wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Goodbye Windows operating system
tmatekwa
#1 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:19:24 AM

I have finally weaned myself from windows. I am now using Linux mint, and am enjoying the experience. It comes free, no need for antivirus, fast and light on resources.

I would like to recommend Ubuntu mate, mint mate and zorin for beginners
dunkang
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2016 1:19:06 PM

tmatekwa wrote:
I have finally weaned myself from windows. I am now using Linux mint, and am enjoying the experience. It comes free, no need for antivirus, fast and light on resources.

And the problem associated with the non-Microsoft OS is compatibility with the major professional softwares, in my case, Autodesk engineering softwares.

Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

kayhara
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2016 3:35:33 PM

dunkang wrote:
tmatekwa wrote:

And the problem associated with the non-Microsoft OS is compatibility with the major professional softwares, in my case, Autodesk engineering softwares.

I wonder when AutoCad and archicad will move to android, Ubuntu and the rest make it hard to share files with others
To Each His Own
holycow
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 8:40:24 AM

dunkang wrote:

The day this happens, i'll move to Linux for good. There is always talk of using Virtual machines and emulators (whatever those are)!
quicksand
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 12:05:39 PM

holycow wrote:
dunkang wrote:

The day this happens, i'll move to Linux for good. There is always talk of using Virtual machines and emulators (whatever those are)!

Virtual Machines / Emulators run another operating system inside an application. I have seen VMs for Windows and Macs that allow you to run Linux flavours (meaning you get to run Linux inside Windows). There are VMs for Linux that allow you to run Windows and other OSes but they target mainly Enterprise / Server side Linux OSes like Oracle Linux and Redhat.
A stable VM is not an easy thing to make and maintain. There is no financial upside to make a VM for Linux desktop enthusiasts. It is the same for some professional software, they do not have the money and manpower to create an edition for every Linux flavor out there.
If you do serious, very narrow and domain specific work you might never be able to divorce yourself from Windows or Mac. It is also pointless to run Windows in a VM as opposed to natively because it is inefficient (computer resource wise) and Windows, by having more software support, will be more productive. Better to reverse the setup run the Linux in a VM instead. Which brings to me to my final argument: What's the point?
If you are not an IT techie or a technology enthusiast/hobbyist, the Linux desktop road is a flashy, ephemeral thing that in the end will cost you in lost productivity. Accept it, mainstream software is something sometimes you have to pay for, like rent, taxes, fuel etc. The cost is usually less than time wasted going down other technology paths that are not related to what you want your computer to do for you.

tmatekwa
#6 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2016 5:52:36 PM

Linux is adequate for everyday computer usage: emails, Internet browsing, videos, music.....etc.I am also impressed with the free CD/DVD burning tools, whose equivalent are commercialized on Microsoft OS.

Those who need professional software would rather stick with Microsoft.
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 12:52:27 AM

goverments run on linux.so donot be scared/shy about using linux

https://en.wikipedia.org...inux_adopters#Government
EngineerLMG
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 09, 2016 11:11:23 AM

dunkang wrote:
tmatekwa wrote:

Exactly.
I can't run Inventor without complicated tweaks.
For the sake of biz, I'll just stick to Windows.
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:24:57 AM

good decision never look back.but ubuntu is the best