wazua Sat, Jun 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Electricity connection
Binti
#1 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 11:11:05 AM

Hi Wazua family!

I have a question to anyone with relevant information to kindly share and advice.

Am in the final stages of construction and have reached the point of electricity connection from KPLC.

I made an application and the quote i got was shocking!

I was told that my nearest power source is 90Mts and hence will need 2 joineries/poles(If i may use layman language)to my house costing Kshs.100,000.

I know there are cons at the KPLC offices but...is this cost realistic?

Pls advice.
In God I trust...
maka
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 11:19:10 AM

Binti wrote:
Hi Wazua family!

I have a question to anyone with relevant information to kindly share and advice.

Am in the final stages of construction and have reached the point of electricity connection from KPLC.

I was told that my nearest power source is 90Mts and hence will need 2 joineries/poles(If i may use layman language)to my house costing Kshs.100,000.

Pls advice.

Yes I know someone who has been a quote of 146k....what did the DP say again?
possunt quia posse videntur
dpmungai
#3 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 11:51:21 AM

Binti wrote:
Hi Wazua family!

Pls advice.

Got a quote of ~150k. What I was told was that the subsidised costs (35k) apply only for 1 pole or just a drop wire. 2 poles or more will have you paying more than 100k
maka
#4 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 12:04:50 PM

dpmungai wrote:
Binti wrote:
Hi Wazua family!

Pls advice.

Got a quote of ~150k. What I was told was that the subsidised costs (35k) apply only for 1 pole or just a drop wire. 2 poles or more will have you paying more than 100k

hay @ Binti there is your answer....and the way peeps were happySad
possunt quia posse videntur
Binti
#5 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 1:32:14 PM

maka wrote:
dpmungai wrote:
Binti wrote:
Hi Wazua family!

Pls advice.

I was just shocked.Had been prepared for a common figure of around 35K.

By the way how long does it take for the connection process after payment?
In God I trust...
EndowGaze
#6 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 2:37:02 PM

maka wrote:
dpmungai wrote:
[quote=Binti]Hi Wazua family!

Pls advice.

I was also given 150K quote and the explanation was that world bank stopped the subsidy they were giving to the Govt. However a look at the world bank website shows otherwise.
http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2015/03/31/world-bank-kenya-scale-up-electricity-access-strengthen-kplc-finances-service-delivery
Money is like manure. You have to spread it around or it smells. ~ J. Paul Getty
majimaji
#7 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 2:57:48 PM

Just pay. I'm mulling over a quote of KES 1,056,000.00.
gadj
#8 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 3:01:38 PM

If 2 poles do cost 100k what about the electricity that KPLC plans to sell to Rwanda? This is indeed corruption please don't pay way and above what the government says.
Gathige
#9 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 3:20:17 PM

gadj wrote:
If 2 poles do cost 100k what about the electricity that KPLC plans to sell to Rwanda? This is indeed corruption please don't pay way and above what the government says.

Maybe KPLC will use wireless technology to sambaza umeme to Kigali.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
dpmungai
#10 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 3:42:04 PM

Binti wrote:
maka wrote:
dpmungai wrote:
Binti wrote:
Hi Wazua family!

Pls advice.

I was just shocked.Had been prepared for a common figure of around 35K.

By the way how long does it take for the connection process after payment?

The connection is carried out using companies contracted by KPLC.. Mine took approx 1 month after payment.
Sakangu
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:41:11 AM

why not try solar, with 150k that's enough for initial setup, and you can slowly build on that if you wish. you will never need to pay anything after that.
jerry
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:02:06 AM

Sakangu wrote:
why not try solar, with 150k that's enough for initial setup, and you can slowly build on that if you wish. you will never need to pay anything after that.

Any solar expert in the house?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Bachuma Gate
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:40:16 AM

Just do a tweet to Kplc and chumo and see whether you get a different answer.
DOH
butterflyke
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:40:35 AM

I know of someone who was given a quote of 900k and when they complained it was halved without any explanation. They are still pursuing to get the 'rightful' quotation.

I agree re tweeting/making noise about it.
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
Axe
#15 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2015 1:46:12 PM

@ binti, Use the contractor for your area.
"You wouldn't know where the boundary was until you got a slap on the back of your wrist"
Binti
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 10:25:52 AM

Hallo Wazuans!

I retweeted and caused to the KPLC guys and they told me to wait that in December a transformer is being installed around my area and hence the cost will be cheaper then since it will just be a drop down to my house.
Still reminiscing whether to wait for it or just pay,get connected and forget about the loss!
In God I trust...
holycow
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:54:15 AM

I got a quote of 285k this week for a rural connection. In this case, the new poles will cover about 350m. Seems Uhuru pulled some major PR with the 15k electricity connection. Guess i'll just pay the amount since a solar home system for a similar amount will need maintenance after some time.
its2013
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:31:12 AM

Hi guys,

I applied last year and got a quote of almost 390k but I have noticed there's a new transformer at a new development that's nearer my site. I wonder if the costs have improved as I plan to reapply in January.
Pretty hurts
majimaji
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:35:37 AM

KP is still an opaque company, and also there is a lot of corruption in the installation of new customers business.
FRM2011
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:01:14 AM

majimaji wrote:

KP is still an opaque company, and also there is a lot of corruption in the installation of new customers business.

The hype you keep hearing about new connections is just hot air.

A rela paid 34K two years ago and to date he is still waiting for connection.

There was a time he was kicked out by security at their nyeri office after causing chaos demanding his refund.