wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

39 Pages«<2021222324>»
Chase Bank loss...another case of cooking the books?
Gathige
#421 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 11:18:23 AM

enyands wrote:
If well established banks are notoriously doing this how about Saccos ? Can an external IT auditor be hired to comb through Saccos? Im.sure it's worse there

@enyands, Majority of Saccos are well managed and risks minimal esp since loans are fully guaranteed.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Much Know
#422 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 11:30:44 AM

Gathige wrote:
enyands wrote:
If well established banks are notoriously doing this how about Saccos ? Can an external IT auditor be hired to comb through Saccos? Im.sure it's worse there

@enyands, Majority of Saccos are well managed and risks minimal esp since loans are fully guaranteed.

I think it was discussed here how teachers saccos were under pressure late year when Garment refused to raise their salaries, it is clear some small banks and financial institutions have been funding the strikes and are now under severe stress. Others under severe stress are the like of Police saccos, there have been police who surrender their entire salary to the sacco and survive on bribes, with current monitoring, these saccos are under stress. Similar cases in many garment saccos, i can imagine things are not very rosy at NYS sacco. Small banks which are involved in deals with these saccos are under stress of course! Some saccos are also often involved in very dirty financial practices and speculation!
A New Kenya
FRM2011
#423 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 11:31:19 AM

Mike Ock wrote:
Blogger Owaahh, who thoroughly researched the Imperial Bank case, now has come with another good analysis, not only of the current banking situation, but of the history of bandia banks in Kenya. I'm sorry Chase Bank depositors, directors have been fleecing banks since the 80s and so far no restitution or jailtime: http://owaahh.com/kenyan-banks-fail/

Read 11000 times in 24 hours. The traditional media is on its death bed. Btw apart from Jaindi Kisero, all the others are crap. Citizen TV is the worst in business journalism.
Impunity
#424 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 11:41:35 AM

FRM2011 wrote:
[quote=Mike Ock]Blogger Owaahh, who thoroughly researched the Imperial Bank case, now has come with another good analysis, not only of the current banking situation, but of the history of bandia banks in Kenya. I'm sorry Chase Bank depositors, directors have been fleecing banks since the 80s and so far no restitution or jailtime: http://owaahh.com/kenyan-banks-fail/[/quote]

Read 11000 times in 24 hours. The traditional media is on its death bed. Btw apart from Jaindi Kisero, all the others are crap. Citizen TV is the worst in business journalism.

That one @Terryanne chebet is a shallow b**ty in matters biashara!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

kollabo
#425 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 12:12:51 PM

Impunity wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
[quote=Mike Ock]Blogger Owaahh, who thoroughly researched the Imperial Bank case, now has come with another good analysis, not only of the current banking situation, but of the history of bandia banks in Kenya. I'm sorry Chase Bank depositors, directors have been fleecing banks since the 80s and so far no restitution or jailtime: http://owaahh.com/kenyan-banks-fail/[/quote]

That one @Terryanne chebet is a shallow b**ty in matters biashara!

I have always thought so.
MaichBlack
#426 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 1:10:01 PM

Rafiki have also shafted themselves!!!

The minute you cap withdrawals at 10,000/= there is no way you are going to convince anyone everything is okay.They have practically/technically put themselves in receivership. The minute they lift the cap, everyone transfers all their money to another bank or under a matress. No one will want to bank in a place where their withdrawals are capped at some random figure no matter how much you have in the account!!! And the longer the cap stays the worse the situation becomes.

Rafiki's goose is also cooked. And they dry fried it themselves! There is no way the run will be stopped!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Spikes
#427 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 1:18:45 PM

MaichBlack wrote:

The minute you cap withdrawals at 10,000/= there is no way you are going to convince anyone everything is okay.They have practically/technically put themselves in receivership. The minute they lift the cap, everyone transfers all their money to another bank or under a matress. No one will want to bank in a place where their withdrawals are capped at some random figure no matter how much you have in the account!!! And the longer the cap stays the worse the situation becomes.

Rafiki's goose is also cooked. And they dry fried it themselves! There is no way the run will be stopped!

If they suffer liquidity trap Opus Dei has instituted a standby facility for their rescue.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
Spikes
#428 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 1:20:16 PM

MaichBlack wrote:

If they suffer liquidity trap Opus Dei has instituted a standby facility for their rescue.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
Impunity
#429 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 1:23:05 PM

Spikes wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Then the depositors will conntinue with the run until Rafiki has no deposits left..any rescue KES CBK will wire in will be quicly withdrawn.
Their goose is cooked and fry dried.

mlennyma
#430 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 1:32:05 PM

Impunity wrote:
Spikes wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Then the depositors will conntinue with the run until Rafiki has no deposits left..any rescue KES CBK will wire in will be quicly withdrawn.

the worst thing when you know of a struggling financial institution, only withdrawals happen and no deposits. ..as good as dead
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
kamundu
#431 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 2:03:09 PM

http://www.mediamaxnetwo...ehind-chase-banks-fall/

Discuss (10mks)
Peace in our Homeland.
murchr
#432 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 2:10:13 PM

MaichBlack wrote:

Capping is the best way of controlling runs...infact, they should cap it to 10K and give the customer the money in 100/- notes.... Laughing out loudly
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Impunity
#433 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 2:24:23 PM

murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Capping is the best way of controlling runs...infact, they should cap it to 10K and give the customer the money in 100/- notes.... Laughing out loudly

Member once "capped" my withdrawal and they gave me 30K in mixes of kes.200 and kes.100 crisp notes...sema kuonekana millionaire!
First the ATM machine took like forever doing "krrrrr' counting my worth.
Then non of the nearby Mpesa outlets will accept my loose change(s).
I threw the cash in the car boot and drove home, intended mission cancelled.

Its not a wise thing to happen to you at the ATM especially if you had planned to go pick a machungwa.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Lolest!
#434 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 2:44:13 PM

kamundu wrote:
http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/people-daily/212530/islamic-banking-could-be-behind-chase-banks-fall/

Discuss (10mks)

Sad
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
whiteowl
#435 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 3:08:17 PM

Impunity wrote:
murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Member once "capped" my withdrawal and they gave me 30K in mixes of kes.200 and kes.100 crisp notes...sema kuonekana millionaire!

Its not a wise thing to happen to you at the ATM especially if you had planned to go pick a machungwa.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
MaichBlack
#436 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 3:21:23 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Spikes wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

the worst thing when you know of a struggling financial institution, only withdrawals happen and no deposits. ..as good as dead

@Spikes - It is too late for Rafiki!!

The facility was meant to make the customer's rest easy because their money is always available whenever they need it. For Rafiki customers, the already know (through experience no less!) that is not the case. As soon as they can, they will withdraw ALL their money. Rafiki is as good as dead! A financial institution with zero deposits and zero active customers is called a...?

Answer this two questions:

1) How many customers a likely NOT to withdraw their money as soon as that is possible?

2) How many customers are likely to deposit their hard earned cash at Rafiki moving forward.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#437 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 3:25:15 PM

whiteowl wrote:
Impunity wrote:
murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

@Impunity - KYA!!! Know Your Atm. For most banks, there is an ATM that dispenses 1000/= and 500/= and another that does 100/= and 200/= (If there are two or more machines). If there is a place you frequent, you should know which machine is which!!!

He he he.
kamundu
#438 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 3:56:01 PM

Lolest! wrote:
kamundu wrote:
http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/people-daily/212530/islamic-banking-could-be-behind-chase-banks-fall/

Discuss (10mks)

Sad

What does Dubai, Imperial , NBK and Chase have in common?d'oh!
Peace in our Homeland.
Impunity
#439 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 4:10:32 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
Impunity wrote:
murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

@Impunity - KYA!!! Know Your Atm. For most banks, there is an ATM that dispenses 1000/= and 500/= and another that does 100/= and 200/= (If there are two or more machines). If there is a place you frequent, you should know which machine is which!!!

He he he.

That place was not my usual area but it had 6 ATM machines, the 6th ATM was rather fat, positioned much lower and looked sexiest...sijui I also heard it can accept hard cash and cheques.

Ric dees
#440 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 4:19:34 PM

Years ago I lost cash at Nyaga Stockbrokers and I hoped to recover my money but never saw a cent. Lesson Numero Uno.

A few years later I was holding a portfolio at NSE and I pestered my broker day and night to buy me Uchumi shares which for some reason could not get.One morning out of the blue, shares were found which I instructed him to acquire and the next day Uchumi crashed, we all can guess what happened. Lesson Numero dos and certainly this was the last

Its fascinating reading all this stuff from arm-chair finance gurus, google students and the latte sipping crowd about what really happened at Chase Bank. Terms like "Qualified Opinion", "NPLs", "Receivership" etc have come to the fore. How many people used to watch Kiini Mach them days. Now this is the real deal...

How many know what really happened to PN at EQ? Why was he pushed out? (Clue 1)

Who wrote the anonymous letter to CBK about hands in the cookie jar and why (Clue 2)

Who is the chairmans husband? Partner at which Big 4? Who is his best friend? (Clue 3)

What happened to CO at KCB? (Clue 4)

Now the talk is all about Tier 1 banks - another big joke.

https://drive.google.com...k/view?pref=2&pli=1

Mimi nilkaangwa nikiwa kijana nikakanngika, nikaangwe tena nikiwa mtu mzima kwani niko na kichaa?

I was a Chase bank Client and loved the online portal, excellent customer service and more, I got the "exit" notification some time last month and duly moved my exposure to Stanchart where I strategise what next.

Kenya is a captive state, let those who understand this understand. As one Moi insider told me at Mt Kenya Safari club 2 years ago "Kenya iko na wenyewe" and I will add this

IF YOU ARE NOT AT THE TABLE, YOU ARE ON THE MENU

Kazi iendelee..pun intended.

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.