wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Building village home ,Wazua nishikeni mkono please!!!
Pat87
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:06:40 AM

I have always wanted to build my mum a village home.
I am finally ready thanks to bonuses and working hard.I don't have too large of a budget.
The land is in a town near Bondo,We have the land,yet to place a gate,we have ready blueprint for the house done by a pro.It will be a 3 bed roomed bungalow.
1.What is the acceptable % to pay a fundi?
2.Do i need a structural engineer?how much to consult?
3.Start time is May-should we start getting the materials on the ground?
4.Who has contacts of a reputable fundi near Bondo.
5.Any one knows of the closest quary near Akala area.
Any advise,criticisms is welcomed.
“An asset is something that puts money in my pocket. A liability is something that takes money out of my pocket.”
― Robert T. Kiyosaki, Rich Dad, Poor Dad
majimaji
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:59:15 PM

Quick advise: build with the materials near home and build with a design of the surrounding houses architecture. If the people use mud bricks, use the same but improve. If roofs are thatched, use the same, there are thatched houses in England still standing and very elegant, do not stress importing stone from far places.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:47:18 PM

Pat87 wrote:
I am finally ready thanks to bonuses and working hard.I don't have too large of a budget.
The land is in a town near Bondo,We have the land,yet to place a gate,we have ready blueprint for the house done by a pro.It will be a 3 bed roomed bungalow.

Good for you, I am sure your mother will be elated.

As advised above, don't look too far for materials, (but I wouldn't go as far as to use thatched roofingsmile smile )

Important;
1. Get the right fundi, an idea is to search for one through their Nairobi networks and then you take them to your place to do the work, many are happy to work with modest accomodations as long as the cash is right
2. build in stages, make sure you inspect every stage before starting the other. e,g complete foundation, inspect, then do walls, inspect, then do roof inspect, then interior etc.
3. Ask the fundis for their areas of specialization, example don't accept a fundi claiming he can do both walls and roofing's, you will be in for rude shock. work out labour costs based on stages of work. Avoid fundis of shags if you have high expectations on quality, other than watu wa mkono. If quality is not important then go for them.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Pat87
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:51:12 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Pat87 wrote:

As advised above, don't look too far for materials, (but I wouldn't go as far as to use thatched roofingsmile smile )

Important;
1. Get the right fundi, an idea is to search for one through their Nairobi networks and then you take them to your place to do the work, many are happy to work with modest accomodations as long as the cash is right
2. build in stages, make sure you inspect every stage before starting the other. e,g complete foundation, inspect, then do walls, inspect, then do roof inspect, then interior etc.
3. Ask the fundis for their areas of specialization, example don't accept a fundi claiming he can do both walls and roofing's, you will be in for rude shock. work out labour costs based on stages of work. Avoid fundis of shags if you have high expectations on quality, other than watu wa mkono. If quality is not important then go for them.

Oh i didn't know that the fundi for the stages are different,wow,Will definately look into their specialties,that means i will have 4 fundis by the time i finish?
“An asset is something that puts money in my pocket. A liability is something that takes money out of my pocket.”
enyands
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:05:49 PM

Pat87 wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Pat87 wrote:

Important;

Oh i didn't know that the fundi for the stages are different,wow,Will definately look into their specialties,that means i will have 4 fundis by the time i finish?

Lastly be careful when you are far from home. Trust is an issue that engulfs people in diaspora. Be very very careful
Swenani
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:36:37 PM

enyands wrote:
Pat87 wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Pat87 wrote:

Important;

Lastly be careful when you are far from home. Trust is an issue that engulfs people in diaspora. Be very very careful

As long as you are doing any project remotely, you should always factor in 10% nyama for the person you've trusted to oversee the project
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
sitaki.kujulikana
#7 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 3:04:45 PM

very good thing, you have decided to do, we should always look after our parents.
To be honest mimi sijui Bondo, but I think it should not be that different from other areas,
1. Fundi is more of a willing taker negotiation thing, pay the fundi per day or work based on the local rates
2. in my opinion for a bungalow, an engineer is an overkill.
3. get the materials once you get the main fundi, what I have found better is to accumulate cash and push the project as far as possible in one go.

My advice, get the main fundi first, let him take care of the rest, like sourcing material, getting watu wa mkono, any decent fundi should take care of all stages in a bungalow including roofing and basic finishes, don't stress with experts at each level.

there are other threads on building houses, lakini they are from some years back, weka updates once the project starts, someone else might benefit from that info.
mawinder
#8 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 6:13:59 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
very good thing, you have decided to do, we should always look after our parents.
To be honest mimi sijui Bondo, but I think it should not be that different from other areas,
1. Fundi is more of a willing taker negotiation thing, pay the fundi per day or work based on the local rates
3. get the materials once you get the main fundi, what I have found better is to accumulate cash and push the project as far as possible in one go.

My advice, get the main fundi first, let him take care of the rest, like sourcing material, getting watu wa mkono, any decent fundi should take care of all stages in a bungalow including roofing and basic finishes, don't stress with experts at each level.

there are other threads on building houses, lakini they are from some years back, weka updates once the project starts, someone else might benefit from that info.

Fundi should not source for materials
obiero
#9 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 6:17:43 PM

mawinder wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

Fundi must never source for material

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
mkeiy
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 11:42:20 AM

1. Don't pay per day rates, they will take forever to finish thathouse. Let the main fundi act as a contractor. Charge you for labor/expertise in stages. Foundation>Walling>Roofing>Finishing. Watu wa mtoto and the like ni wake. Where you have your own expert(s),bring them on board.

2. Materials needed in bulk or costing good money, source yourself. The rest, support local economy.

3. You don't need engineers. Ensure the right mix of materials as recommended.

4. A fundi can be good at walling as well as roofing. It's not like the two are mutually exclusive. Find one who is, he will factor how the roof will look like, by his way of walling.
sitaki.kujulikana
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:49:11 PM

obiero wrote:
mawinder wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

I would rather fundi akule kidogo and bring in material that you can hold him accountable for than trying to be mjanja then you go get materials that are bad, those guys who sell building material will give you a bad deal if they notice you don't know much.

the problem is, you deliver sand and the fundi tells you haina meno.
obiero
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:53:05 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mawinder wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

I would rather fundi akule kidogo and bring in material that you can hold him accountable for than trying to be mjanja then you go get materials that are bad, those guys who sell building material will give you a bad deal if they notice you don't know much.

Hizo vitu zote unaweza jinunulia.. Just ask for specs from the fundi

sitaki.kujulikana
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:54:27 PM

mkeiy wrote:
1. Don't pay per day rates, they will take forever to finish thathouse. Let the main fundi act as a contractor. Charge you for labor/expertise in stages. Foundation>Walling>Roofing>Finishing. Watu wa mtoto and the like ni wake. Where you have your own expert(s),bring them on board.

2. Materials needed in bulk or costing good money, source yourself. The rest, support local economy.

3. You don't need engineers. Ensure the right mix of materials as recommended.

4. A fundi can be good at walling as well as roofing. It's not like the two are mutually exclusive. Find one who is, he will factor how the roof will look like, by his way of walling.

Interesting, but what I experienced once was you give a guy cash ya stage he knows that the faster he does it the more cash he will have as profit, so he speeds up the work and does not pay much attention to quality.

fundi are different but, unless you are signing contractual quality assurance documents, I would rather they take longer and do something better than waharakishe and a year down the line you are fixing stuff. Of course there are standard work days for each stage, I would be more concerned knowing work days and paying per day than giving out a contract to local fundis
sitaki.kujulikana
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:58:39 PM

obiero wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mawinder wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

just my opinion, if you can not trust the fundi with buying stuff why trust him putting a solid roof over your head, stress ya ku-travel from nairobi to bondo to buy material just because you don't want a fundi to pocket a few hundred bob
obiero
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:08:45 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mawinder wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

just my opinion, if you can not trust the fundi with buying stuff why trust him putting a solid roof over your head, stress ya ku-travel from nairobi to bondo to buy material just because you don't want a fundi to pocket a few hundred bob

You have a point, but I doubt materials cost a few hundred bob.. Cement alone could sell at KES 670 in one hardware and KES 780 in another.. And you will not build with 1 bag of cement, rather 100s of bags.. Materials are to be watched like a hawk and buying the material doesn't mean you don't trust that bugger but rather you don't want to tempt

mawinder
#16 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:32:16 PM

obiero wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mawinder wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

You have a point, but I doubt materials cost a few hundred bob.. Cement alone could sell at KES 670 in one hardware and KES 780 in another.. And you will not build with 1 bag of cement, rather 100s of bags.. Materials are to be watched like a hawk and buying the material doesn't mean you don't trust that bugger but rather you don't want to tempt

Very true...If you want the fundi to buy materials then you need to involve architects, engineers etc for approval of samples and also a QS to measure the materials and works...The fundi will then be paid after payment certificates are raised ...This method is not advisable for a village home aS it will be expensive...Remember ALL fundis should be treated as thieves unless they prove otherwise..
Dahatre
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:34:32 AM

Pat87 wrote:

You can do this!
You got plenty of advice on logistics. Mine is a design one. Dunno how old your Mom is, but check plans again to make sure she can live in the house as she ages. some things I have learned with our parents:

1. Steps can become progressively harder to negotiate-leave space for ramps-also forget about sunken living rooms and stairs within the house-not safe

2. Make bathrooms safer..avoid bathtubs(showers better), asian style toilets and install instant hot water if possible, and later gadgets to make toiletting easier-higher toilet seat, bars to hang onto, chair to sit on when bathing etc..

3. You may need larger than standard doors and corridors for wheelchairs..

Anyway...Look up Universal design principles

Good luck..

webish
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:55:16 AM

Dahatre wrote:
Pat87 wrote:

You can do this!
You got plenty of advice on logistics. Mine is a design one. Dunno how old your Mom is, but check plans again to make sure she can live in the house as she ages. some things I have learned with our parents:

1. Steps can become progressively harder to negotiate-leave space for ramps-also forget about sunken living rooms and stairs within the house-not safe

2. Make bathrooms safer..avoid bathtubs(showers better), asian style toilets and install instant hot water if possible, and later gadgets to make toiletting easier-higher toilet seat, bars to hang onto, chair to sit on when bathing etc..

Good luck..

Very Good Advice.

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
Pat87
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:44:13 AM

mawinder wrote:
obiero wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mawinder wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

Very true...If you want the fundi to buy materials then you need to involve architects, engineers etc for approval of samples and also a QS to measure the materials and works...The fundi will then be paid after payment certificates are raised ...This method is not advisable for a village home aS it will be expensive...Remember ALL fundis should be treated as thieves unless they prove otherwise..

Following!!
Pat87
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:47:49 AM

Dahatre wrote:
Pat87 wrote:

You can do this!

Good luck..

Good points!I will take these in consideration,Mum is 55 years,sometimes we forget things that can be of great help,i will definitely take all these in consideration.