wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages«<56789>»
Weekly debates by an Atheist
masukuma
#121 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:50:06 AM

let's face it... no one is fixing this place unless we do! we wish someone would... but it doesn't look likely. lets do a thought experiment... ASSUME FOR 2 MINS - God is not there. Just ASSUME no one ever told you about God for 2 mins. Look at the world outside. The hunger, the crime, the injustice. When stuff is stolen from us we 'know' there is a greater plan, the all seeing Eye that is God has recorded this action and someday the thief will pay for it. Assume that once it has been stolen there is no plan (you are still within your 2 mins). Ask yourself - then what? Look at a kid dying out of hunger in Turkana - what if this was IT for them? 'that's all folks!' - gone!! what of the person wrongfully incarcerated? if there is no one listening to his genuine prayers in seeking justice - what is to happen to him? that he is calling out to an inexistent person for justice and unless chaos brings it to him - he will die in jail of a crime he didn't commit. Ask yourself, If we are all living in a universe of chaos... then what is to happen to these people? if we are living in chaos and hitler got away scot-free... that there is no judgement and torment for him - then what? Some of the most passionate people i know for either the environment, peace, humanity, justice are actually atheists and it was conflicting... I asked myself why and realized... they have not delegated the responsibility of making things right to God but rather have decided to give a shit more and actually move to ending this damage! End of your 2 mins
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
hamburglar
#122 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:52:20 AM

masukuma wrote:
let's face it... no one is fixing this place unless we do! we wish someone would... but it doesn't look likely. lets do a thought experiment... ASSUME FOR 2 MINS - God is not there. Just ASSUME no one ever told you about God for 2 mins. Look at the world outside. The hunger, the crime, the injustice. When stuff is stolen from us we 'know' there is a greater plan, the all seeing Eye that is God has recorded this action and someday the thief will pay for it. Assume that once it has been stolen there is no plan (you are still within your 2 mins). Ask yourself - then what? Look at a kid dying out of hunger in Turkana - what if this was IT for them? 'that's all folks!' - gone!! what of the person wrongfully incarcerated? if there is no one listening to his genuine prayers in seeking justice - what is to happen to him? that he is calling out to an inexistent person for justice and unless chaos brings it to him - he will die in jail of a crime he didn't commit. Ask yourself, If we are all living in a universe of chaos... then what is to happen to these people? if we are living in chaos and hitler got away scot-free... that there is no judgement and torment for him - then what? Some of the most passionate people i know for either the environment, peace, humanity, justice are actually atheists and it was conflicting... I asked myself why and realized... they have not delegated the responsibility of making things right to God but rather have decided to give a shit more and actually move to ending this damage! End of your 2 mins

Masukuma where are you I come buy you a beer right now? Lol.
Curtains closed. There is nothing more to say after this. End of discussion.
Tokyo
#123 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:23:36 AM

masukuma wrote:

Applause
work to prosper
#124 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:27:53 AM

masukuma wrote:

@masukuma, I can tell that you are an intelligent, good natured and logical person. I like your thinking too and there's nothing I can discredit out of what you've written. I also cannot impose my God on you because no two people can experience God in the same way, so I can only tell you about my belief and understanding and nothing else. I will engage with you soberly because for a long time I thought the same way.

So, what do you believe, including hamburglar and Tokyo? Do you believe that there is a higher power than yourself?

BBI will solve it
:)
masukuma
#125 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:31:09 PM

2012 wrote:
So, what do you believe, including hamburglar and Tokyo? Do you believe that there is a higher power than yourself?

I actually don't think debating on beliefs actually helps anyone or even converts anyone. belief is something really personal and profound. What do I believe - that changes with situations. I am fluid... do I believe there is a higher power? sometimes! do I think there is a higher power? No! Do I want there to be a higher power? most definitely yes! Sometimes i get to the end of me and I look up (why do we look up?) and ask "is this all?". Sometimes i triumph and I want to credit someone and I say "Thank you!". I diligently pray with my kids to God. Life is tough and having God makes it easier to swallow. The death of a girl like this one is easier to swallow if God is there

I want genghis khan judged for the killing everyone in Nishapur, including women, children, infants, and even dogs and cats and beheading them, and piling their skulls in pyramids - all 1.7 million people. I want all the slave traders who were responsible for the plunder of my african people punished! depending on who you ask - 50 million plus africans died over that period. I want King Leopod of belgium punished for what he did to the congo. the effects of his work is still being felt today! Yes... I want there to be a God! to thank for everything good in my life and for him to punish everything bad! but his/her being there is not subject to my want and belief - right? he is either there or not there irregardless of whether I believe him to be there or not!
AlphDoti
#126 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:15:41 PM

Now you see what happens when you read stories about a God who was walking on this tiny earth! It's evident that people never really believed such stories. What was He (God) stepping on before creating Earth? Such kind of thinking made kina @hamburglar to become atheists! And now @masukuma...

After all those Sunday school tales, now you grow up and think of a God who walks on Earth, with footsteps heard like that of another fellow man walking, you wonder how can God walk on surface of this tiny earth, an earth which is not even visible in the Galaxy, can you imagine God walking on some path on earth!!!

masukuma
#127 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:23:19 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Now you see what happens when you read stories about a God who was walking on this tiny earth! It's evident that people never really believed such stories. What was He (God) stepping on before creating Earth? Such kind of thinking made kina @hamburglar to become atheists! And now @masukuma...

After all those Sunday school tales, now you grow up and think of a God who walks on Earth, with footsteps heard like that of another fellow man walking, you wonder how can God walk on surface of this tiny earth, an earth which is not even visible in the Galaxy, can you imagine God walking on some path on earth!!!

boss... I am not an atheist! I am a human....
masukuma
#128 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:31:43 PM

here is what i think... i think religions are like parents! they mean well! they are very useful! but people leave their parents at different time. some people are ophaned earlier than others. you tend to look like and behave like your folks. you and your siblings tend to think (broadly) in the same way. you respond to issues in similar ways - as you had been taught. some people leave their parents later than others! some people blame their parents for everything bad, some people believe that their parents are the best in the world. some people passionately love their parents and hate those other families (as their parents have taught them). but generally parents mean well! even if you come to a point where you are a grown up and you don't do everything they tell you to do; or even when their words don't carry much weight; or even when you start seeing them as really humans and a product of their environments - you don't (shouldn't) stop loving them. they have brought you up in the best way they know how! their influence will be with you for as long as you are alive. in the same way while you can generalize and say people of a certain family (Akina Fulani) do ABCD. you cannot generalize and say that all Ophans are similar! they are similar in their lack of parentage not their way of thinking or how they were born and raised and their influences.
Lolest!
#129 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:20:25 PM

AlphDoti wrote:

What about some Arab prophet receiving prophecies from Satan?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hamburglar
#130 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:54:08 PM

masukuma wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

boss... I am not an atheist! I am a human....

I think you are more agnostic than anything else maspinach. Na atheists ni humans too. Lol.
AlphDoti
#131 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:11:19 PM

Lolest! wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

@Lolest! I'm always here to deal with you... So according to you, the Satan sent him the below amazing verses, describing God's attributes, purity of faith?

Quran chapter 112:1-4
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful .
1. Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;
2. Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
3. He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
4. And there is none like unto Him.
masukuma
#132 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:16:52 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

@Lolest! I'm always here to deal with you... So according to you, the Satan sent him the below amazing verses, describing God's attributes, purity of faith?

Quran chapter 112:1-4
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful .
1. Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;
2. Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
3. He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
4. And there is none like unto Him.

quick question - umewahi quote Quran halafu @Lolest accepted?
Mukiri
#133 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 10:30:24 PM

Heh!

Proverbs 19:21
hamburglar
#134 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 7:01:03 AM

I forgot to put up my Sunday verses. I hope god is not mad at me and decides to strike me dead for that. You know he has a bad temper and kills people on impulse. Mukiri or any religious people, please ask yahweh to forgive me for I have sinned. Speak in tongues if it will help me avoid the wrath of his hot temper. I will even eat sacrament today to appease him. Lol.

Anyway, let's check out kings and chronicles on this day that I have sinned and will probably be put to death for failing our "loving" father. May god have mercy on my soul. 😉

1 Kings
1 KINGS 2:24-25 Solomon killed Adonijah.

1 KINGS 2:29-34 Solomon killed Joab.

1 KINGS 13-15-24 A prophet lied to a man, telling him it was fine to eat bread and drink water in a place the Lord had previously told him not to. The deceived man ate and drank there. God sent a lion to kill him, "and his body was thrown down on the road."

1 KINGS 20:29-30 The Israelites fought the Syrians. Enemy body count for a single day = 100,000. A wall fell on the 27,000 remaining people.

2 Kings
2 KINGS 1:10-12 Elijah called down fire from heaven. 50 men were consumed by the flames.

2 KINGS 2:23-24 – 42 Fourty-two children made fun of Elisha on the roadside because he was bald. Elisha cursed them. Two bears came out of the woods and mauled them to death.

2 KINGS 5:27 Elisha cursed Gehazi and his descendants, forever, with leprosy.

2 KINGS 6:18-19 The enemy came toward Elisha, and he prayed to God, "Strike these people with blindness." God made them blind. Elisha then tricked them and led them to Samaria, where God opened their eyes again.

2 KINGS 6:29 A woman cried out to the king of Israel, lamenting a great famine. She was upset because she had agreed to cook her son and eat him, but after the deed, another woman had refused to do the same.

2 KINGS 9:24 Jehu tricked Joram, then murdered him with a bow and arrow, piercing his heart.

2 KINGS 9:27 Jehu ordered his men to kill Ahaziah, king of Judah.

2 KINGS 9:30-37 Jehu had Jezebel killed. Horses trampled her and her blood splattered the wall. Dogs ate her flesh and her remains were called "refuse" (trash).

2 KINGS 10:7 Jehu had Ahab’s 70 sons beheaded. He then sent the heads to their grieving father.

2 KINGS 10:14 Jehu ordered the death of Ahab’s family…42 people.

2 KINGS 10:17 According to God’s word (spoken to Elijah), Jehu went to Samaria and "killed all who were left there of Ahab’s family; he destroyed them…"

2 KINGS 10:19-27 Jehu trapped the Baal worshippers in the temple. He then told the guards, "Go in and kill them; let no one escape." They slaughtered the worshippers and burned down the temple, using it as a latrine from that day forward.

2 KINGS 11:1 Athaliah destroyed the royal family.

2 KINGS 14:5 Amaziah executeed the officials who murdered his father.

2 KINGS 14:3-5 God was unhappy with Azariah, even though he had done what was right in the eyes of the Lord. The high places had not been removed, and God was jealous of their sacrifices on that altar. So God afflicted Azariah with leprosy as punishment.

2 KINGS 15:16 Menahem attacked the city of Tiphsah. He destroyed the town and "ripped open all of the pregnant women."

2 KINGS 19:35 An angel of the Lord killed 185,000 men in the Assyrian camp.

2 Chronicles
2 CHRONICLES 13:17 God delivered the Israelites to Abijah and Judah. 500,000 enemy dead.

2 CHRONICLES 21:4 Jehoram killed all of his brothers, and some of the princes of Israel...put to death by sword.
Apricot
#135 Posted : Thursday, March 02, 2017 9:35:07 PM

God of the OT is amazingly brutal!. Could this be why he had to be replaced/represented by a son in the NT who preached love and inclusiveness to soften his father's rough edges? There is such a dramatic shift in brutality going from OT to NT. Why for example did all living things (except those that swim or on the boat) need to be murdered in a flood for the "sins" of men? What sins did the goats commit? Why all the blood sacrifices - why such thirst for blood?
First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up
hamburglar
#136 Posted : Friday, March 03, 2017 5:01:37 AM

Apricot wrote:
God of the OT is amazingly brutal!. Could this be why he had to be replaced/represented by a son in the NT who preached love and inclusiveness to soften his father's rough edges? There is such a dramatic shift in brutality going from OT to NT. Why for example did all living things (except those that swim or on the boat) need to be murdered in a flood for the "sins" of men? What sins did the goats commit? Why all the blood sacrifices - why such thirst for blood?

That god guy needs serious anger management classes. He is a very dangerous person to be around. He kills without thinking twice, woe unto you if you don't kiss his ass, instant death. Apparently that's how he shows his love. This guy is unbelievably brutal, I would never ever want to be associated with anybody or anything like him. Am surprised he hasn't struck me dead yet for calling him out all these years. What an asshole.

OT or NT. They are both full of shit.
hamburglar
#137 Posted : Friday, March 03, 2017 5:07:21 AM

Here is Isiah, Jeremiah and Ezra. More "love" from god.

Isaiah
ISAIAH 13:15 Isaiah saw a prophecy regarding Babylon. "Whoever is captured will be thrust through; all who are caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives ravished."

ISAIAH 13:18 God’s punishment for Babylon was further described. "Their bows will strike down the young men; they will have no mercy on infants, nor will they look with compassion on children."

ISAIAH 14:21-23 "Prepare a place to slaughter his sons for the sins of their forefathers; they are not to rise to inherit the land and cover the earth with their cities. ‘I will rise up against them,’ declares the Lord Almighty."

ISAIAH 49:26 God’s punishment on those who came against Israel. "I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh; they will be be drunk on their own blood, as with wine. Then all mankind will know that I, the Lord, am your Savior…"

Jeremiah
JEREMIAH 16:4 The word of the Lord about the children born in this land says "They will die of deadly diseases. They will not be mourned or buried but will be like refuse lying on the ground. They will perish by sword and famine, and their dead bodies will become food for the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth."

Ezra
EZRA 6:12-13 Darius’ decree said that, if anyone changed his edict, "a beam is to be pulled from his house and he is to be lifted up and impaled on it." Then the house was to be demolished.
tycho
#138 Posted : Friday, March 03, 2017 6:33:07 AM

It's amazing how the public sphere is ground for dumbing down people and flaunting ignorance.

A little knowledge is dangerous.
hamburglar
#139 Posted : Sunday, March 05, 2017 3:51:36 PM

Leo Ni Job, Ezekiel na Hosea. Ni Sunday.....siku ya sermons.

Job
JOB 1 To prove a point, God gave Satan permission to torment Job and test his righteousness. Job’s children were killed. Job’s possessions were destroyed. Job tore his clothes and shaved his head from grief.

JOB 2 God allows Satan to smite Job’s body with horrible boils "from the soles of his feet to the crown of his head." Job scraped his afflicted skin with a piece of broken pottery. His wife tells Job to "Curse God and die." Job’s friends found him unrecognizable. This is how God treats his beloved children.

Ezekiel
EZEKIEL 20:26 Israel rebelled, and God’s punishment was sobering. "I let them become defiled through their gifts- the sacrifice of every firstborn- that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the Lord."

EZEKIEL 23:34 God said that prostitutes would drink a cup of scorn and tear their breasts.

EZEKIEL 23:45-47 God punished adultery. "…Bring a mob against them and give them over to terror and plunder. The mob will stone them and cut them down with their swords; they will kill their sons and daughters and burn down their houses."

Hosea
HOSEA 13:16 Because Israel had rebelled, a wind from the Lord would blow in. They "will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, and their pregnant women ripped open."

AlphDoti
#140 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:07:45 PM

1) On women
“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

2) On Genocide
“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

3) On Witches
“Do not allow a sorceress to live.” (Exodus 22:18)

4) On the babies of enemies
“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

5) On women as property
“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

6) On homosexuality
“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

7) On sacrificing (your own) children for God
“And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

8) And again
‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

9) On women, again
“Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

10) On slavery
“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)