wazua Wed, Jul 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

ECK And Kivuitu should be prosecuted
chepkel
#1 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 1:35:07 PM

looking at how election petitions have gone i think that ECK and Kivuitu should be charged in court. Imagine they brought all this mess and were still given millions as a send of package. Is it not very painfull. That they created a messand were paid to leave office. I wish i could be left alone in a closed room with kivuitu. Ningemfanyia mambo baddest. its very annoying.
masukuma
#2 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 1:41:58 PM

@chepkel, ECK hired people from various places. You became a returning officer in your area, a presiding office and a clerk in the same area you come from. Now with the polarization that occurred during the last election. Did you expect a man born and raised in Mbita to stop theft of votes in that area, when its their own that was going for office?
The Stakes were too high!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
mkenyan
#3 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 4:17:06 PM

masukuma wrote:
@chepkel, ECK hired people from various places. You became a returning officer in your area, a presiding office and a clerk in the same area you come from. Now with the polarization that occurred during the last election. Did you expect a man born and raised in Mbita to stop theft of votes in that area, when its their own that was going for office?
The Stakes were too high!

so that justifies everything? and by your reasoning we should never expect free and fair elections in kenya, now and in the future?
masukuma
#4 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 5:45:03 PM

@mkenyam, Fix the system!! Rotate Returning Officer, Presiding Officers, Polling clerks e.t.c. Don't blame individuals fix the system. Actually that election was free but not fair as people tried to out wit each other with stealing.
Wendz
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 7:28:29 AM

@mkenyam, Fix the system!! Rotate Returning Officer, Presiding Officers, Polling clerks e.t.c. Don't blame individuals fix the system. Actually that election was free but not fair as people tried to out wit each other with stealing.

@masukuma

the fastest way to do this is to vote YES to the constitution.... which you really dont agree with me already... LOL!
chepkel
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:13:51 AM

@Masukuma, yes i expected a man to stop theft in his area because that would have been the right thing to do and he would be performing his duty rightfully. I know that sounds really naive but i am pained that all these crap of trying to protect one man (i.e an MP or a president) ended up messing up our country and the actions being justified. We are in the process of changing the system but that does not excuse anybody so all those people, returning officers, presiding officers, commissioners and all must be rounded up and taken to court and should face the full face of the law. This will be a lesson to all other future employees of any electrol process. Now tell me, is it not possible for another retuning officer to declare another wrongful winner in the next election. S/He knows that s/he can easily get away with it. Tuna sheria kwa hii inchi why are we not using it????
We are busy looking for the big fish, taking years just to get a case in court while kuna wenye wanjulikana vizuri sana. Seriously, we should start with election officials from the constituencies that have been petitioned and declared vacant. This is a big problem, people shed blood, women were raped, children left homeless and without parents and taxpayers money is now being wasted trying to clean up the mess and the people who did it are just walking around. I bet some still talk about what they did in social areas like its nothing. How they received cash during elections...I am really feeling it kabisa.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:35:02 PM

This thing was beyond ECK and Kivuitu. Throwing Kivuitu in prison and throwing away the key won't give me, you or the IDPs closure. I believe that pie was cooked so well that it was above Kivuitu and the ECK at that time.

BBI will solve it
:)
masukuma
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:33:55 AM

@chepkel, they should be arrested and charged with....?
chepkel
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:45:13 AM

Am sure a charge will not be that hard to find. For example, the Returning officers who announced results that were untrue like in the case of Ndolo's constituency. Isn't anybody seeing that as an offense. Deliberately announcing false results??? Announcing results even before the counting and verification process is over???? That was just wrong. Chances are, by the way, these same returning officers will be reemployed during the next election/referendum. Will they do the same things???? Have they learnt their lesson that what they did was wrong?? Are they indifferent??? Are others becoming ambitious i.e i can take a bribe cheat the system coz the MP will be petitioned but i as the returning officer will go free??

Is there anything in the draft constitution that talks about this???
masukuma
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:05:33 AM

@chepkel, obviously you have not read the draft. the list of crimes is not listed there. It will be listed in an act of parliament (the penal code).
you can charge them with abuse of office if they are proven to have taken a bribe - thats all! for the rest, you can't prosecute incompetence.
chepkel
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:20:08 AM

@Masukuma, am in the process of reading.I am not talking about the Penal code or list of crimes. I am talking about election conduct.
masukuma
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:04:14 PM

the document contains how to form the IIEC's successor and what its tasks shall be.
chepkel
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:14:35 PM

so a subsidiary legislation is required for election malpractices??? is there any at the moment???
masukuma
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:05:32 PM

in the current constitution? i don't think so. these are not things to be put in the constitution. the penal code should cater for such things.
chepkel
#15 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2010 7:06:15 AM

I hope they will address such issues. It is really important. People cannot play with our democratic right then there is no need to vote if some person will just declare wrong results.
I hope someone is with me on this one. it is a matter of urgency or we will still have serious rigging and malpractices in 2012
Nandwa
#16 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2010 7:27:47 AM

Of course declaring wrong results on purpose is a wrong punishable in law - now and in the future.
There must be an incentive (from the beneficiary)to declare wrong results.
The wrong can be; abuse of office or corruption, or conspiracy to defraud/cheat/deprive etc.

The thread heading is wrong though.

Kiviutu was overwhelmed by an unruly population.
Lets not conveniently forget all the madness that was so palpable in the air in the run up to the elctions. Youths were practically intoxicated and hypnotised that the election had to go their way, anything else would be rigging.
Three, two and one days before election day it was propaganda galore.

It didnt matter who the ECK chair was the temperatures were simply too high, and certain elements were prepared to cheat/steal - from both sides.
Just as absolute power corrupts leaders, so does absolute fanaticism blind the people from logic