euge
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:07:40 PM

Flo-ology wrote:

Only international staff qualify. You buy the car and your agency gives you the diplomatic (red) number plate
Lord, thank you!
hardwood
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:36:29 PM

Euge wrote:
Flo-ology wrote:

Only international staff qualify. You buy the car and your agency gives you the diplomatic (red) number plate

Your posting should read "internationally recruited staff" since even some Kenyans fall in that category. My jirani, a village mate, has that red number plate.
Euge
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:59:29 PM

hardwood wrote:
Euge wrote:
Flo-ology wrote:

Your posting should read "internationally recruited staff" since even some Kenyans fall in that category. My jirani, a village mate, has that red number plate.

Agreed @Mbao ngumu
Lord, thank you!
deadpoet
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:50:04 AM

Can anyone demystify the UN job grades? For example, can someone be hired at the G6 grade, step 4? or must one always be hired at step 1?
sitaki.kujulikana
#32 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:15:52 PM

deadpoet wrote:
Can anyone demystify the UN job grades? For example, can someone be hired at the G6 grade, step 4? or must one always be hired at step 1?

you can be hired at any level, depends on your experience and qualifications, its easier to move through steps than through the grades