DTB FY15 earnings up 11.4%
Boris Boyka
#41 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:14:25 AM

sparkly wrote:
Arconnrk wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
@VVS. After looking At I&M and DTB I've decided to invest in both. IM is too good a bank to ignore. Those 2 are going places. So. Kcb, equity, Dtb and I&M are my banks from now on.

Good evening the buyer, so what % will these banks be of your portfolio. I saw you discouraged exposure to financials or am I dreaming!

Ha ha. "The buyer". No more than 40%. I'll be having around 12 stocks by that time. You'll be happy to know that I'm planning to sell the NIC that I have been picking up over-the-last six months.

Applause Great choices @aguy. As @VVS noted it will be good to compare once I&m announces.

Similar size, market segment, growth, stock price. If its diversification you are looking for, i don't see any in these choices. If you just want to have the two in your portfolio, we cant argue with that.

@Sparkly I was surprised when I saw Aguy I have known for a while getting exposed to Financials upto 40% and have not 2 not 3 but 4 financials in his portfolio.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
Aguytrying
#42 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:22:19 PM

PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
@Aguy - I had a look (again) at NIC's NPLs, its Provisions and its Provisions/NPLs. I suggest you do so again.
A pity I&M hasn't released results so we can compare the 3 Tier 2 banks.

I have seen the NIC Non perfoming loans. Its ground shaking. No wonder market has punished the share. DTB compared, its a no brainer vs NIC. good regional spread. low NPLS. The only real competitior now is vs I&M. But DTB gets the nod from coz of Aghakan management. Profits wise. they were neck and neck last year.

At 180, i should've been sweeping DTB off the shelf. Pre and post bonus ill be looking for opportunities to strike. I&M is really good. Better div yeild, similar aggression, interesting geographic spread. (NIC 97% profits from Kenya!)

To think DTB 3-4 years ago was at 90.00. This is a share that will just keep growing and giving decent consistent returns to share holders.

@Aguy,
What was the main cause of increased NPLs for NIC?

Could be their SME portfolio, In 2015 they went aggresively into SME. There's a statement to that effect on this thread.

Its a good share, i expect the NPLS to be sorted out eventually. Where DTB and I&M edge NIC out for me is geographical spread and the loan book "cleanliness"

@sparkly. DTB and I&M are similar but the geographical spread is different, with I&M present in Mauritius and Rwanda that DTB isn't. While DTB is present in Uganda and Burundi that I&M isn't.
I&M also has an appetite for acquisitions and mergers more than DTB. while DTB retains more cash for expansion as highlighted by the lower dividend payout and does rights issues more.
Then lastly they are two different entities and are bound to try slightly different strategies in the future so naturally one may succeed more than the other.

@Boris. 30-40% is okay. Insurance is included in this. IF jubilee ever comes down (highly unlikely) I will replace DTB with it, because it owns around 10% of DTB.
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Othelo
#43 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:31:07 PM

DTB & I&M have strong foundation with good fundermentals for long term .....5+ years. Very rewarding for those who are patient and also re-investing dividends. Bought DTB way back at 70-83 ranges.... no regrets!!!!!

I have never held I&M, though i held City trust for along time. Those ordinary/ugly annual financial statements bored me and i stupidly sold before the deal. Poor me, whenever VVS talks about I&M, i shed a tear on the lost opportunity. Ni sawa tu. smile

But not all stories are good in equity investment .... mine is KQ and firestone smile
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
PKoli
#44 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:50:24 PM

@Aguy,

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Just for your info NIC Bank is in Tz and Ug. In Ug they have two branches. Maybe still young in the region, but they are on the way.
sparkly
#45 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:56:28 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
@Aguy - I had a look (again) at NIC's NPLs, its Provisions and its Provisions/NPLs. I suggest you do so again.

I have seen the NIC Non perfoming loans. Its ground shaking. No wonder market has punished the share. DTB compared, its a no brainer vs NIC. good regional spread. low NPLS. The only real competitior now is vs I&M. But DTB gets the nod from coz of Aghakan management. Profits wise. they were neck and neck last year.

At 180, i should've been sweeping DTB off the shelf. Pre and post bonus ill be looking for opportunities to strike. I&M is really good. Better div yeild, similar aggression, interesting geographic spread. (NIC 97% profits from Kenya!)

To think DTB 3-4 years ago was at 90.00. This is a share that will just keep growing and giving decent consistent returns to share holders.

@Aguy,

Could be their SME portfolio, In 2015 they went aggresively into SME. There's a statement to that effect on this thread.

Its a good share, i expect the NPLS to be sorted out eventually. Where DTB and I&M edge NIC out for me is geographical spread and the loan book "cleanliness"

@sparkly. DTB and I&M are similar but the geographical spread is different, with I&M present in Mauritius and Rwanda that DTB isn't. While DTB is present in Uganda and Burundi that I&M isn't.
I&M also has an appetite for acquisitions and mergers more than DTB. while DTB retains more cash for expansion as highlighted by the lower dividend payout and does rights issues more.
Then lastly they are two different entities and are bound to try slightly different strategies in the future so naturally one may succeed more than the other.

@Boris. 30-40% is okay. Insurance is included in this. IF jubilee ever comes down (highly unlikely) I will replace DTB with it, because it owns around 10% of DTB.

@aguy if you know what you are doing, why not pick the better one, in your opinion?

The two banks have more in common than their differences. Risks and returns are similar. They will rise and fall together, pay measly dividends, issue bonuses.

I would rather pick one, concentrate on it, know it well instead of spending too much time averaging good performance from both.

Life is short. Live passionately.
Aguytrying
#46 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:51:53 PM

sparkly wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Aguy,

@aguy if you know what you are doing, why not pick the better one, in your opinion?

The two banks have more in common than their differences. Risks and returns are similar. They will rise and fall together, pay measly dividends, issue bonuses.

I would rather pick one, concentrate on it, know it well instead of spending too much time averaging good performance from both.

@sparkly. You are a wise investor, i can't deny what you are saying because its the truth and logical. I have battled with this decision for long, I just can't let one go. its not logical but id rather just have both.
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
sparkly
#47 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:21:03 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Aguy,

@sparkly. You are a wise investor, i can't deny what you are saying because its the truth and logical. I have battled with this decision for long, I just can't let one go. its not logical but id rather just have both.

Laughing out loudly polygamy
Life is short. Live passionately.
Aguytrying
#48 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:26:19 PM

sparkly wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Aguy,

Laughing out loudly polygamy

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
VituVingiSana
#49 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:42:03 PM

PKoli wrote:
@Aguy,

Just for your info NIC Bank is in Tz and Ug. In Ug they have two branches. Maybe still young in the region, but they are on the way.

The CEO said the focus will be on expanding in Kenya vs TZ and UG. The characteristics of those markets is very different.

Has any KE bank except DTB made significant profits in TZ after allowing for depreciations vs KES?
What about UG after allowing for depreciations vs KES?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#50 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:51:05 PM

sparkly wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Aguy,

Facts, please.

I&M pays a rather healthy dividend vs DTB. I think the I&M dividend yield is 2x DTB.

Has I&M issued a bonus since its Private Placement [3-4 years ago]? If yes, when? Has DTB?

Has I&M ever come to the market for Tier 1 capital since the Private Placement? If yes, when? Has DTB?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
PKoli
#51 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 3:00:22 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
PKoli wrote:
@Aguy,

The CEO said the focus will be on expanding in Kenya vs TZ and UG. The characteristics of those markets is very different.

Has any KE bank except DTB made significant profits in TZ after allowing for depreciations vs KES?
What about UG after allowing for depreciations vs KES?

@VVS,
I don't know about the Tz operations but they have been operating one branch in Uganda till end last year when they added another one.i think they are cautious with expansions
Pesa Nane
#52 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:30:02 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Aguy,

Quote:
Gross NPLs were up drastically to KES 14.4BN in 2015 from KES 6.9 BN in 2014 as Loss provisions increased dramatically by 402.1% to KES 1.7 BN attributed to the bank’s exposure to the fallen Imperial Bank (KES 306 MN provision) and KES 840
MN from its top 5 borrowers in the trade and manufacturing sectors
of the economy.
This surge in NPLs drove the bank’s Gross NPL ratio 467bps y-o-y to 11.0% which is significantly higher than the average banking sector NPL Ratio of about
5.7%, underlining a much higher NPL portfolio compared to the banking sector average.
Its NPL coverage suffered a massive 4,458bps drop to 21.0%, which is much lower than the average banking sector NPL Coverage Ratio of about 40.5% underlining
under-provisioning for its NPL portfolio.
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
murchr
#53 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:40:25 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Aguy,

Quote:
Gross NPLs were up drastically to KES 14.4BN in 2015 from KES 6.9 BN in 2014 as Loss provisions increased dramatically by 402.1% to KES 1.7 BN attributed to the bank’s exposure to the fallen Imperial Bank (KES 306 MN provision) and KES 840
MN from its top 5 borrowers in the trade and manufacturing sectors
of the economy.
This surge in NPLs drove the bank’s Gross NPL ratio 467bps y-o-y to 11.0% which is significantly higher than the average banking sector NPL Ratio of about
5.7%, underlining a much higher NPL portfolio compared to the banking sector average.
Its NPL coverage suffered a massive 4,458bps drop to 21.0%, which is much lower than the average banking sector NPL Coverage Ratio of about 40.5% underlining
under-provisioning for its NPL portfolio.

Any hopes of getting their money from Imperial Bank?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Aguytrying
#54 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:19:05 PM

Ironical. Wouldn't you expect that to be happening to DTB and I&M
Pesa Nane
#55 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:07:32 AM

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.