wazua Sat, Jun 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Hand dug shallow well
its2013
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:57:17 PM

Rollins wrote:
Hi Wazuans. I hope this thread belongs here but i stand to be collected. I have some boys hand digging for me a shallow well in shags. They are past 100 ft but have been encountering 'gas' challenge. Apparently there is a gas that seeps from the crust and it can be choking so digging is very slow. Anyone know ho the gas is dealt with. They have been using banana stalks but its not too much.
Where are the wizened ones to help out a brother!

That sounds like a potentially toxic gas. Better get it tested first then you can have a way forward.
Pretty hurts
Chaka
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:01:33 AM

A possible way out for me would be to have two air pumps..one to suck out the denser CO2/water vapour and another(hose higher that the other one)pump in surface air i,e both pumps running..
How were the wells having depths of 95-120 ft dug?I would dread a worker(s) dying down there..
Rollins
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:48:28 PM

I will be visiting the place to ascertain what the gas could be ( through face to face interview)*. The boys have dug another 17 ft so we are at 120 ft...Problem partly overcome by leaving the hole uncovered (quiet risky) and partly swirling banana leaves continously as the digging goes. when the fumes are too strong they take a break.
Here is hoping water is struck sooner.
Even a BrOKeN clock is right twice a day
matatuman
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:31:57 PM

Rollins wrote:
I will be visiting the place to ascertain what the gas could be ( through face to face interview)*. The boys have dug another 17 ft so we are at 120 ft...Problem partly overcome by leaving the hole uncovered (quiet risky) and partly swirling banana leaves continously as the digging goes. when the fumes are too strong they take a break.
Here is hoping water is struck sooner.

There is no gas, at that depth there is no sufficient oxygen. A guy in a well with a diameter of approx 1.5 metres easily exhausts the available oxygen supply.
majimaji
#25 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2015 12:13:54 PM

where can i get a small good reliable submersible pump for a well, apart from davis and shirtliff
TheOnlyZero
#26 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2015 12:52:20 PM

majimaji wrote:

where can i get a small good reliable submersible pump for a well, apart from davis and shirtliff

Try Rift Valley Machinery Serives and/or TransAfrica Water
"I'm a good cook. I've been cooking answers since my first exam years ago"
Rollins
#27 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 1:08:44 PM

Some updates. The diggers managed to dig upto 120ft. The 'gas' problem was overcome by leaving the well open overnight and also using banana leaves. The person digging would go carry a banana leaf with him all the way down to supply some oxygen i guess. At 120ft my resources were depleted so the digging stopped sometimes in late October (around when elnino begun). So last week my old man was checking around the well and discovered it has some water which has kept rising. The last measurement revealed 12ft of water! some good news to me.
Rollins
#28 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 1:28:56 PM

TheOnlyZero wrote:
majimaji wrote:

@Majimaji. Did you succeed in getting the pump? I am interested
kayhara
#29 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 10:10:21 AM

Rollins wrote:
Some updates. The diggers managed to dig upto 120ft. The 'gas' problem was overcome by leaving the well open overnight and also using banana leaves. The person digging would go carry a banana leaf with him all the way down to supply some oxygen i guess. At 120ft my resources were depleted so the digging stopped sometimes in late October (around when elnino begun). So last week my old man was checking around the well and discovered it has some water which has kept rising. The last measurement revealed 12ft of water! some good news to me.

120 ft wow those guys are not jokers, I live at the coast and I see guys here do cheaper boreholes usually 100k including the pipes the owner buys the pump and an overhead tank, doing cost coparison with how much you have used which one is cost effective, plus I have fears that guys can fall into wells not well covered, or collapsed covers.
To Each His Own
majimaji
#30 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 9:25:15 AM

Rollins wrote:
TheOnlyZero wrote:
majimaji wrote:

I got one, made in Ukraine, Greece or some country where they use that funny alphabet. It was cheap 6500/=. Then I installed it and it was working but the vibration against the rocks in my well wore the base metal, a soft alloy and the thing went kaput...
maka
#31 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:55:05 PM

@120 feet no water?eish huku ni wapi?
possunt quia posse videntur
maka
#32 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:56:10 PM

@120 feet no water?eish huku ni wapi?
possunt quia posse videntur
matatuman
#33 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:18:58 PM

majimaji wrote:
Rollins wrote:
TheOnlyZero wrote:
majimaji wrote:

I got one, made in Ukraine, Greece or some country where they use that funny alphabet. It was cheap 6500/=. Then I installed it and it was working but the vibration against the rocks in my well wore the base metal, a soft alloy and the thing went kaput...

Its not vibration that killed it. The impeller must have been made of brass which is intolerant to silt. Pumps with plastic impellers perform better as they can withstand light silt without seizing. The pump should be suspended, not in contact with your wells base.
Rollins
#34 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2016 2:42:51 PM

Some updates! recently i assessed my well and found it has about 35ft of water. I am currently shopping for a submersible pump that can pump the water say about 150ft...
Any suggestions
its2013
#35 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2016 11:09:36 AM

Rollins wrote:
Some updates! recently i assessed my well and found it has about 35ft of water. I am currently shopping for a submersible pump that can pump the water say about 150ft...
Any suggestions

Congratulations! I know someone who uses a Pedrollo pump from a 92 foot well up to the house's water tank. Has never used a submersible pump but has had to replace the pedrolo twice in the last 8 years.

Also, I need someone to complete a well for me. The place has a bit of hard rock at some point but wells there are generally not as deep as yours. They generally get to between 60 - 80 ft. Did you encounter that hard rock?
Pretty hurts
majimaji
#36 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2016 9:58:28 AM

matatuman wrote:
majimaji wrote:
Rollins wrote:
TheOnlyZero wrote:
majimaji wrote:

Its not vibration that killed it. The impeller must have been made of brass which is intolerant to silt. Pumps with plastic impellers perform better as they can withstand light silt without seizing. The pump should be suspended, not in contact with your wells base.

Follow-up: I decided to consult the professionals and walked in to Davis and Shirtliff and walked out with a good submersible pump for about 19k. So far so good, I'm now off Kanjo water.