wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Supply of Product in Supermarket Shelves
Pret
#1 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2010 9:49:40 AM

d'oh! Hi all,

Would someone give me more insight on what a start up business needs to supply to supermarkets.this is a new business with expected sales turnover of Ksh 30,000(monthly)

Thankyou.
subaru
#2 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2010 10:20:40 AM

your product should have a barcode have u found one ?
Pret
#3 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 5:58:44 AM

Subaru,
Thanx for ur prompt response,i still do not have a barcode how much would that roughly cost?is it that enough for me to get orders?
www.eastafricanized.com
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:07:57 PM

sell products through a virtual supermarket. you can market all your products by listing them absolutely free of charge at www.eastafricanized.com

join other business entities as we make information about products and services easily accessible to buyers. Do not forget to tell a friend
ECHOKENYA
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:49:32 PM

I think your product shold meet the standards,the bar code,the Kebs symbol and may be the Kebs diamond mark of product quality.

This later one is not a must for a sturtup,may be acquired later
http://echoproperties.kbo.co.ke
Echo estate management Limited
kazee
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:12:54 PM

Has anyone on Wazua supplied products to supermarkets like Nakumatt for sale and how is the process like?
kaka2za
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:41:47 AM

kazee wrote:
Has anyone on Wazua supplied products to supermarkets like Nakumatt for sale and how is the process like?

Are you prepared to wait for three months to get paid for deliveries?
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
KulaRaha
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:51:36 AM

200 days payment terms if you're lucky. Plus price has to be fine....

Waste of time.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
merkava
#9 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 8:02:51 AM

Pret wrote:
Subaru,
Thanx for ur prompt response,i still do not have a barcode how much would that roughly cost?is it that enough for me to get orders?

For barcodes go to GS1 kenya on Mombasa road,opposite njia ya kuingia imara u will get a quote. Depends on many variables and there is also an annual fee they charge 15k annually if am not wrong.
Barikiwa tufanane
Much Know
#10 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 10:53:09 AM

From experience,if your product is extremely unique and in demand, and will attract midro and upper class, try chandarania, they sometimes take stuff very easily, the manager has a look and places it on shelf on "consignment basis", OTHERWISE as a startup i would advise you to completely forget about Kenyan supermarkets as a launching pad for your business. That is for heavyweights with hundreds of millions to start off with. If you are small, the employees who can "help you" get your product on the shelf will ringa ringa until you can bribe them with a few hundred K or a milli, to get on the shelve, very nasty and thick fellows, then your stock has to "sleep" on their shelves, and to hire marketing people to get some movement for all the "malls" and "supermarkets" the best quote is kitu another mio, for a small timer sme like yourself.

At the end of of the day, many people have endured the above with a lot of hope, and still fallen flat, countless products, think of the milk and yourghat companies gone under, grain packing, food processing, hundreds don't make it, by far the majority. The supermarkets indeed serve a small portion of Kenyans, kiosks and kadogo and mama mboga serve the majority, that is where you want to succeed, start small think big!
A New Kenya
koscielny
#11 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 5:01:13 PM

Much Know wrote:
From experience,if your product is extremely unique and in demand, and will attract midro and upper class, try chandarania, they sometimes take stuff very easily, the manager has a look and places it on shelf on "consignment basis", OTHERWISE as a startup i would advise you to completely forget about Kenyan supermarkets as a launching pad for your business. That is for heavyweights with hundreds of millions to start off with. If you are small, the employees who can "help you" get your product on the shelf will ringa ringa until you can bribe them with a few hundred K or a milli, to get on the shelve, very nasty and thick fellows, then your stock has to "sleep" on their shelves, and to hire marketing people to get some movement for all the "malls" and "supermarkets" the best quote is kitu another mio, for a small timer sme like yourself.

At the end of of the day, many people have endured the above with a lot of hope, and still fallen flat, countless products, think of the milk and yourghat companies gone under, grain packing, food processing, hundreds don't make it, by far the majority. The supermarkets indeed serve a small portion of Kenyans, kiosks and kadogo and mama mboga serve the majority, that is where you want to succeed, start small think big!

Applause Applause Applause
The Best is Yet to Come
newfarer
#12 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 8:19:21 PM

hardwood
#13 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 9:56:46 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

Waste of time.

Sad. I never knew that when I pay cash for my sukuma, milk, bread, beef etc at these supermarkets, the suppliers have to wait for close to one year to get paid. I will go back to buying my food and other items at the mama Mboga, local butcher, kiosk. That way I will be supporting the farmers and suppliers.
Ash Ock
#14 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 10:05:08 PM

-
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
kazee
#15 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 2:53:09 PM

Thanks Much Know and team. This is very insightful feedback

Much Know wrote:

KulaRaha
#16 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 4:09:01 PM

hardwood wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Waste of time.

Sad. I never knew that when I pay cash for my sukuma, milk, bread, beef etc at these supermarkets, the suppliers have to wait for close to one year to get paid. I will go back to buying my food and other items at the mama Mboga, local butcher, kiosk. That way I will be supporting the farmers and suppliers.

Smart move. Support small businesses...leave Nakumatt and co. with their financial juggling.

I can never shop at Uchumi and support those corrupt goons.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
madollar
#17 Posted : Friday, October 07, 2016 12:14:47 PM

alma1
#18 Posted : Friday, October 07, 2016 5:02:23 PM

I have yet to understand why a small business owner who needs cash flow bothers with these big outfits that milk your cash...It's 2016, go online tafadhali.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?