wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<12345>»
House Sinks in Huruma
murchr
#41 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 12:10:09 AM

Mike Ock wrote:
Even if this is a bandit economy, shouldn't Uhuru just have his Mount Kenya/Rift Valley Mafia and anyone else ajipange? Why not make an example of some of these politically disposable people?

How
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
harrydre
#42 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 5:14:14 AM

Most people don't value their lives and landlords know it. I hope mother nature keeps flooding all those buildings so that people can move. Would be a good lesson to the greedy landlords. Hopefully no more lives will be lost.
i.am.back!!!!
Impunity
#43 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 10:06:51 AM

kiash wrote:
[quote=hardwood]How do you even excavate the foundation for the building in such a situation? What happened to the 30m riparian zone on each side of the river? Kidero? Nema?

Hata hiyo hapo nyuma itakuwa next.

Let me tell you something, if you walk in the city surbubs hapo kwenyu majuu, you will realize that houses are built right close to the river/canals like shown up there in Hururma.

With technology, all is possible.

Tal a walk to NYC suburbs and Amsterdam canals...we have houses which were built 200 years ago by the water canals and still standing strong.

What might have made this house to sink is simply poor workmanship! Please deposit this to #Kumisa Sacco in Kiambu.

Now for Home Science graduates like @washiku and you,that house had a poor foundation, they used normal cement in an area which is 100% waterlogged year round...so what happened? The structure slowly sipped water by way of capilarity (Home science grads can google)...the structure became waterlogged and soggey like cabbage airport...then on the ultimate day,the structure simply gave in to its own weight.

Hiyo story ya riparian ambiya dimwits...if the guy built on a grabbed riparian sawa, jail him...but the house did not crumble because it was built on a river.

West-ket and Nakumatt UK are built inside the same river, they havent crumbled...I am sure they used the right cement and skill.

Beat me up now.

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

hardwood
#44 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 11:01:35 AM

hardwood
#45 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 11:07:02 AM

Impunity wrote:
kiash wrote:
[quote=hardwood]How do you even excavate the foundation for the building in such a situation? What happened to the 30m riparian zone on each side of the river? Kidero? Nema?

Let me tell you something, if you walk in the city surbubs hapo kwenyu majuu, you will realize that houses are built right close to the river/canals like shown up there in Hururma.

Tal a walk to NYC suburbs and Amsterdam canals...we have houses which were built 200 years ago by the water canals and still standing strong.

What might have made this house to sink is simply poor workmanship! Please deposit this to #Kumisa Sacco in Kiambu.

Now for Home Science graduates like @washiku and you,that house had a poor foundation, they used normal cement in an area which is 100% waterlogged year round...so what happened? The structure slowly sipped water by way of capilarity (Home science grads can google)...the structure became waterlogged and soggey like cabbage airport...then on the ultimate day,the structure simply gave in to its own weight.

Hiyo story ya riparian ambiya dimwits...if the guy built on a grabbed riparian sawa, jail him...but the house did not crumble because it was built on a river.

West-ket and Nakumatt UK are built inside the same river, they havent crumbled...I am sure they used the right cement and skill.

Beat me up now.

I agree with the above. Europeans have been building in the "riparian zone" for hundreds of years bila shida. Maybe we need to learn the skills from them.

Obi 1 Kanobi
#46 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 12:57:59 PM

Blaming Kidero/Nema for this is akin to chasing a phantom, they are politically responsible for all decisions affecting such constructions but ultimately, they rely on minions to do their jobs.

I read in today's papers that the 2 slumlords are to be charged with manslaughter. A fair decision as they are directly responsible for the construction.

I would also like to see a specific county employee, NEMA employee, the contractor and Architect (I am sure the last 2 do not exist) responsible for approving this building face similar charges. Let this employees implicate their bosses if they can demonstrate that negligence was delegated.

If responsibility needs to be scaled up, then why stop it at the Governor, how about take it all the way to the president, at the end of the day, he is the president of all of Kenya.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
majimaji
#47 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:02:34 PM

hardwood wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kiash wrote:

Beat me up now.

I agree with the above. Europeans have been building in the "riparian zone" for hundreds of years bila shida. Maybe we need to learn the skills from them.

We in Kenya have the skills. This disaster is not due to lack of building skills.
masukuma
#48 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:07:51 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Blaming Kidero/Nema for this is akin to chasing a phantom, they are responsible for all decisions affecting such constructions but ultimately, they rely on minions to do their jobs.

I read in today's papers that the 2 slumlords are to be charged with manslaughter. A fair decision as they are directly responsible for the construction.

I would also like to see a specific county employee, NEMA employee, the contractor and Architect (I am sure the last 2 do not exist) responsible for approving this building face similar charges. Let this employees implicate their bosses if they can demonstrate that negligence was delegated.

If responsibility needs to be scaled up, then why stop it at the Governor, how about take it all the way to the president, at the end of the day, he is the president of all of Kenya.

I am in agreement! there is also a level of personal responsibility that we as citizens should also take. People are careless with their lives and the lives of their families. How do you live in such a house and pay rent? really? then one hears fatalistic statements like "Oh.... Mungu ndio anatuchunga"... "Oh.... Mimi ni masikini".... Listen... hata kama wewe ni masikini level gani - you should know your life is not as cheep as you think. I am sure Lucy Kibaki would have paid millions to get that "life" you have. Why would you then just live it like it doesn't matter? why relegate yourself and your family's lives to statistics to be used during campaigns??? I know there are others in the blame chain but the 1st person who should be blamed is YOU! not all "poor" people live in dangling houses... tuwache ushenzi at a personal level... seriously! we cannot continue losing lives to stupid decisions and then make these lives political fodder. Oh... Kidero.... Oh Planner... hii ni 3rd world... take care of your life and that of your loved ones.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
maka
#49 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:13:36 PM

masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Blaming Kidero/Nema for this is akin to chasing a phantom, they are responsible for all decisions affecting such constructions but ultimately, they rely on minions to do their jobs.

I am in agreement! there is also a level of personal responsibility that we as citizens should also take. People are careless with their lives and the lives of their families. How do you live in such a house and pay rent? really? then one hears fatalistic statements like "Oh.... Mungu ndio anatuchunga"... "Oh.... Mimi ni masikini".... Listen... hata kama wewe ni masikini level gani - you should know your life is not as cheep as you think. I am sure Lucy Kibaki would have paid millions to get that "life" you have. Why would you then just live it like it doesn't matter? why relegate yourself and your family's lives to statistics to be used during campaigns??? I know there are others in the blame chain but the 1st person who should be blamed is YOU! not all "poor" people live in dangling houses... tuwache ushenzi at a personal level... seriously! we cannot continue losing lives to stupid decisions and then make these lives political fodder. Oh... Kidero.... Oh Planner... hii ni 3rd world... take care of your life and that of your loved ones.

On this note when that ka mini mall opens hapo opp T mall we should all boycott going huko..
possunt quia posse videntur
Impunity
#50 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 2:38:06 PM

hardwood wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kiash wrote:

Beat me up now.

400 years ago when Romeo and Juliet were in love, the houses they stayed and merried were all built ndani ya maji...the City Of Venice!

Yet 400 years later and with all the technologies we cannot build a simple structure in a river!

Impunity
#51 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 2:54:55 PM

maka wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

On this note when that ka mini mall opens hapo opp T mall we should all boycott going huko..

I will only go there if they sell some good fried and crunchy gizzards!

kimanimsc
#52 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 3:45:29 PM

Baba RAO visits Huruma.
kimanimsc
#53 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:08:05 PM

kimanimsc wrote:
Baba RAO visits Huruma.

https://twitter.com/Radi...atus/727479473604534272

Teargas, chaos as @RailaOdinga @Wetangulam and @skmusyoka arrive at the #HurumaTragedy scene.
maka
#54 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:14:10 PM

kimanimsc wrote:
kimanimsc wrote:
Baba RAO visits Huruma.

https://twitter.com/Radi...atus/727479473604534272

Teargas, chaos as @RailaOdinga @Wetangulam and @skmusyoka arrive at the #HurumaTragedy scene.

Surely teargas ya nini sasa....
possunt quia posse videntur
tom_boy
#55 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:20:42 PM

masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

@Masukuma, I sympathise with you. May you never ever have to make tough decisions like " Do I eat this mouldy bread or go without food?"

In my opinion, Kidero and his boys n girls are to blame. It is there duty to make sure such buildings are not constructed and if they are, they should not be habited.

Secondly, blame the owners. However, I wonder what will happen in law when owners present NEMA certificates and building plans duly authorised by Kanju.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
murchr
#56 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:52:23 PM

Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Obi 1 Kanobi
#57 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 5:24:40 PM

tom_boy wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

@Masukuma, I sympathise with you. May you never ever have to make tough decisions like " Do I eat this mouldy bread or go without food?"

In my opinion, Kidero and his boys n girls are to blame. It is there duty to make sure such buildings are not constructed and if they are, they should not be habited.

Secondly, blame the owners. However, I wonder what will happen in law when owners present NEMA certificates and building plans duly authorised by Kanju.

You are missing the point. I concur with you that the entire establishment has let down the people living in this building and many others accross the city and even Kenya.

The point is, lets identify specific individuals within the authorities whose signatures are on the documents and have them take individual responsibilities for the tragedy.

Use a simple checklist:
1. For the owners; did they follow the building codes, which professionals did they use and were they convinced that the building is stable, did they perform regular inspections etc
2. For the contractor/architect, did he follow their professional building codes, do they have relevant training to construct such a building
3. Authorities (the responsible officer here and not everyone); did they approve the building plans, do the building plans meet minimum requirements, did the building follow the codes, was the building location within law etc

This is because if we insist on accusing the establishment, then the case becomes too complicated to prove, we are then left with nothing. But if we focus on small steps where we narrow our focus to the individuals responsible, then other people in their position quickly learn that you pay for your sins as an individual (just like you will in heaven/hell)
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
masukuma
#58 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 5:46:39 PM

tom_boy wrote:
[quote=masukuma]

wewe sympathise tu! wacha watu waendelee vivyo hivyo!! living carelessly then blaming people they have never met for their woes. Kama Kidero and co wangefanya kazi yao ya manyumba hawa watu wangelala wapi? Tuwache kuwa irresponsible - take control of your life and don't be fatalistic... hii ujinga ndio imetujaa. Maisha ni yako sio ya kidero!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
sitaki.kujulikana
#59 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 6:06:18 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

You are missing the point. I concur with you that the entire establishment has let down the people living in this building and many others accross the city and even Kenya.

The point is, lets identify specific individuals within the authorities whose signatures are on the documents and have them take individual responsibilities for the tragedy.

Use a simple checklist:
1. For the owners; did they follow the building codes, which professionals did they use and were they convinced that the building is stable, did they perform regular inspections etc
2. For the contractor/architect, did he follow their professional building codes, do they have relevant training to construct such a building
3. Authorities (the responsible officer here and not everyone); did they approve the building plans, do the building plans meet minimum requirements, did the building follow the codes, was the building location within law etc

This is because if we insist on accusing the establishment, then the case becomes too complicated to prove, we are then left with nothing. But if we focus on small steps where we narrow our focus to the individuals responsible, then other people in their position quickly learn that you pay for your sins as an individual (just like you will in heaven/hell)

The building was not approved, so we do not have architects, engineers or authorities involved, its just a guy who took some crazy risk to make some coins.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#60 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 6:32:00 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

Use a simple checklist:

The building was not approved, so we do not have architects, engineers or authorities involved, its just a guy who took some crazy risk to make some coins.

I disagree with you. The building was approved, that's why its in existence, whether formally or informally is irrelevant. Something that's not approved cannot be in Huruma collecting rent, may be it has NCC water etc. Anyone saying it was not approved is just trying to avoid responsibility. I am sure the slumlord brothers know who they have been sharing their rent with.