wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages«<111213
Insurance Counters at NSE - Valuation & recommendation
Cde Monomotapa
#241 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2015 11:28:43 AM

@Ericsson we see you're well versed in insurance. What's your take on this proposed policy shift?

Quote:
IRA has recommended introducing new investment guidelines for insurance companies which will give them freedom in how they invest excess premiums.

The current regime is considered rigid as it dictates the proportion of the portfolio they are to put in each asset class.

http://www.businessdaily.../0/-/xoipu6/-/index.html
Ericsson
#242 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 9:38:54 AM

@Cde Monomotapa
I am not sure whether insurance companies have limits on proportion they are to put in each asset class.That's why Britam has about 20% of its assets in Equity Bank stake they own.
Pension schemes are the ones I know have the limits in each asset class.

Anyway what I predict to be changed is the new investment guidelines will not put a cap of 30% on real estate and quoted equities.This is to enable them mazimise on returns when the market experiences a bull run
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Cde Monomotapa
#243 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 1:48:14 PM

Ericsson wrote:
@Cde Monomotapa
I am not sure whether insurance companies have limits on proportion they are to put in each asset class.That's why Britam has about 20% of its assets in Equity Bank stake they own.
Pension schemes are the ones I know have the limits in each asset class.

Anyway what I predict to be changed is the new investment guidelines will not put a cap of 30% on real estate and quoted equities.This is to enable them mazimise on returns when the market experiences a bull run

Ok, so we should see more flexibity. I personally never liked the idea of caps and a lot of oppurtunuties are missed like in private equity.

I like that there will be more liquidity and insurers can be more aggressive and creative with their funds. As it is now it is passive and lazy. Like buy blue chips and call self a CIO then make me 10% pa! No.

Thanks. Let's see.
Ericsson
#244 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 11:04:15 AM

Following are the insurance companies which I see becoming dominant;
--Jubilee Insurance/holdings
--ICEA Lion Insurance Group
--CIC Group

Britam and UAP facing serious issues which will see the above three taking up the opportunity of the gap left.
murchr
#245 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 12:25:20 AM

Kenyan insurance firms seeking mergers to comply with new capital requirements are ready to accept even less than two times their net-worth or book value, UK and Kenyan investment banks say.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#246 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:14:20 AM

Jubilee might be an acquirer of some of the smaller firms but does it need to acquire the business these firms write?

Other listed firms that have heft to acquire others are Liberty and Pan African Insurance.

Where does CIC fall?

Some of the small firms may be taken over by other large "private" insurers like Apollo and Resolution. Or 2-3 can merge to meet the requirements.

I don't think the capitalization issue is a game-changer for the Kenyan insurance industry. I do want more competition rather than less. Look at banking where the top 5 control 70% of the deposits.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
mlennyma
#247 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:55:09 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Jubilee might be an acquirer of some of the smaller firms but does it need to acquire the business these firms write?

Other listed firms that have heft to acquire others are Liberty and Pan African Insurance.

Where does CIC fall?

Some of the small firms may be taken over by other large "private" insurers like Apollo and Resolution. Or 2-3 can merge to meet the requirements.

I don't think the capitalization issue is a game-changer for the Kenyan insurance industry. I do want more competition rather than less. Look at banking where the top 5 control 70% of the deposits.

doesn't cic enjoy some comfort and protection from co-op bank in such capital requirements?
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Ericsson
#248 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:44:43 AM

Where did the ksh.5bn CIC raised via corporate bond go/what was it used for?
mkate_nusu
#249 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:50:51 AM

mlennyma wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Where does CIC fall?

doesn't cic enjoy some comfort and protection from co-op bank in such capital requirements?

Co-op is in problems of its own. That's like asking ea cables to bail out the mother TCL
KEGN, KPLC, KQ, SCOM
mkate_nusu
#250 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:43:26 PM

Metasploit wrote:
Clearly CFCI has no weaklings! I like the way the sellers have always been in control

KEGN, KPLC, KQ, SCOM
Ericsson
#251 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2017 1:36:45 PM

Policyholders of collapsed insurance firms in the country will now get maximum compensation of Sh250,000 in legal changes announced by the Policyholder Compensation Fund (PCF).

The amount is an increase of Sh150,000 from the Sh100,000 that PCF was by law obligated to pay in the event that an insurance company is declared insolvent.

http://www.businessdaily...tem-1-o0vw3yz/index.html