wazua Sat, Jun 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Safaricom - NFC SIM Cards
murchr
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:08:15 PM

Safaricom has distributed 16,000 payment cards in the pilot phase of a project that will see it step deeper into banking territory.

The telco last year started piloting the Lipa na M-Pesa card among university students and staff. The company says 47 companies are already accepting payments via the Lipa na M-Pesa card.

Safaricom said it is using information from the pilot phase to prepare for a commercial launch in 2017.

http://www.businessdaily...828764-tx3wx0/index.html
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#22 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 7:47:21 AM

that's a great piece of tech and quite convenient to.if it interface directly with the mpesa account.hope it willnot go the safari card way,though
watesh
#23 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 8:57:49 AM

If they roll it out well, this will cement mpesa's position in the goods payments
subzero
#24 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 10:50:52 AM

your title mentions "NFC sim card" but the article does not mention a SIM card
wazuaguest
#25 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:12:37 AM

Thats one step back.We are moving away from cards to mobile payments.
Improve on the phone payments to perfection,thats where the future lies.Personally i have reduced the amounts of cards i carry to the point i no longer carry a wallet.
Africa belongs to Africans.
watesh
#26 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:38:59 AM

wazuaguest wrote:
Improve on the phone payments to perfection,thats where the future lies.Personally i have reduced the amounts of cards i carry to the point i no longer carry a wallet.

Personally i find the whole payment via mpesa using those till numbers to be very tedious. Too many steps for a single transactions, then i have to check if i have the numbers right. With a card, all am doing is check if they have the right bill entered then punch in my PIN, done!
penkon
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:06:22 AM

watesh wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

Personally i find the whole payment via mpesa using those till numbers to be very tedious. Too many steps for a single transactions, then i have to check if i have the numbers right. With a card, all am doing is check if they have the right bill entered then punch in my PIN, done!

hoping the technology will be inclusive to the disabled
wazuaguest
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 04, 2017 9:50:15 AM

watesh wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

If i can scan the QR code with my phone(after i am satisfied of the amounts) and make payments,that would be the perfect payment system for me
wazuaguest
#29 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 5:01:30 PM

The graphs here clearly show where the future is.
http://www.businessdaily...38734-bo3fw6z/index.html
murchr
#30 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 5:07:27 PM

wazuaguest wrote:

http://www.businessdaily...8734-bo3fw6z/index.html

No one is abandoning the use of mobile money, but this will be used in complementary for those places where it is more convenient to swipe a card. As someone pointed out, sometimes lipa na mpesa at the till is cumbersome.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
watesh
#31 Posted : Monday, March 06, 2017 8:22:18 PM

[quote=wazuaguest]The graphs here clearly show where the future is.
http://www.businessdaily...8734-bo3fw6z/index.html[/quote]
The reason for plastic card payments slowdown is lack of motivation by the banks.
1. They havnt been aggressive in promoting payments using their cards nor have they been aggressive in rolling out card readers. We should have something like Square by now.
2. Places where you can pay with cards are so limited. Supermarkets and a couple of big businesses. Mobile money has paybill option to pay Kenya Power, DSTV, Water bills and other bills. These companies don't offer options for those type of payments with cards or online banking. (Online banking in developed countries is mostly used to pay such bills. Each of these utilities have a paybill type option and you pay straight from your bank account)
3. More people with active mpesa accounts as compared to active bank accounts.
4. Banks just lost the plot...they are trying so hard to compete against mpesa by trying to be mpesa. They neglected what works for them and are too stubborn to partner with Safaricom
sitaki.kujulikana
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:34:19 PM

murchr wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

No one is abandoning the use of mobile money, but this will be used in complementary for those places where it is more convenient to swipe a card. As someone pointed out, sometimes lipa na mpesa at the till is cumbersome.

lipa na mpesa and the other sim card based money system can be cumbersome especially in high traffic retail areas, but I don't think they were designed for such, lipa na mpesa was mostly a mama mboga payment solution which has been forced into all areas. nowadays I see some supermarkets asking you for your phone so that they can enter that confirmation code into their pos, which I find absurd.

Funny enough even the card swiping thing, seems laborious, the cashier pulls that reader, card, pin, receipt, then some require you to sign that receipt.

I think instead of safaricom trying to move to mpesa card, they should work on a more seamless integration to pos systems
sitaki.kujulikana
#33 Posted : Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:40:18 PM

watesh wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

The reason for plastic card payments slowdown is lack of motivation by the banks.
1. They havnt been aggressive in promoting payments using their cards nor have they been aggressive in rolling out card readers. We should have something like Square by now.
2. Places where you can pay with cards are so limited. Supermarkets and a couple of big businesses. Mobile money has paybill option to pay Kenya Power, DSTV, Water bills and other bills. These companies don't offer options for those type of payments with cards or online banking. (Online banking in developed countries is mostly used to pay such bills. Each of these utilities have a paybill type option and you pay straight from your bank account)
3. More people with active mpesa accounts as compared to active bank accounts.
4. Banks just lost the plot...they are trying so hard to compete against mpesa by trying to be mpesa. They neglected what works for them and are too stubborn to partner with Safaricom

In kenya its only the prepaid cards that are better, most guys are just waiting for a card skimming opportunity, that said I think what might be referred to as a slow uptake of cards is due to the fact that few kenyans have bank accounts, or have access to banks as compared to owning a sim card/mobile phone.
Rahatupu
#34 Posted : Thursday, March 09, 2017 9:10:13 PM

Word. Plus Mpesa agents all over mashinani where real volumes happen.