wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

My fundis' outrageous quotation to re do mum's govt hse
Pat87
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:11:36 PM

Please advice,i have got a crazy looking quotation and the first thing i thought was,what do wazuans think??
Here we go
labour cost 36% of material cost.
VAT at 16%
28 boxes of floor tiles 300mm*300mm kshs54900
polyfilla(ceiling boards)10kgs kshs21000
ceiling boards Kshs8400
cornice 220ft 30mts Kshs6450
pinotex 4ltrs*2 5600[b]
cement 10 bags Kshs10500
sand 7tonnes 8000
roofing tiles 100pcs*60 kshs6000
polythene heavy gauge(50*180) kshs9000
cover mat bucket(undercoat) 20litres kshs6500
paints 40litres kshs18400
Rem.this is an old govt 3 bedroom hse that i wanna re do for my mum,its not a permanent personal house or anything!so nothing fancy.this budget sounds wayyy to fancy.nkt.
Back to the drawing board,kutafuta someone who can fix that house.floors,roof,ceiling,windows,bathrooms,paintwork,i feel exhausted already.

“An asset is something that puts money in my pocket. A liability is something that takes money out of my pocket.”
― Robert T. Kiyosaki, Rich Dad, Poor Dad
kayhara
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:50:41 AM

Unless he is a class 1 contractor tell him his markuo is 30%, and surely a bag of cement is 550-700 not 1,050/-
To Each His Own
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:58:25 AM

is he the only fundi around ?
Musimo
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:35:58 AM

Pat87 wrote:
Please advice,i have got a crazy looking quotation and the first thing i thought was,what do wazuans think??
Here we go
VAT at 16%
ceiling boards Kshs8400
pinotex 4ltrs*2 5600[b]
cement 10 bags Kshs10500
sand 7tonnes 8000
Rem.this is an old govt 3 bedroom hse that i wanna re do for my mum,its not a permanent personal house or anything!so nothing fancy.this budget sounds wayyy to fancy.nkt.
Back to the drawing board,kutafuta someone who can fix that house.floors,roof,ceiling,windows,bathrooms,paintwork,i feel exhausted already.

Buy the materials, niombe msaada ya kutayarishsa the quote.
enyands
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:42:18 AM

Pat87 wrote:
Here we go
VAT at 16%
ceiling boards Kshs8400
pinotex 4ltrs*2 5600[b]
cement 10 bags Kshs10500
sand 7tonnes 8000

Cement is 800. His math is 10500/10 = 1050 a bag!!!!! That's a red flag about his personality .haya transportation can't be 250 a bag . Unagongwa jamaa. I think you are in diaspora that's why you are taken advantage of. Go there and do it yourself .don't trust people that much
lexx
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:39:13 AM

Where is the project..
I am a small contractor, I may be of help by offering you a very reasonable quote.

info@urbaneprojects.co.ke
The Great
#7 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2016 2:05:37 PM

Contractors also exerggerate the quantities. I had one attempt to replace a ceiling that was perfectly okay.
"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."
UpcomingPaperChaser
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2016 10:21:37 PM

inbox mdswissholdings@gmail.com
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
willin2learn
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:21:53 PM

Pole bro. To what extent is a tenant allowed to do refurbishment/variations in government houses?

Pat87
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:41:01 PM

willin2learn wrote:
Pole bro. To what extent is a tenant allowed to do refurbishment/variations in government houses?

as long as its just soft renovations(finishings),nothing like change of structure or anything.
“An asset is something that puts money in my pocket. A liability is something that takes money out of my pocket.”
Obi 1 Kanobi
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 5:31:55 PM

Materials for Sh 150K to repair a 3 bedroomed house is not that excessive in my opinion. I however think the guy has no clue what he is doing or is planning to give you a second quote once amefika nusu.

Example, paint for Sh 18,500 is below what I would expect. you are already told that amekugonga kwa cement.

Get a second quote from the wazuans offering here. In fact get 3 different quotes and interrogate materials, have anyone with outlier quantities explain themselves.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
mozenrat
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 6:05:47 PM

Get one fundi to give you a quote for materials.. pay him 1k for the quote.. then give the job to a different fundi.
Pat87
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 6:23:26 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Materials for Sh 150K to repair a 3 bedroomed house is not that excessive in my opinion. I however think the guy has no clue what he is doing or is planning to give you a second quote once amefika nusu.

Example, paint for Sh 18,500 is below what I would expect. you are already told that amekugonga kwa cement.

Get a second quote from the wazuans offering here. In fact get 3 different quotes and interrogate materials, have anyone with outlier quantities explain themselves.

I gave up and just sent the money to mum,she said ako na fundi wake,what they will do i don't know,i cant really micro manage this from far.i told her to buy the materials herself,e.g paint she can get at crown paint,tiles anaweza enda saj ceramics,heavy duty polythene she can procure at RAMCO.
I dont know where to send her for the ceiling boards and roofing tiles cz she cant tell what type of tiles is on the roof so the fundi might have to do that bit.Her fundi will be starting on Monday.Am not too excited about it but its her house her call.
After My fundi dissapointed me colourfully,nimejaribu watu wangu wa Nairobi as she says,let her try hers.
Fingers crossed
Obi 1 Kanobi
#14 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 1:59:17 PM

Pat87 wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

I gave up and just sent the money to mum,she said ako na fundi wake,what they will do i don't know,i cant really micro manage this from far.i told her to buy the materials herself,e.g paint she can get at crown paint,tiles anaweza enda saj ceramics,heavy duty polythene she can procure at RAMCO.
I dont know where to send her for the ceiling boards and roofing tiles cz she cant tell what type of tiles is on the roof so the fundi might have to do that bit.Her fundi will be starting on Monday.Am not too excited about it but its her house her call.
After My fundi dissapointed me colourfully,nimejaribu watu wangu wa Nairobi as she says,let her try hers.
Fingers crossed

If she's in Nairobi, there's a hardware at Dagoretti corner (Multiple Hardware) that I can bet has everything she needs and they are very professional. She can buy from there.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Mukiri
#15 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 9:15:40 PM

Fundis are like Stock Brokers. Some things you only learn through experience. When you hear there is corruption in Kenya, please understand it cuts across all corners. I've gotten mad with fundis until Im now used to it, when they try stealing, cutting corners, lazying around or are just plain ignorant and don't know what they are doing.

Just get three quotations, and use them on your fundis. Buy ALL materials yourself. As a Christian, I'll advice you to use other quotations to have your 'fundi' repent. If he doesn't, let him go. He will be mad at not having conned you and do a lousy job.

Proverbs 19:21
Mukiri
#16 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 9:19:45 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Pat87 wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

Fingers crossed

If she's in Nairobi, there's a hardware at Dagoretti corner (Multiple Hardware) that I can bet has everything she needs and they are very professional. She can buy from there.

The least you could do is put up the price-list for your hardware. And transport charges

Proverbs 19:21
Obi 1 Kanobi
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2016 11:05:00 AM

Mukiri wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Pat87 wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

Fingers crossed

The least you could do is put up the price-list for your hardware. And transport charges

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I wish it was mine. Its a very big business, the owner must rake in millions daily.

I only recommended it coz I have bought things there on occasion and their prices are near producer prices and their product range is wide
Pat87
#18 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 1:54:05 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Pat87 wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

Fingers crossed

I will send her there to get the materials needed.
Thank you for the info