wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Civil, architectural, telecommunication engineering
Ngogoyo
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:37:23 AM

Hi wazuans

My brother scored a straight A. We are trying to ensure he gets the best course to ensure he either gets a good job or employs himself (and creates job opportunities for others)

He is torn between the above three engineering courses

Which one do you recommend and why?
Ngogoyo
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:08:20 PM

@ Guest (2), Musimo,quicksand

say something

Kuja hapa @impunity
Musimo
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:16:25 PM

Ngogoyo wrote:
Hi wazuans

My brother scored a straight A. We are trying to ensure he gets the best course to ensure he either gets a good job or employs himself (and creates job opportunities for others)

I personally did civil engineering,first and foremost because I was fascinated by how roads are built,who decides which column goes where,why arent dams carried away by the water they impound,and until today I am still fascinated.Civil engineering covers roads,water,structures,public health engineering.
Architecture is just that, architecture. It ranges from architectural design of buildings to landscaping to planning of towns,cities,etc.
Someone somewhere will chip in with telecommunications engineering.
My exposure in the civil engineering field post-graduation was a shocker. I expected employers to line up at graduation with employment letters, yet I took a year plus to be employed. What kept me true to the field is the passion I had before,otherwise I would have changed fields quite easily and went into business or something. Let him make up his mind on his own,knowing he will be alone in studying,exams and post-graduation job search.
My two cents
sitaki.kujulikana
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:43:11 PM

hapa kenya hata real daktari's are not assured of jobs, let them do what they feel they wil enjoy and if you have to help him select, check where most of your family members and friends are into, and let him go into similar fields at least at the end of the course he will be able to have connections to get him started.

my 2 cents, if his straight A was achieved cha ukweli, that is he is a bright hap, let him go into IT, software kiasi and then look more into artificial inteligene as a specialty maybe a masters after the degree then come back and thank me after 4 years
urstill1
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:11:26 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
hapa kenya hata real daktari's are not assured of jobs, let them do what they feel they wil enjoy and if you have to help him select, check where most of your family members and friends are into, and let him go into similar fields at least at the end of the course he will be able to have connections to get him started.

my 2 cents, if his straight A was achieved cha ukweli, that is he is a bright hap, let him go into IT, software kiasi and then look more into artificial inteligene as a specialty maybe a masters after the degree then come back and thank me after 4 years

AI, machine learning and data science are very interesting fields that I believe intersects each other. That said, hapa Kenya itabidii ajipatie kazi(self employment). That requires someone that is persistent and not ready to reward himself on small gains.
Ngogoyo
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:18:07 PM

Thanks @Musimo and @SK.

He wanted civil but now he is torn. Final decision of course is his and all these are quite good courses.
Pirate
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:17:46 PM

Musimo wrote:
Ngogoyo wrote:
Hi wazuans

I personally did civil engineering,first and foremost because I was fascinated by how roads are built,who decides which column goes where,why arent dams carried away by the water they impound,and until today I am still fascinated.Civil engineering covers roads,water,structures,public health engineering.
Architecture is just that, architecture. It ranges from architectural design of buildings to landscaping to planning of towns,cities,etc.
Someone somewhere will chip in with telecommunications engineering.
My exposure in the civil engineering field post-graduation was a shocker. I expected employers to line up at graduation with employment letters, yet I took a year plus to be employed. What kept me true to the field is the passion I had before,otherwise I would have changed fields quite easily and went into business or something. Let him make up his mind on his own,knowing he will be alone in studying,exams and post-graduation job search.
My two cents

I'm a telecoms professional for the past 10yrs+ but with a Civil Engineering degree.Civil Engineering helped build up critical thinking , detailed analysis and opens up your mind to a wide array of industries from telecoms ,water , structures,environment etc . However I was focused into getting into telecoms while studying my civil degree because of my passion for technology.I found it a dynamic, engaging and exciting career .
What I'm I saying . Let the young man follow passion , what he is good at by engaging with ppl who are already in these industries and see where his strengths lie . As for self- employment ,I have 4 friends who are contractors with no civil eng. background. They employ the civil engineers to do their work smile
Anthony Wahome,major telecoms vendor ,has an accounting background smile
V
Knowledge is power , but action gets things done ...
merkava
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 8:11:23 AM

I studied civil engineering too and with plus 7 yrs or so of experience and am loving it. Its rewarding no doubt but i would advice you to help the young man to consider adding engineering surveying too as he ponders on his next move. This involves use of machines such as total stations and of recent i have seen RTks.They are used in precision setting out works. Thats my 2 cents and i wish him all the best
Barikiwa tufanane
Ngogoyo
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:56:40 AM

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Will let you know what his heart finally settles on. I can see he will have some mentors from this republic.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:46:44 PM

Having graduated 3 years ago, i would ask the guy to make his decisions wisely. First, having a degree in engineering will not necessarily make you rich or wealthy. Mwambie afanye pharmacy!!
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
kawambui
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2016 5:10:29 PM

Let him follow his passion but if he has not identified it yet, let him do either civil or telecommunications passionately. Architecture demands talent and passion not just grades.
I did telecommunications and for the 2 years I've out here it's not been soo bad though I'm doing more of IT than telecoms.
Lakini kama ni pesa, he might as well do anything, I work with guys I was in high school with who did business related courses and they earn more than I do. By the time nimalize shule they'd already worked for an year or so.
Proverbs 4:23
[23]Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
gilbert sosi
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:30:50 AM

if the the intention is to get employed let him go abroad where excellence is rewarded. in kenya nothing is assured
guard
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:33:15 PM

The engineering field is very tricky in the country and to succeed just like said earlier one has to be very passionate .In Kenya,Jobs are few and competition is extremely high almost suicidal.Ladies have more opportunities and I would advice more ladies to pursue engineering courses in Kenya.But for young Men,you must be prepared to really hustle post graduation.I did telecommunication engineering.went for almost 6 years without any meaningful employment.My breakthrough came when I did a diploma course in airline ticketing..So if he chooses engineering let him be prepared to go the extra mile.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
Ryko
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:41:31 PM

If i was given another chance i would have done Engineering but i would NOT have done it for 5 damn years.......

Thank God, i started with a 6 figure salary but i quit to do my businesses now i wish i began my businesses way earlier... the 5 years were a waste

Engineering only gave me the ability to thrive on any "technical Niche" sadly anyone with determination can do it even with a Business degree.

The key thing is not EMPLOYMENT..... the key thing is "he employs himself" as Gilbert puts it apa ni Kenya

I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
EngineerLMG
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 09, 2016 4:29:28 PM

He could do any of the courses for one year; get a feel of what it's like, etc.
In the 2nd year, if he feels something else is better, he could switch courses.

There's usually a deadline, though.

Also, let him know that only 64% of people who enroll for the course graduate when they're supposed to. In short, si mchezo.