47 Pages«<44454647>
Matatu Business
jerry
#901 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 6:15:07 PM

geofreygachie wrote:
tnai9 wrote:
matatuman wrote:
tnai9 wrote:
Wazuans, am looking to import a manual matatu hiace 3000cc for a close relative. I can also see there are 7L and 9L engines. He intends to use it for Matatu shuttle business. Any advice on which one is a better engine?

Tried Google, sijaona 7L ama 9L. Hizo ni engines gani? In my opinion thats the creation of kenyan salesmen/motor vehicle brokers.

Thanks @mat-man
I thought so too.. Googled a lot also before posting the request here. Didn't find any info. But on olx, that is the lingo. I'll call one of the sellers and hopefully find out the difference.

I have bumped into the engines available for the toyota 'box' and i think the 5 or 7l thing might be borrowed from here,

Engine

2.7 L 2TR-FE I4 149hp
2.5 L 2KD-FTV I4 101hp

What about 3.00L engine, which L is it?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
geofreygachie
#902 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:51:01 AM

jerry wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
tnai9 wrote:
matatuman wrote:
tnai9 wrote:
Wazuans, am looking to import a manual matatu hiace 3000cc for a close relative. I can also see there are 7L and 9L engines. He intends to use it for Matatu shuttle business. Any advice on which one is a better engine?

Tried Google, sijaona 7L ama 9L. Hizo ni engines gani? In my opinion thats the creation of kenyan salesmen/motor vehicle brokers.

Thanks @mat-man
I thought so too.. Googled a lot also before posting the request here. Didn't find any info. But on olx, that is the lingo. I'll call one of the sellers and hopefully find out the difference.

I have bumped into the engines available for the toyota 'box' and i think the 5 or 7l thing might be borrowed from here,

Engine

2.7 L 2TR-FE I4 149hp
2.5 L 2KD-FTV I4 101hp

What about 3.00L engine, which L is it?

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Just an observation ..note the use of "might " in my statement.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
Fullykenyan
#903 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2016 9:53:35 PM

kaka2za wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
Thanks guys for your advice. I think i will shelve the idea and most probabaly go the rental way. Thanks again.

Please also shelve the rental idea and go the real estate way, you will thank me later.

True.Why wait 17 years to get your money back when you can double it in 3-5 yrs?

Thanks Impunity.However, i heard there is a slow down in Real Estate at the moment , or am i wrong?
Jon Jones
#904 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 2:55:57 AM

Fullykenyan wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
Thanks guys for your advice. I think i will shelve the idea and most probabaly go the rental way. Thanks again.

Please also shelve the rental idea and go the real estate way, you will thank me later.

True.Why wait 17 years to get your money back when you can double it in 3-5 yrs?

Thanks Impunity.However, i heard there is a slow down in Real Estate at the moment , or am i wrong?

What exactly do you mean by real estate in this sense if rentals are not included??Enlighten a brother. Is it building for sale ama??
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
Prime
#905 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2016 4:00:18 PM

Hii maneno ya 7L and 9L is wholly a creation of marketting guys. There was 3L, then came 5L. The next series did not continue in the same pattern so they gave it the next odd number...7L. Then came the 2KD and 1KD along with their petrol equivalents and they were aptly christened 9L.
If you catch the drift.... lets wait for 11L...
Impunity
#906 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2016 4:33:38 PM

Jon Jones wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

What exactly do you mean by real estate in this sense if rentals are not included??Enlighten a brother. Is it building for sale ama??

Buy buildings thru companies like Hass,hold it and then let them sell for you after a period after ghem taking a small fee/%age...much easier than u selling the unit yourself.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Fullykenyan
#907 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:36:03 PM

Impunity wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Buy buildings thru companies like Hass,hold it and then let them sell for you after a period after ghem taking a small fee/%age...much easier than u selling the unit yourself.

Impunity, do you work for them
Winwin
#908 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:41:45 PM

I'd be up and about in 2 weeks....I would like advice on the best trackers for mats.....just to have something differently form what I have with the current one. Please advise a fellow hustler.
kanyimwa
#909 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2016 8:48:56 AM

Winwin wrote:
I'd be up and about in 2 weeks....I would like advice on the best trackers for mats.....just to have something differently form what I have with the current one. Please advise a fellow hustler.

Everyone these days is using the ordinary cheap chinese trackers the TK103A/B. The features of the online platform you choose is what makes the perceived "differences" by the marketers
Prime
#910 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 12:39:40 PM

Winwin wrote:

Please do this... get advice from your sacco. Majority of the saccos have recommended trackers which come in handy when running the fleet management system. Dont be a loner in this. Go by your saccos recommendation
geofreygachie
#911 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:51:23 PM

kanyimwa wrote:
Winwin wrote:

Everyone these days is using the ordinary cheap chinese trackers the TK103A/B. The features of the online platform you choose is what makes the perceived "differences" by the marketers

Avoid those Chinese trackers if you can .They are inefficient and they have high failure rate .Just invest in a reputable brand and you will never regret.I am an installer and the first batch i did some Chinese trackers but the all failed and my clients got furious.We decided to exclusively deal with Teltonika and I have never had issues,furthermore even the most basic tracker has functions that even the high end Chinese brands don't have e.g fuel monitoring and the speed governing function without need for additional accessories.I have installed some in excavators and wheel loaders for monitoring work hours ,the list is endless so many ways to use the device. The initial cost is higher compared to the Chinese brands that we have in the market.Infact NTSA have listed one of the Teltonika Tracker model as authorised speed governor.
The tracking system is flexible allowing the user to generate detailed reports.
A certain bus company operating on MSA - NRB route has changed to this brand after experiencing problem with the Chinese ones.I am not trying to make a sale just passing information that will help you in your decision making.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
Wa_ithaka
#912 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 5:11:54 AM

What is the cost plus installation of the better trackers?
geofreygachie wrote:
kanyimwa wrote:
Winwin wrote:

Avoid those Chinese trackers if you can .They are inefficient and they have high failure rate .Just invest in a reputable brand and you will never regret.I am an installer and the first batch i did some Chinese trackers but the all failed and my clients got furious.We decided to exclusively deal with Teltonika and I have never had issues,furthermore even the most basic tracker has functions that even the high end Chinese brands don't have e.g fuel monitoring and the speed governing function without need for additional accessories.I have installed some in excavators and wheel loaders for monitoring work hours ,the list is endless so many ways to use the device. The initial cost is higher compared to the Chinese brands that we have in the market.Infact NTSA have listed one of the Teltonika Tracker model as authorised speed governor.
A certain bus company operating on MSA - NRB route has changed to this brand after experiencing problem with the Chinese ones.I am not trying to make a sale just passing information that will help you in your decision making.

The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
geofreygachie
#913 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 8:46:19 AM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
What is the cost plus installation of the better trackers?
geofreygachie wrote:
kanyimwa wrote:
Winwin wrote:

It costs 15000 (device + installation within Nairobi) An annual fee of 1400 from the second year after installation.
Jon Jones
#914 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:57:06 AM

Asking for a friend.
1. Assuming one has a HiAce Petrol Auto. I need to change it to diesel auto. Will I need to buy both the engine and the gearbox, or just the engine?
2. How much will a 2kd engine cost i.e purchase+installation?
3. Anyone who has successfully changed to a diesel engine, how was the experience? Were there any complications? Should I expect the same fuel efficiency as that of a new diesel van with a similar engine?
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
Rankaz13
#915 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 10:02:31 AM

Jon Jones wrote:
Asking for a friend.
1. Assuming one has a HiAce Petrol Auto. I need to change it to diesel auto. Will I need to buy both the engine and the gearbox, or just the engine?
3. Anyone who has successfully changed to a diesel engine, how was the experience? Were there any complications? Should I expect the same fuel efficiency as that of a new diesel van with a similar engine?

1. Model matters. If changing from TRH to 1KZ, then you'll have to switch both engine and gearbox. If from TRH to 2KD, engine only. In all cases, ECU lazima ubadilishe pia.

2. Some 'leg work' is called for. Dar-es-Salaam road and Baricho road neighborhoods for the parts.

3. I've heard of some who've done it but I don't know them personally. Efficiency depends on age of engine/ condition it was in when you bought it and driving style, among other factors.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Chaka
#916 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:41:07 PM

Jon Jones wrote:
Asking for a friend.

Meaning its better to buy the diesel version,though more expensive?
Rankaz13
#917 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 9:27:28 PM

Chaka wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Asking for a friend.

Meaning its better to buy the diesel version,though more expensive?

Given the dearth of professionals with sufficient skills to successfully pull off such a conversion, I would aver so. However many factors also come into play, chiefly the distance and terrain. If not too hilly and about 100km one way, I'd think petrol is alright.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Mkondoa Macho
#918 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 7:44:34 PM

Anyone here who has an 18 passenger van for long distance...is there any big difference in fuel consumption and maintenance with a 14 seater van? My thinking is that if fixed costs such as repairs, fuel, kanjo etc (except comprehensive insurance)are similar to a 14 seater, then the 18 seater is far more profitable. I assume that the stress of managing a 14 seater and an 18 seater is the same. Anyone here with experience in both????I am considering buying and I am torn between a 14 seater and an 18 seater van...but at the back of my mind I think it would make more economic sense to buy the 18 seater because the fixed costs for both vans may be the same.
subaru
#919 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 5:36:57 AM

Jon Jones
#920 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:54:35 PM

With the rising fuel prices, those in the transport industry like uber, matatus, haulage etc must be feeling the heat especially where margins are slim. How are you guys in the matatu industry coping with increasing fuel prices, and flat fare charged due to competition?? If the increase continues, it may drive people away from matatu investments and make it a "do it yourself" business for 14 seaters.