10 Pages«<8910
Kikuyus, Please Come (Here)
Mtafiti
#181 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:10:43 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Mtafiti wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
what is hako

Fafanua. Which hako? Like "hako ka mtu" or "uuki wa hako", "ngoima ya hako" or in what context?

I am sure its not hako ka mtu smile
a guy I know told me they went into the forest for hako, he seemed very passionate and said after that he is now a respected mzee.

Traditionalists slaughter this for men as a precursor of mburi ya kiama. Hako in this context is 'kuhaka' meaning you are appeasing (kwihakanirira, kuhakanirirwo) for some recognition. Hapo sawa?
sitaki.kujulikana
#182 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:48:20 PM

Mtafiti wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Mtafiti wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
what is hako

Fafanua. Which hako? Like "hako ka mtu" or "uuki wa hako", "ngoima ya hako" or in what context?

I am sure its not hako ka mtu smile
a guy I know told me they went into the forest for hako, he seemed very passionate and said after that he is now a respected mzee.

Traditionalists slaughter this for men as a precursor of mburi ya kiama. Hako in this context is 'kuhaka' meaning you are appeasing (kwihakanirira, kuhakanirirwo) for some recognition. Hapo sawa?

so after that he will have to go back and do kiama, but what I didn't get was the importance placed, and I was told that not many men get to do that, I am sure most people can afford a goat, lakini thank nimepata kusoma hapo.
Mtafiti
#183 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 12:28:01 PM

Thereafter comes 'iringa'. And terms like mateere mairu na meeru'
murchr
#184 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:13:00 PM

Just learnt that in the Shambala language -TZ, "Nyokwe" means "your mother" - Alas!
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Thitifini
#185 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:34:19 PM

Kindly someone enlighten me which generation we are in.....I only read about iregi, mathaathi and ndemi.

Also, I've read quite a bit about Ituíka, but found no literature or knowledge post 1900's. Anyone with information?

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
Tokyo
#186 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:46:18 AM

Thitifini wrote:
Kindly someone enlighten me which generation we are in.....I only read about iregi, mathaathi and ndemi.

Also, I've read quite a bit about Ituíka, but found no literature or knowledge post 1900's. Anyone with information?

Mûigai
work to prosper
Lolest!
#187 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:33:27 AM

Thitifini wrote:

According to mzee Jomo, the ituika thing was brought to an end by the Brits
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
gk
#188 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:28:46 AM

Is Hutu's "Interehamwe "= Kikuyu's "ita ri hamwe"...i.e fighters or fighting together
Lolest!
#189 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:12:10 AM

gk wrote:
Is Hutu's "Interehamwe "= Kikuyu's "ita ri hamwe"...i.e fighters or fighting together

Yes. A united team of fighters
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Impunity
#190 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:58:08 AM

Lolest! wrote:
gk wrote:

This finally confirms that Kikuyus migrated from the Congo forest and passed through Rwanda where some of their relative bantus are the Hutus.
What did @Junet said again?

d'oh!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Rahatupu
#191 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:09:49 PM

@sitakikujulikana mburi ya hako was given to wazee by a man for his son to be accepted in the council when he is ready to give his mbuzi. During the ceremony his "maringa" are declared by giving ruchuthe and rua to known members of the council of elders who are not related to him but maybe of the same rika.
sitaki.kujulikana
#192 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:58:05 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
@sitakikujulikana mburi ya hako was given to wazee by a man for his son to be accepted in the council when he is ready to give his mbuzi. During the ceremony his "maringa" are declared by giving ruchuthe and rua to known members of the council of elders who are not related to him but maybe of the same rika.

thanks for the info, interesting, but my friend is the one who bought the goat, the wife was also required to be presented, and she was not allowed to have locks she had to shave the same.
Just found the whole thing interesting, especially in this day and age, shida yangu kuishi kwa middo crass gated estates, I thought mbuzi is ony found huko kafuooo smile
Mtafiti
#193 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 6:28:48 PM

A good thread worth spending time on. I learn a lot.
mv_ufanisi
#194 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2021 6:27:08 PM

Impunity wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
gk wrote:

This finally confirms that Kikuyus migrated from the Congo forest and passed through Rwanda where some of their relative bantus are the Hutus.
What did @Junet said again?

d'oh!

Kikuyus speak a bantu language just like Hutus but have different DNA.

You can easily tell that by looking at DNA profiles. Most Kikuyus have substantial Maasai/Ethiopian/Cushitic DNA and therefore have different physical traits and tend to cluster closer to the Hima of Uganda in DNA.

But there is quite a curious amount of similarity between Kikuyu and Kinyarwanda.
simonkabz
#195 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 10:31:35 PM

Fred K Kago did us a good one and left us out in the wilderness. I don't blame him much, he did his best, but his works are a major reason written Gikuyu is so misleading, and seriously flawed. Sounds like Nj, Mb, Nd, Ng don't even exist in the spoken word. It is Jeri, not Njeri; Wajiku, not Wanjiku; Joroge, not Njoroge; Ding'uri, not Nding'uri; Wabura not Wambura; Wajiru not Wanjiru etc. Let me not even start with the 'b' for 'f', 'ch' for 'c/s'.....For instance, there's no name like 'Chege', or even 'Kabogo', or 'Kabiru'.....kutututipanisha kabisa. It's no wonder the Gikuyu have serious matamuchi issues to date, they cant even pronounce their 'written' versions of their names properly when expressing themselves in other languages, as the written names suddenly change to other pronounciations.

I don't think there's an African language whose written form was as mutilated and massacred as the Gikuyu in the written form. Many names hence have two pronunciations, the Gikuyu version and the Swahili/English version.

In fact, the urban youth in my opinion write gikuyu better than our academic versions. They write the sounds exactly as they hear them. Problem is that the flawed names have been normalized and there might be no going back. I have however seen bold ones spelling their names as they should sound.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
radiomast
#196 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 8:26:30 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:

Kikuyus speak a bantu language just like Hutus but have different DNA.

You can easily tell that by looking at DNA profiles. Most Kikuyus have substantial Maasai/Ethiopian/Cushitic DNA and therefore have different physical traits and tend to cluster closer to the Hima of Uganda in DNA.

But there is quite a curious amount of similarity between Kikuyu and Kinyarwanda.

Also many Rwandese have Kikuyu names or Kikuyu sounding names like Karuga, Kabuga, Gatera, Gatete etc.

The reason their DNA is different is because the two groups have been split for perhaps 1000 years during which Kikuyu people intermixed with other groups. There is a theory that says that when Agikuyu arrived in central province around 1300 AD, the original occupants of the area were a cushitic group who were then absorbed by the newly arrived Agikuyu. One author theorized that the name "Thagicu" originally referred to these cushites.

Seems plausible. No tribe is homogenous. In the past, mass migrations caused tribes to intermix with others and create a new people with a different language that is a hybrid of the two.