Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
The Kenyan Lawyer.So So Sad
Swenani
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 12:59:07 PM

Jinomoja wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Sven Thoreksson wrote:
Such are the woes of all Kenyan graduates who have done the so called prestigious courses.ie law, engineering, Medicine etc You slave for 5yrs to get enslaved on the basis of gaining experience.

People are better off taking biz courses, they end up managing those who took prestigious courses,

An entry position for an accounts assistant is 80K!(Not the wahindi and okuyo run family establishments)

The number of companies that pay 80k for an accounts assistant are very few.

Generally, most companies start their beginners at around 15k - 30k.

Hio ni pesa ya intern, stop looking for jobs in Inda!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
The Great
#22 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 1:17:36 PM

Niko Salama wrote:
I think there is a problem with the way the legal profession operates in Kenya
1. Lawyers cannot advertise in Kenya - I think this is a way through which big firms and "wenye profession" prevent any new entrants into the market - if any lawyer was allowed to advertise new tech savvy entrants can come in destabilize the old folk and big firms firm grip of the market - furthermore its so hard to get a lawyer when you are in need of one coz you don't know where to look ... but if they advertised even a new guy could be able to get a piece of the action

2. Lawyers have not been creative ... why cant a group of recent grandaunts band together and create a pool where groups that highly interact with the law can get affordable legal counsel at affordable prices ... if you get 3or 4 matatu SACCOs and tell them or their drivers to pay you a certain amount of money monthly/quarterly with the promise that if any of their matatus/drivers/touts is involved in incidences with the police/NTSA or accidents they are guaranteed of legal representation 24/7

just my thoughts ... this highly specialized professions (lawyers, doctors, engineers, carpenters, mechanics) are taught the theory part of the business but not how they can monetize their skills in the open market ...and that's why a good number of them can only function as employees

Everybody is a salesman. Question is if you aknowledge it. If you do, are you in the market? What are you doing to improve your sales? What do you know of ROI? Have you analysed your entreprise in terms of its potential and opportunity lost?
If all you know is 10% of job requirement, uza firewood kwa mashule na hosi ukitafuta job better than 5K pm. Besides u do need a bribe of say 50k to get even a 15k jobo. Kindly hop on the tenderprenuership aka bribery aka money laundering bus. Hii bus ya employee status inaenda rough road.
"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."
Jinomoja
#23 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 4:03:26 PM

Swenani wrote:
Jinomoja wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Sven Thoreksson wrote:
Such are the woes of all Kenyan graduates who have done the so called prestigious courses.ie law, engineering, Medicine etc You slave for 5yrs to get enslaved on the basis of gaining experience.

People are better off taking biz courses, they end up managing those who took prestigious courses,

An entry position for an accounts assistant is 80K!(Not the wahindi and okuyo run family establishments)

When I was in Campo I did my internship at an accounting firm in the city. While I was there I did a lot of research on what I could expect to make when I graduated. So I went through almost all of the company files to look at their payroll details. And that's how I came across that information.

Beginners start at around 15 - 30k at most places. Or at least at most of the companies whose files I've had the opportunity to go through. Middle managers are making just under six figures. The real money goes to the 1%.

Granted, the accounting firm I was in wasn't in the big 4 (It's just outside it) and so the clients they dealt with weren't those that would pay a beginner six figures. A lot of the clients are firms in Inda. Also this was a few years ago.

So my figures may possibly not be fully representative.

kayhara
#24 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 4:52:30 PM

Swenani wrote:
Jinomoja wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Sven Thoreksson wrote:

ati intern, boss not many people working in this city make more than 30k, only after 3 years will many firms consider an 80k gross salary, but some might be doing same as this onefirm i worked after campo, the ujaja was to get 30k salo and 50k cash chini ya maji for tax evasion, so on record you earn 30k but in real you earn 80k so files are not to be believed.
To Each His Own
kediveKed
#25 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 9:16:35 PM

Maisha ya wakili mchanga ni ngumu. There is a firm ... on waiyaki way - Icea riverside called Coulson and Harney apparently one of the best in Kenya. A glimpse of their website ( http://www.coulsonharney.com/Deals/Index.asp ) will give you an idea, they even put the deals they have done in dollars. These guys pay legal interns a whooping 6000 bob a month. Yes 6000 or 1500 per week ... yet the intern is the one drawing fee notes of 5 million and above.
matatuman
#26 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 10:09:39 PM

kediveKed wrote:
Maisha ya wakili mchanga ni ngumu. There is a firm ... on waiyaki way - Icea riverside called Coulson and Harney apparently one of the best in Kenya. A glimpse of their website ( http://www.coulsonharney.com/Deals/Index.asp ) will give you an idea, they even put the deals they have done in dollars. These guys pay legal interns a whooping 6000 bob a month. Yes 6000 or 1500 per week ... yet the intern is the one drawing fee notes of 5 million and above.

What is the problem with that? When i did my internship i was not being paid. Kids nowadays want to graduate and somehow live the life. You've got to work through the trenches - for most people at least. You may be doing the drafting but someone else is doing the thinking, internship is an opportunity to learn and get some exposure. Prove yourself and they might just make you an associate then maybe some day you can have the networks to launch your own firm. You need that mentoring kid, it is not about the money.
mozenrat
#27 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 10:15:01 PM

kediveKed wrote:

This is not a "lawyers" issue.. There's a medical research institute that charges students who want to take up internship with them (officially not as a bribe). A private University insists on offering internship to students who are excellent programmers and they are required to deliver or complete at least one piece of usable software which is deployed at the campus. The intern gets a whooping ZERO bob for the entire duration.
kediveKed
#28 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:33:31 AM

matatuman wrote:
kediveKed wrote:

What is the problem with that? When i did my internship i was not being paid. Kids nowadays want to graduate and somehow live the life. You've got to work through the trenches - for most people at least. You may be doing the drafting but someone else is doing the thinking, internship is an opportunity to learn and get some exposure. Prove yourself and they might just make you an associate then maybe some day you can have the networks to launch your own firm. You need that mentoring kid, it is not about the money.

The experience argument is a loop sided argument which cannot be put out there anymore. It is immoral and in humane in my eyes to earn profits of about 20 million per partners (at least) and give an intern working under you 6000 bob. Hio ni style ya mPIGS. Secondly, some of these guys from Uni are not from rich families. There are guys who take their kids to University of Manchester,Leeds, Coventry for law studies. For such guys coming back, the 6000 wouldn't be an issue. But from a hustla from Uon or Ku who cames from a pauper family, with helb loans that 6000 is an abuse to say the least. There should be enough money for commuting and lunch. Even Akina KPMG and PWC give interns around 1000 per day or at least they used to I don't know if its the same today. Point is 500-1000 bob per day is a fair amount, and in this country, that cannot surely make a person rich. Just give the kids enough to survive if not live in Nairobi. Surely no guy straight from campus would expect to be paid 400k per month. Just enough to survive would be sufficient for the kids.
sparkly
#29 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:02:17 AM

kediveKed wrote:
matatuman wrote:
kediveKed wrote:

The experience argument is a loop sided argument which cannot be put out there anymore. It is immoral and in humane in my eyes to earn profits of about 20 million per partners (at least) and give an intern working under you 6000 bob. Hio ni style ya mPIGS. Secondly, some of these guys from Uni are not from rich families. There are guys who take their kids to University of Manchester,Leeds, Coventry for law studies. For such guys coming back, the 6000 wouldn't be an issue. But from a hustla from Uon or Ku who cames from a pauper family, with helb loans that 6000 is an abuse to say the least. There should be enough money for commuting and lunch. Even Akina KPMG and PWC give interns around 1000 per day or at least they used to I don't know if its the same today. Point is 500-1000 bob per day is a fair amount, and in this country, that cannot surely make a person rich. Just give the kids enough to survive if not live in Nairobi. Surely no guy straight from campus would expect to be paid 400k per month. Just enough to survive would be sufficient for the kids.

Life is short. Live passionately.
matatuman
#30 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:29:47 AM

sparkly wrote:
kediveKed wrote:
matatuman wrote:
kediveKed wrote:

I think you are mistaking internship and employment. Internship is usually 3 months, often offered to those still in school. Let me ask you a question as an employer. What quantifiable value are you bringing to the firm to justify 6K being an insult? I would appreciate if you gave your response here.

Secondly, there is nothing like "loop sided". Its lopsided. The last thing you want is your employer correcting your grammar, not when you are drafting those documents bringing in millions. Get rid of that sense of entitlement.