wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<567
Church leaders: Go to hell!!!
poundfoolish
#121 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:15:45 PM

Ahh!
@Fundah

The article by Ngaitho.... exactly what id mentioned here some time back..

Fundah...are you Ngaitho?
Brewer
#122 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:04:05 PM

Gaitho's article about Kenya becoming landlocked is far-fetched and imagines the worst.

a)It is based on the simple assumption that rejecting this draft is the same as rejecting the kadhi's courts.If No wins, it means we go back to the current situation and begin another constitutional process that recognises the issue as a contentious issue and have it renegotiated. If it could be negotiated by the colonists in the 60s, it can be renegotiated by the present Kenyan generation. I suspect the CoE's position was that it is too contentious- read sensitive- to be negotiated, my thinking being that this is based on fear rather than reason. I imagine that it can only get more contentious in future- project 50 years from now- there will probably be more atheists who will not understand why they would have to fund a religious outfit and will think the generation of 2010 had got it wrong to imagine the courts are a judicial as opposed to a religious outfit.

b) Macharia Gaitho comments are based on the assumption that it will be in the interest of the coast region to break away from mainland Kenya and join... was it Tanzania? I imagine it is a decision the coast region would not make lightly and would essentially be based on the strategic interests especially seeing we are integrating as East Africans. Do we, for instance, think we are doing Uganda, a landlocked country, a favour by providing a transit point for their goods? Wasn't there a thread in Wazua on our loss of deal for rail connection to Juba? I think we should imagine and craft a world of tolerance and strategic interests rather than a '.. its this or else...' world

c) Does someone have the current demographic figures for the 10 mile coastal strip? I guess the bigger number of consumers of kadhi courts are in mainland as opposed to coast and that the 10 mile coastal strip is now in terms of population quite different from the situation in the 60s. A modern solution is called to the obviously contentious issue.
poundfoolish
#123 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:01:54 AM

Brewer

Arent the Church's arguments of a Sharia law, Muslim take over, also far fetched.. arent they a 100yrs to come, plan..or is it 50 yrs from now?

lets not forget.. the rest e.g Indians Arabs, somalis, etc came with businesses and pirate money and et cetera to ask for a place(read Land) to do their thing...
The Swahilis & Arab families didnt want anything.. just their 'place' to live their lives and do their things.

Otherwise ask your self why the problem of absentee landlords has never been solved..
meddle with that land and you will know who the AlGhabis, the Swaleh Ngurus, the Mazruis, the TSS's are?

kila kitu ina wenyewe.. and thats why the kenyan political class is silent.
Brewer
#124 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:24:16 AM

Poundfoolish, which Church is arguing about a muslim, sharia law takeover?- certainly not the catholics, not the NCCK. The argument basically about treating all religions equally and keeping religion and state separate are not small issues. They are real and present. I have no time for the fundamentalist view of a muslim take over, far-fetched or not, because it is based on fear rather than reason.

As to the situation at the coast, land and all.. whoever owns the land is thinking in the present about the strategic interest in belonging to a country called Kenya and I doubt his chief consideration will be whether Kadhi's courts ARE ENTRENCHED IN THE CONSTITUTION AND FUNDED BY THE STATE because that is the present issue.
Brewer
#125 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:01:45 AM

This makes for enlightening reading:

http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/pxb0omz/-/index.html
Fundaah
#126 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:19:02 AM

"In reality, with medical advances of technology, such cases of abortion needed to save the mother’s life hardly ever occur. Indeed, numerous authorities have affirmed that with today’s medicine, no unborn child ever need be killed for the mother to survive."

Brewer which country is this writer taking about?....
Remember I said earlier we do not have adequate doctors ...we have shortage of Medicine in Public hospitals....In February 2010...Kenyatta hospital didnt have syringes...(sindanos)....which technology is the writer talking about that is widely in Kenya to avoid the daily occurances of miscarriages .....

The article is just full of lies and very unconvincing

Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
Intelligentsia
#127 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:30:45 AM

In reality, with medical advances of technology, such cases of abortion needed to save the mother’s life hardly ever occur. Indeed, numerous authorities have affirmed that with today’s medicine, no unborn child ever need be killed for the mother to survive."

[/quote]

I agree Fundaah
Brewer, so what happens in the case of ectopic pregnancy which are not viable will kill the mother?
Brewer
#128 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:04:05 AM

We would help to talk about the draft, where the contention is simple and the writer cannot be clearer:

THE DRAFT EXTENDS ABORTION WAY BEYOND THE "THREAT TO LIFE OF MOTHER"

Any other argument is, in my view, diversionary from the issue and the clear reading of the draft.
Fundaah
#129 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:34:44 AM

Brewer wrote:
Any other argument is, in my view, diversionary from the issue and the clear reading of the draft.

Let me use the writers excerpts then....

'Currently, the proposed constitution merely provides in section 71 that every person has the right to life, without defining when life begins or ends.'

My answer
Christians and Muslims and other religions do not have same understanding of when life begins.....constitution is secular not religious ....we have to accommodated each other...

'In the proposed constitution, the individual and unsupervised health professional has been elevated to the status of a full Court of Appeal bench and can now dispense death to legal persons'.

A blatant lie
Remember the penal code will not be abolished on the coming of the new constitution....

The penal code says:

158. Any person who, with intent to procure miscarriage of a woman, whether she is or is not with child, unlawfully administers to her or causes her to take any poison or other noxious thing, or uses any force of any kind, or uses any other means whatever, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.

This penal section will be used to deal with anyone who intentionally wants to kill the unborn when the life and health of a mother is not in danger......

The section is consistent with the Drafts section on right to life...

Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
poundfoolish
#130 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:43:11 AM

Honestly i think Njoki Ndung'u had something to do with the wordings on that abortion clause...?

its a blank cheque.. and just as it is raising issues now it will raise issues later..
but the law is left in its interpretation..

but im still voting yes.. as of now
haiyaa
#131 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:55:25 AM

The ideal situation is that this section should have been left to an act of parliament .It is still well covered.No constitution is 100% perfect.

I'm for YES.what we need now is political stability , less corruption and economic empowerment.The other issues can be dealt with as they come

Brewer
#132 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:09:24 PM

Poundfoolish, your frankness is disarming. You share the views of many who acknowledge that the clause is bad, but 'DAMN IT, WE NEED A NEW CONSTITUTION!' Others further say, its bad but we will change it later. Quite legitimate positions, I belief.

Give a thought to those who believe the issue touches the core of humanity: LIFE, cannot get it wrong and move on with others; and the provisions in the draft are too wide as to allow abortion by demand; that once passed altering the constitution will be an almost impossible exercise.
Fundaah
#133 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:22:55 PM

Brewer wrote:
and the provisions in the draft are too wide as to allow abortion by demand; that once passed altering the constitution will be an almost impossible exercise.

@ brewer

What do you have to say of the penal code...

The penal code says:

158. Any person who, with intent to procure miscarriage of a woman, whether she is or is not with child, unlawfully administers to her or causes her to take any poison or other noxious thing, or uses any force of any kind, or uses any other means whatever, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.

wont the penal code deal with 'abortion on demand?'

And why do you insist that altering the law will be almost impossible ?.....Is gathering 2 thirds majority hard for a popular cause?

Outrightly legalising abortion ...... on demand without danger to the life and health of the woman will be strongly objected by all including me....

ask anyone opposing the draft on that basis to come for my signature...even before the referendum.....
Brewer
#134 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:58:26 PM

Fundaah, I am aware we are making the constitution, the fundamental law, that supersedes any other law, including the penal code. Once enacted all law must bow to it, however tall it may be, and the situation here is we have a constitution that is lower in standards and values than the penal code and you can imagine the penal code bending to it until it breaks its back. We are making the constitution, aren't we?
Obi 1 Kanobi
#135 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:48:25 PM

I will be voting a very strong yes!!!

It could really help everyone if we concentrated on the significant changes for good that the draft constitution has over the current outdated blood sucking constitution. Have the No advocates read the entire constitution?

What is worrying about the No proponents including the church is that they are fully aware that the constitution making process cannot be stopped. All this nonsense about amending the law is just a diversion tactic. To argue against the new constitution is to simply call for its rejection.

I am confident Kenyans have suffered enough and will not let this opportunity slip away.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins