Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Nairobi from a county to Capital city
Rollins
#21 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 11:43:39 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
Metch wrote:
majimaji wrote:

Personally, i would prefer Nairobi to be divided further into 5 counties. We Nairobians are under represented.

Am thinking the opposite. Its other counties that should be merged. Kenya should have not more than 10 counties. Why have a multitude of counties that cannot pay for their own expenses?

Agreed.

I was anti Counties/Devil-ution before the new constitution* and I am still anti Counties/Devil-ution now. But I have stated here before, if we cannot get rid of Counties, let us have a maximum of 8 to 10. But I still prefer zero!!! I would rather we devolve money and use employees (as opposed to elected idiots) if that is the only way to ensure that each corner of the country gets a fair share of the cake we all bake!!!

*It is well documented in past posts that I was against devolution and warned all who listened that devolution would devolve corruption, will increase the wage bill to levels never seen (or even imagined) before in the country, will balkanize the country, will institutionalize tribalism etc. etc. Unfortunately for the country, all these things have come to pass. Get rid of this bloody counties. Kenya is too small to subdivided this way.

This is the problem with copy pasting. The governor of Califonia for example runs the 4th biggest economy in the world. The some clowns go to their constitution and copy paste the idea and come up with groupings of villages most of which are not economically viable and call them counties!!! Village groupings that have to get money from the National government even for recurrent expenditure! WTF!!??

Boss, Corruption has been with us longer than devolution. I will keep repeating that devolution is the best thing to have happened in Kenya. You do write from a lot of ignorance or bile Sir!
Even a BrOKeN clock is right twice a day
MaichBlack
#22 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 2:18:48 PM

Rollins wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Metch wrote:
majimaji wrote:

Personally, i would prefer Nairobi to be divided further into 5 counties. We Nairobians are under represented.

Am thinking the opposite. Its other counties that should be merged. Kenya should have not more than 10 counties. Why have a multitude of counties that cannot pay for their own expenses?

Agreed.

I was anti Counties/Devil-ution before the new constitution* and I am still anti Counties/Devil-ution now. But I have stated here before, if we cannot get rid of Counties, let us have a maximum of 8 to 10. But I still prefer zero!!! I would rather we devolve money and use employees (as opposed to elected idiots) if that is the only way to ensure that each corner of the country gets a fair share of the cake we all bake!!!

*It is well documented in past posts that I was against devolution and warned all who listened that devolution would devolve corruption, will increase the wage bill to levels never seen (or even imagined) before in the country, will balkanize the country, will institutionalize tribalism etc. etc. Unfortunately for the country, all these things have come to pass. Get rid of this bloody counties. Kenya is too small to subdivided this way.

This is the problem with copy pasting. The governor of Califonia for example runs the 4th biggest economy in the world. The some clowns go to their constitution and copy paste the idea and come up with groupings of villages most of which are not economically viable and call them counties!!! Village groupings that have to get money from the National government even for recurrent expenditure! WTF!!??

Boss, Corruption has been with us longer than devolution. I will keep repeating that devolution is the best thing to have happened in Kenya. You do write from a lot of ignorance or bile Sir!

Here is some ignorance
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#23 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 2:23:11 PM

And some more ignorance

What a nice thing to happen to this our country!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
#24 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 3:00:02 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
Looks like Central govt wants to eat from Nairobi.

It would be better than what is happening right now. By the time Kidero is done with it, it will be as finished as Mumias Sugar.

BBI will solve it
:)
hardwood
#25 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 3:38:49 PM

I think they want Nairobi to be governed like Washington DC, which is the seat of the federal govt and under direct control of the federal govt. Changing Nairobi's status in line with American system is understandable since we adopted the American style constitution in our new katiba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_district
Angelica _ann
#26 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 3:40:23 PM

[quote=hardwood]I think they want Nairobi to be governed like Washington DC, which is the seat of the federal govt and under direct control of the federal govt. Changing Nairobi's status in line with American system is understandable since we adopted the American constitution in our new katiba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_district[/quote]
This one is jokes, we will not allow the only nyama 'we' have to go easily!!!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
kayhara
#27 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 3:47:31 PM

How likely is it that this will pass, does katiba allow it.
To Each His Own
hardwood
#28 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 3:52:33 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
[quote=hardwood]I think they want Nairobi to be governed like Washington DC, which is the seat of the federal govt and under direct control of the federal govt. Changing Nairobi's status in line with American system is understandable since we adopted the American constitution in our new katiba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_district[/quote]
This one is jokes, we will not allow the only nyama 'we' have to go easily!!!!!

I support the move. Our national govt needs to have a home, just like the US govt has a home in Washington DC which it directly controls.
hardwood
#29 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 3:59:59 PM

C&P

Quote:
Washington’s legal status is unique within America. When the nation was founded, its statesmen worried that if the capital were situated within a state, that state might exercise undue power over the national government. Consequently, the constitution allows for the creation of “a district” for the capital, and grants Congress complete authority over this capital district. The resultant District of Columbia was formed out of parts of Maryland and Virginia (although Virginia’s part was eventually returned). Ever since, Washington has been governed by Congress, directly or indirectly.
Angelica _ann
#30 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 4:02:43 PM

hardwood wrote:
C&P

Quote:
Washington’s legal status is unique within America. When the nation was founded, its statesmen worried that if the capital were situated within a state, that state might exercise undue power over the national government. Consequently, the constitution allows for the creation of “a district” for the capital, and grants Congress complete authority over this capital district. The resultant District of Columbia was formed out of parts of Maryland and Virginia (although Virginia’s part was eventually returned). Ever since, Washington has been governed by Congress, directly or indirectly.

Governored by Congress not some thieving JP!!!!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
hardwood
#31 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 4:08:35 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:
C&P

Quote:

Congress is the equivalent of our parliament where JP has a majority. This is much better than having barely literate kanjoras/MCAs run the city, the home of the national govt.
Angelica _ann
#32 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 4:11:03 PM

hardwood wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:
C&P

Quote:

Congress is the equivalent of our parliament where JP has a majority. This is much better than having barely literate kanjoras/MCAs run the city, the home of the national govt.

Anyway the good thing is this requires 2/3 votes, they wont get it. So the bill is a non starter, waste of time. smile
hardwood
#33 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 4:16:47 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:
C&P

Quote:

Anyway the good thing is this requires 2/3 votes, they wont get it. So the bill is a non starter, waste of time. smile

If we fashioned our counties in line with American states, why did we forget to make our national capital like Washington DC and put it under national govt?
hardwood
#34 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 4:24:35 PM

During nusu mkate we used to have a Minister for Nairobi metropolis (Mutula Kilonzo, Githae etc) and thus there is nothing wrong with us having a Cabinet secretary for Nairobi now. It only means things will run more smoothly unlike now when kanjoras spend all their time throwing chairs at each other (and plotting kidero impeachment) instead of sorting the mess in the city.
Angelica _ann
#35 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 4:27:25 PM

hardwood wrote:
During nusu mkate we used to have a Minister for Nairobi metropolis (Mutula Kilonzo, Githae etc) and thus there is nothing wrong with us having a Cabinet secretary for Nairobi now. It only means things will run more smoothly unlike now when kanjoras spend all their time throwing chairs at each other (and plotting kidero impeachment) instead of sorting the mess in the city.

What did they achieve, if any?
sitaki.kujulikana
#36 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 5:54:51 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
And some fellows who are as corrupt as hell and claim to leading the fight against corruption and are apparently our only hope to ending corruption (I don't know how many people believe that bullshit!) are extremely silent even when the Auditor-General no less points out glaring corruption in counties like Nairoberry!!!

You payuka for a whole year because of the theft of 700 million from NYS and 20 BILLION is stolen in one county (let me not even go into other counties) and all over sudden you are dumb, deaf and blind. You must imagine people are idiots and don't notice! And you might be right because there are idiots who don't notice!!!

Don't get me wrong. All theft is wrong! NYS, Counties, National Government, Police officers, Kanjo, etc. Even 700/= stolen from tax payers is 700/= too much. But we cannot have seasoned thieves pretending to be looking for their fellow thieves!!!

Hapana, we prefer counties. If there was no devolution the central gava would be eating all the money, I much prefer the corruption is devolved so every corner of the country gets its thief in chief.

Example if we had the devolution from independence. Jomo would have stolen only the land in central/kiambu, he would not have stolen land in Taita, RV, and along the coast line.

we are a doomed people, yaani you are okay with corruption being spread out Sad
Angelica _ann
#37 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 6:27:38 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
And some fellows who are as corrupt as hell and claim to leading the fight against corruption and are apparently our only hope to ending corruption (I don't know how many people believe that bullshit!) are extremely silent even when the Auditor-General no less points out glaring corruption in counties like Nairoberry!!!

You payuka for a whole year because of the theft of 700 million from NYS and 20 BILLION is stolen in one county (let me not even go into other counties) and all over sudden you are dumb, deaf and blind. You must imagine people are idiots and don't notice! And you might be right because there are idiots who don't notice!!!

Don't get me wrong. All theft is wrong! NYS, Counties, National Government, Police officers, Kanjo, etc. Even 700/= stolen from tax payers is 700/= too much. But we cannot have seasoned thieves pretending to be looking for their fellow thieves!!!

Hapana, we prefer counties. If there was no devolution the central gava would be eating all the money, I much prefer the corruption is devolved so every corner of the country gets its thief in chief.

Example if we had the devolution from independence. Jomo would have stolen only the land in central/kiambu, he would not have stolen land in Taita, RV, and along the coast line.

we are a doomed people, yaani you are okay with corruption being spread out Sad

Better than having a few billionaires, let us have many millionaires. If you can't beat them, join them!!!!!
Alba
#38 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2016 11:44:14 PM

wukan wrote:

@Alba sema ukweli City commission days were some of the best days of this city. It was the only time that central govt was interested in urban renewal. Kameros(garbage trucks) were still working 2 days a week until around 1992. Most of the water projects like Ndakaini were planned during those years. Just before multi-party elections the city commission went on looting spree then we voted for the semi-illiterate kanjoras and everything went to the dogs.

This is how Nairobi was before the city commission.

Quote:
One may be used to cleaner Nairobi streets today. But at the time, huge garbage boxes littered the CBD and often lay there for weeks uncollected. One would find them in uptown areas like Kenyatta Avenue, where street boys and thugs scavenged in broad daylight. Those were the years that saw unparalleled scramble for public plots, which were grabbed with the approval of chief officers and councillors. Away went plots meant for clinics, schools, playgrounds, recreation and other public utilities. To protect themselves, some councilors were said to demarcate some plots and hand them out to landless people, forming squatter settlements that later bulged into ghettoes. As the probe got underway, it was found that despite lack of services, the council had a workforce of 17,000 employees. They earned more than Sh30 million in monthly salaries and Sh21 million as overtime. “This is totally unbelievable,” said President Moi when presented with the figures.
Read more at: https://www.standardmedi...ssolved-over-corruption

Yaani Wukan is saying that Moi was the knight in shining armor who rode in on a white horse to save Nairobi.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Kweli wazua kuna mambo
Or as Franco would say "Wazua mboka ya Makambo"

Then he says City commission days were among the best in the City. Sijui nicheke ama nilie.

Wukan there is a thread on Wazua that describes how Nairobi used to be in the 1960s when it was run by Wazungu or their prodigies. You should read that thread to learn about what a modern efficient city Nairobi was.
wukan
#39 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 8:16:43 AM

Yaani Alba what did Moi do to you? Were you in this city when Nairobi was hosting the 1987 All Africa games ama you came under the DF (district focus)? Nairobi has never been more spruced up and organized like that time. That was the time the central govt was committed to Nairobi-there were nyayo buses and even plans for light rail. The city commission did a fantastic job in its early years.

In any event you have been voting for kanjoras from 1992 that's 24 years City commission was only in place for 8 years. What transformation have you seen from kanjo? All the key projects thika road, outer ring, eastleigh roads, upper hill, the nairobi trunk sewer system are all central govt projects.
wukan
#40 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 8:22:14 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:

What did they achieve, if any?

The Nairobi master plan, the spatial plan. Look for it and you will understand the current road construction projects and zoning proposals under vision 2030.