wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

dilemna-please guide
target1360
#1 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 7:33:25 AM

Greetings,

i write to seek your opinion.

my nephew(26years old) is in receipt of kes 100k bonus payment from his employer and has several mutually exclusive options on how to utelise the same.

1.Use the funds for roofing his incompleted house/simba in the village.estimated cost about 110k

2. pay Off and cancel his barclays credit card which has a balance of about 95k and has been charging high interest rates.interest per month is about 4.4% compounded!

3. clear his helb loan of about 97k.this will free up the 10k monthly cashflow that has been gouing towards fast tracking repayment.

4.invest the same in expanding a farming operation in the village.

5.save the money in a money market account at sanlam and forget about it

6.take the money to bank and use it as a security for a overdraft.

please advise.
I find satisfaction in owning great business,not trading them
instinct
#2 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 7:41:36 AM

target1360 wrote:
Greetings,

my nephew(26years old) is in receipt of kes 100k bonus payment from his employer and has several mutually exclusive options on how to utelise the same.

1.Use the funds for roofing his incompleted house/simba in the village.estimated cost about 110k

2. pay Off and cancel his barclays credit card which has a balance of about 95k and has been charging high interest rates.interest per month is about 4.4% compounded!

3. clear his helb loan of about 97k.this will free up the 10k monthly cashflow that has been gouing towards fast tracking repayment.

please advise.

2. he should also return it to the bank
Gatheuzi
#3 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 8:02:54 AM

instinct wrote:
target1360 wrote:
Greetings,

please advise.

2. he should also return it to the bank

Exactly! Pay off the expensive debt first. He can then use the interest savings to accelerate HELB monthy repayments.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
sparkly
#4 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 8:51:23 AM

target1360 wrote:
Greetings,

please advise.

The Money cycle is SPEND... SAVE ... INVEST.

Spend

There is no use of making money if you cant buy nice things, enjoy good moments.

For this reason i suggest that he should buy himself some good apparel/ gadget and buy his girl friend some jewelry. Budget 30k.

Save

Always a good idea to keep something aside for future investment and contingencies. The money market is a good idea. Budget 30K.

Investment

Investment is about increasing income, growing the basket. If the basket is leaking, its advisable to plug the leaks first. Therefore, reduce the the credit card debt. Budget 40k.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Angelica _ann
#5 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 10:02:30 AM

Pay the credit card debt and throw the card away in some dark tunnel and never ever think of taking another!!!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Metch
#6 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 10:15:01 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Pay the credit card debt and throw the card away in some dark tunnel and never ever think of taking another!!!!!

100% agree. The road to financial freedom begins with crawling out of crippling debt. The other options are noble but they present a 'one step forward two steps back' scenario as long as he is still servicing debt
Start!
chikonde
#7 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 10:29:17 AM

Metch wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

100% agree. The road to financial freedom begins with crawling out of crippling debt. The other options are noble but they present a 'one step forward two steps back' scenario as long as he is still servicing NON PRODUCTIVE debt

Gathige
#8 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 3:46:26 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

The best way to use a credit card is to pay the monthly balance in full at the due date. They have the worst interest rates.

BTW credit cards are good if you want to manage and track your finances. eg , if your monthly recurrent budget is 50k, and you have issues keeping track of receipts, you swipe the card and use the monthly statements to track your expenses.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
bennry
#9 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 12:45:21 PM

sparkly wrote:
target1360 wrote:
Greetings,

please advise.

Spend

There is no use of making money if you cant buy nice things, enjoy good moments.

For this reason i suggest that he should buy himself some good apparel/ gadget and buy his girl friend some jewelry. Budget 30k.

Save

Always a good idea to keep something aside for future investment and contingencies. The money market is a good idea. Budget 30K.

Investment

Investment is about increasing income, growing the basket. If the basket is leaking, its advisable to plug the leaks first. Therefore, reduce the the credit card debt. Budget 40k.

Good Advice

tony stark
#10 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 7:37:08 PM

This is a no brainer. Lipa Barclay card debt ASAP.
mkeiy
#11 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 10:27:55 AM

target1360 wrote:
Greetings,

please advise.

Pay off the Barclay Card even before farting.

Now, where is that accountant to explain number 6 for me, AGAIN?
AlphDoti
#12 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 12:07:27 PM

bennry wrote:
sparkly wrote:
target1360 wrote:
Greetings,

please advise.

Spend

Save

Investment

Good Advice

@sparkly, interesting advice. Please explain why he should not go for option 2 straight away?