wazua Tue, Apr 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Septic vs Bio Digester
Felipe
#1 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 10:04:35 PM

Hi,

I intend to build a house in a 1/4 acre plot and I'm confused between installing a septic or bio digester. I understand that the digester's performance hasn't yet been proven as it's a new technology and that the recycled water has a distinct smell.

Could anyone share his/her experience on the same? What would you recommend and why?

TA = Price Action + Vol + S/R + Trend + Pattern.
TSi
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:20:27 PM

I am also interested in this technology
Jitahidi
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:40:56 PM

Felipe wrote:
Hi,

I intend to build a house in a 1/4 acre plot and I'm confused between installing a septic or bio digester. I understand that the digester's performance hasn't yet been proven as it's a new technology and that the recycled water has a distinct smell.

Could anyone share his/her experience on the same? What would you recommend and why?

I had a nasty experience on digester. After spending money including engaging an 'expert' to implement a digester for flashing toilets in my commercial building it was a disaster after one month. The recycled water had a bad smell; we tried all means to mitigate the bad smell until I gave up. I disconnected it in the 2nd month and wrote off the cost incurred.
MatataMingi
#4 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 2:49:34 PM

What exactly are we talking about when discussing " digester "
There are many kinds.
Please specify which one.
Felipe
#5 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 5:32:42 PM

MatataMingi wrote:
What exactly are we talking about when discussing " digester "
There are many kinds.
Please specify which one.

Digester I mean, a biological septic tank that use bacteria to digest organic waste on site. As for, Bio-digester model type: T6 (18 persons) or T9 (up to 40 persons).
TSi
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2016 12:01:56 PM

Are there sites that have used a bio-digester for over 5 years that one can visit and inquire about the experiences? Would appreciate referrals.
Felipe
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2016 12:21:18 PM

TSi wrote:
Are there sites that have used a bio-digester for over 5 years that one can visit and inquire about the experiences? Would appreciate referrals.

I second @TSi's sentiments. Mucking thro' this gray area as a control can lead to huge losses .. tho' I'm told that certain embassies use the digester (am yet to know which ones)
Jitahidi
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2016 12:29:46 PM

Felipe wrote:
TSi wrote:

I second @TSi's sentiments. Mucking thro' this gray area as a control can lead to huge losses .. tho' I'm told that certain embassies use the digester (am yet to know which ones)

I agree too. I burnt my fingers for experimenting. Unless you are 100% sure how it will work for you I don't recommend
majimaji
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2016 12:57:14 PM

Felipe wrote:
Hi,

For a single dwelling unit, it is cheaper to install a septic tank. A septic tank designed properly can last even 20 years as it is self regulating.

In a bio-digester, for it to work well and depending on the design, one needs to pump (electricity) in air (oxygen) to aid the breakdown of nutrients by bacteria. This is called aerobic decomposition. To start the bio-process, you may require to seed the tank with the right bacteria.

If the oxygen is not enough in the tank, then you have anaerobic decomposition which produces methane (bio-gas) and other bad smelling gases such as hydrogen sulphide (smell of rotten eggs). A biogas plant is an example of an anaerobic bio-digester.

Bio-digesters malfunction primarily due to overloading (bacteria need time to break down the nutrients) and this means the design is not good. Also, you might murder all the bacteria for example using soaps that say they kill 99% of germs or introducing things like Jik that are otherwise household disinfectants.
Felipe
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2016 4:55:23 PM

majimaji wrote:
Felipe wrote:
Hi,

For a single dwelling unit, it is cheaper to install a septic tank. A septic tank designed properly can last even 20 years as it is self regulating.

In a bio-digester, for it to work well and depending on the design, one needs to pump (electricity) in air (oxygen) to aid the breakdown of nutrients by bacteria. This is called aerobic decomposition. To start the bio-process, you may require to seed the tank with the right bacteria.

If the oxygen is not enough in the tank, then you have anaerobic decomposition which produces methane (bio-gas) and other bad smelling gases such as hydrogen sulphide (smell of rotten eggs). A biogas plant is an example of an anaerobic bio-digester.

Bio-digesters malfunction primarily due to overloading (bacteria need time to break down the nutrients) and this means the design is not good. Also, you might murder all the bacteria for example using soaps that say they kill 99% of germs or introducing things like Jik that are otherwise household disinfectants.

@Majimaji, nashukuru kwa majibu yako mazuri na ya haraka naamini nimepata ushauri sahihi. Ubarikiwe