wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages«<234
Fuel tank logic
Impunity
#61 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:27:42 PM

simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:
Wololo...I jumped on to this looking forward to an answer to questions I always av in mind. But now am more confused than before. Sasa nani anasema ukweli d'oh! d'oh! Hata yangu ni 2000cc and I av been experiencing CLK's "problem". Eg I would fill the tank when going shags, uphill to Nyeri, get home when its not even half tank, do some rounds...my trip back, esp if I start it when the fuel is below half, will require I top up immediately I get back to town or somewhere around Thika road. This baffles me coz ideally it shud consume more uphill to Nyeri than on the way back. Maybe the gauge is not a very accurate way, that is my conclusion.

I av also wondered about about the neutral thing. Does it really save fuel? Experience tends to show me it doesnt...or if any, the saving is negligible.

I have a near-bad experience with neutral though. One day I was driving my older car, an NZE, along Langata Road when I was younger. I was running low on fuel and since there was jam I thought I could save on the neutral thing. Then ujinga kidogo ikaniingia. Now that if your engine is off u save more, I switched off and the jam opened(we started moving). I decided to continue with the neutral without switching on. Ujinga mingi sana...About 30 seconds after releasing the hand brake, the breaks were "dead", the car started moving faster and I was losing control completely. I immediately directed the car to the side to avoid hitting the car ahead. Nikapanda juu ya pavement...was already panicking. I engaged the hand break but it didnt stop immediately. There was a stone ahead and I "pimad" one of the wheel to hit it and that way it stopped. I had learnt my lesson on the road and I no longer want the car in motion when on neutral.

Mimi niko na hii tabia ya free wheeling. I once free wheeled an old premio on a steep slope with corners kule Embu. Gari zimika! Hiyo steering afadhali mawe ya mjengo. Makueni flashed right infront of my eyes but I controlled the car n the EMERGENCY Brake as Americans call it saved the day.

Which begs an important question, why didn't the engine restart when I reverted to D?

For Toyotas you can only re-start the car when the gear lever is at N or P...and not any other position.

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

simonkabz
#62 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:48:42 PM

Impunity wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:
Wololo...I jumped on to this looking forward to an answer to questions I always av in mind. But now am more confused than before. Sasa nani anasema ukweli d'oh! d'oh! Hata yangu ni 2000cc and I av been experiencing CLK's "problem". Eg I would fill the tank when going shags, uphill to Nyeri, get home when its not even half tank, do some rounds...my trip back, esp if I start it when the fuel is below half, will require I top up immediately I get back to town or somewhere around Thika road. This baffles me coz ideally it shud consume more uphill to Nyeri than on the way back. Maybe the gauge is not a very accurate way, that is my conclusion.

I av also wondered about about the neutral thing. Does it really save fuel? Experience tends to show me it doesnt...or if any, the saving is negligible.

I have a near-bad experience with neutral though. One day I was driving my older car, an NZE, along Langata Road when I was younger. I was running low on fuel and since there was jam I thought I could save on the neutral thing. Then ujinga kidogo ikaniingia. Now that if your engine is off u save more, I switched off and the jam opened(we started moving). I decided to continue with the neutral without switching on. Ujinga mingi sana...About 30 seconds after releasing the hand brake, the breaks were "dead", the car started moving faster and I was losing control completely. I immediately directed the car to the side to avoid hitting the car ahead. Nikapanda juu ya pavement...was already panicking. I engaged the hand break but it didnt stop immediately. There was a stone ahead and I "pimad" one of the wheel to hit it and that way it stopped. I had learnt my lesson on the road and I no longer want the car in motion when on neutral.

Mimi niko na hii tabia ya free wheeling. I once free wheeled an old premio on a steep slope with corners kule Embu. Gari zimika! Hiyo steering afadhali mawe ya mjengo. Makueni flashed right infront of my eyes but I controlled the car n the EMERGENCY Brake as Americans call it saved the day.

Which begs an important question, why didn't the engine restart when I reverted to D?

For Toyotas you can only re-start the car when the gear lever is at N or P...and not any other position.

Wewe hujanielewa. For a manual car you can jump start with the gear. Can the same be done on an auto by engaging D while running??
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
sparkly
#63 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:18:23 PM

simonkabz wrote:
Impunity wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:

Wewe hujanielewa. For a manual car you can jump start with the gear. Can the same be done on an auto by engaging D while running??

Boss you cant jumpstart an auto by Kinetic. For a start there is no "clutch".
Life is short. Live passionately.
tuvok
#64 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:23:11 PM

Impunity wrote:
tuvok wrote:
Siringi wrote:
Most cars around promise mile ages of 15 to 20 km per liter highway. Now assuming a 60ltr fuel tank this would mean at least 900-1200km on a single full tank meaning Nrb msa and back or kisumu Mombasa with something left in the tank
Discuss from experience.

when this 2L D4 vvti was younger it once did nearly 16 km/l to Msa

Wacha until the time those ma-sensors wil start seeing ma dim dim its when utajua D4 ni nini!

Speaking from experience ama from the grapevine?

You do know that most modern cars have tons of sensors... Additionally many modern cars are now Direct Injection.

6 years on, I've only had to change one sensor, and that was maybe 4 years ago. Just need to know where (not) to service it. Kama those guys that go experimenting with plugs...

If I was to buy another Toyota saloon it would probably have a similar engine... ( e.g. the D4-S 2.5 and 3.0 V6 on the Lexus IS250, mark-X, royal crown etc) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

Anyway - just my experience and choices.
sparkly
#65 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:34:12 PM

Impunity wrote:
washiku wrote:

Am glad ujinga ilikutoroka!
The break pump is dead when engine id off and thus yu will need a massive foot power to apply the breaks effectively, handbrake is nothing for a moving car!

lmaoest this reminds me of when i was a young and in-experienced driver. I was parking on a slope and the engine went off. Car started rolling downwards ... I still remember the SHOCK to my system as the more i stepped on the brakes, the harder they became. I was stopped by the pavement and got a scratched bumper for my struggles.
simonkabz
#66 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:45:20 PM

sparkly wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
Impunity wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:

Very good. Now we are together. .Kindly explain to me what exactly happens when you do that.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
Impunity
#67 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:19:58 AM

sparkly wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
Impunity wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:

Furthermore hakuna hiyo gear iko indicated D in a a manual car, not unless the car is the type manufactured at KVM Thika.

Do we have a manual car with a gear point label D?
d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Impunity
#68 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:30:23 AM

simonkabz wrote:
sparkly wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
Impunity wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:

Very good. Now we are together. .Kindly explain to me what exactly happens when you do that.

Automatic drives have something called Torque converter, this is an hydraulic clutch! It has turbine vanes and guides which can only allow motion in one direction; so the design is that it can only allow motion from the engine to the gearbox and not vice versa...so there was no way you could restart the car by kinetic energy by engaging the gear to D...that was a futile attempt.

I have explained the Auto-shift in the most layman language, if you cant grasp it then please just drive and forget what happens in the bonnet.

Lucius
#69 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2016 7:06:18 AM

Fuel gauge calibration is not linear. You are at half tank somewhere between the 1/2 and 3/4 marks
radio
#70 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2016 10:45:46 AM

Lucius wrote:
Fuel gauge calibration is not linear. You are at half tank somewhere between the 1/2 and 3/4 marks

It's no wonder they give such great margins of error...like empty tank but with fuel that can do 30-40km.
hardwood
#71 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2016 10:51:22 AM

limanika wrote:
@CLK, Interesting responses, do not just look at consumption…When filling the tank from empty to half, how much do you spend and compare this to how much you spend when filling from half to full? Answer that and also read https://autos.aol.com/article/gas-gauge/ then we talk…

That article explains everything, that the fuel guage is only a rough guide on the amount of fuel in the tank, and that it is "rigged" to say different things depending on the volume of fuel in that tank, all with the aim of making the driver(consumer) feel good about his or her car's fuel consumption.

Also, I think that as long as the engine burns the fuel at a certain rate, eg doing 15km/l which is about 7l/100km, and the rate is not related to the volume in the tank, it doesn't really matter whether your tank if full, half or nearly empty, or whether you refill at half or empty. The car will still burn the fuel at the same rate.
hardwood
#72 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2016 11:05:45 AM

Impunity wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
sparkly wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
Impunity wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:

Automatic drives have something called Torque converter, this is an hydraulic clutch! It has turbine vanes and guides which can only allow motion in one direction; so the design is that it can only allow motion from the engine to the gearbox and not vice versa...so there was no way you could restart the car by kinetic energy by engaging the gear to D...that was a futile attempt.

I have explained the Auto-shift in the most layman language, if you cant grasp it then please just drive and forget what happens in the bonnet.

I think the driving school curriculum should be reviewed so that students are taught about the workings and operations of automatic cars since they comprise the majority of cars on our roads today.

Also, I have always wondered why i normally see lots of relatively new cars being towed back to the city with damage that appears like they just went off the road and ended up in "shambas". The accidents could be caused by drivers switching off the automatic cars (to free wheel and on save fuel) without knowing it will make the cars uncontrollable.
tom_boy
#73 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2016 10:32:26 PM

Punda Mlia wrote:
Siringi wrote:
Agreed try This Fuel Full tank ile mpaka imwagike. Drive Nairobi Mombasa or Kisumu and Vice Versa.

My Experience. 1st leg you arrive with 1/2 tank 350Kms - Oksum citi or 500Kms MSA/Nrb

on return leg dont add fuel... Tank ampty after 200-250kms

my experience is with the car infront... siyui hiyzo zigine

Take note of the space between floater (linked to fuel gauge and upper roof of the tank). The fuel stored there ndio hutudanganya. By the time you hit half tank, actually you have consumed 1/2 + ile space iko juu ya floater. I know some of you hupandisha one tyre kwa ramp to accommodate more fuel.

@Punda, hapo uko na point. The car manufacturer never intended for us to fill the tank to the brim. When I calculate from F point upto the middle, I get 300 km approx. , and from the middle to when the light goes on is approx 200km, leaving me with about 100km of reserve tank.

I believe same logic applies even when the read out is km of fuel remaining.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
faa
#74 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:22:59 AM

interesting and i think its true, from Nairobi to Gilgil the fuel gauge shows F, from gilgil to Nyahuru inafika 3/4.

from nyahururu to nairobi iko 1/4, this shows that from nairobi to nyahururu the vehicle consumes 1/4 but when back from nyahururu to nairobi the vehicles guzzles 1/2
Saitan!
sparkly
#75 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:45:00 AM

faa wrote:
interesting and i think its true, from Nairobi to Gilgil the fuel gauge shows F, from gilgil to Nyahuru inafika 3/4.

from nyahururu to nairobi iko 1/4, this shows that from nairobi to nyahururu the vehicle consumes 1/4 but when back from nyahururu to nairobi the vehicles guzzles 1/2
Saitan!

fuel gauge is designed to make you happy

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/14/gas-gauge/
Impunity
#76 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:16:24 AM

sparkly wrote:
faa wrote:

Saitan!

fuel gauge is designed to make you happy

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/14/gas-gauge/

Ata zile digital meters mimi huona kwa screens za Mark X, ISIS etal are all estimates and not exactly what they display.