wazua Mon, May 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

CFA Level 1 Dec 2015
ayushnehra
#1 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 7:41:34 PM

Hey Guys,

I know this may seem bait far fetched but I am planning to do CFA Level 1 this December. I understanding 6 months is not enough to prep, well not for me. So I will go for the December exam. Anyone willing to do the same let's coordinate and work together, share info notes etc

Also if anyone has done the CFA Qualification or the Level 1 alone please share experience also any materials you want to pass on (sell)

Asante
Dreams are not the thing you see in your sleep..it's the thing that doesn't let you sleep. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Rollout
#2 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 8:56:29 PM

ayushnehra wrote:
Hey Guys,

I know this may seem bait far fetched but I am planning to do CFA Level 1 this December. I understanding 6 months is not enough to prep, well not for me. So I will go for the December exam. Anyone willing to do the same let's coordinate and work together, share info notes etc

Also if anyone has done the CFA Qualification or the Level 1 alone please share experience also any materials you want to pass on (sell)

Asante

3 Months is enough for CFA 1, it's mostly what you've already learned in your undergra assuming you studied Accounting or Finance. approx 25% will come from basic accounting principles/ financial reporting and about another 25% coming from basic corporate finance. Level 1 is basically 2 line questions. Get some extra learning materials, Kaplan books, CFA books are too detail and long stories.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#3 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 10:58:51 PM

Was intending to one day try and register for this dreaded exam but when everyone tells you ohh sijui you must study for 300 hours and such stuff, considering that my undergraduate only slightly touched on microeconomics, macroeconomics and introduction o accounting, the thought of doing the exam makes me shiver!! But all i know is that it opens doors for really greater things!!
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
Rollout
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 12:05:47 AM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
Was intending to one day try and register for this dreaded exam but when everyone tells you ohh sijui you must study for 300 hours and such stuff, considering that my undergraduate only slightly touched on microeconomics, macroeconomics and introduction o accounting, the thought of doing the exam makes me shiver!! But all i know is that it opens doors for really greater things!!

If your undergraduate is not in FINANCE/Accounting or Business in that matter, it will take you longer to master the concepts. With basic accounting/ Finance/ Economics, you might pass level 1 but the bigger question is are you going to complete the entire program? Considering the fact that it get hard in level 2 and level 3. It's expensive, we're talking about between Kshs 60k-120k, per level, only to register before you even add additional material to study.

Maybe take the MSC Finance path and once you're done then you can go for CFA? MSC Finance will provide a good prep for derivavtive and financial instruments that you'll have to master to pass CFA
ayushnehra
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 12:59:52 AM

Rollout wrote:
ayushnehra wrote:
Hey Guys,

Asante

3 Months is enough for CFA 1, it's mostly what you've already learned in your undergra assuming you studied Accounting or Finance. approx 25% will come from basic accounting principles/ financial reporting and about another 25% coming from basic corporate finance. Level 1 is basically 2 line questions. Get some extra learning materials, Kaplan books, CFA books are too detail and long stories.

@Rollout and @UpcomingPaperChaser. I completed a degree in Accounting and Finance in the Uk last year. I have got 5 exemptions from the ACCA on the basis of my degree, this June I will sit 3 papers to make it to 8/14 total (8/9 for the fundamentals) After that I will start prep for CFA Level 1 and Possibly the 9th and final ACCA fundamental paper (which I shall sit in September). I don't think the ACCA should be an issue at least until i finish the 9 as the material I pretty much covered in uni. Once that is complete I shall shift my focus 100% to CFA which i believe with a couple of months of light and 3 months of full dedication can be done and done well. Though I believe working with like minded individuals will be a better way to do this. that Is why i would like to work with someone (or a few)

Come January 2016 I believe I will be better placed to get a solid Job in kenya and maybe elsewhere. And then take my sweet time even upto 3 years to complete the remaining 5 ACCA and 2 CFA levels.I want to make it and I will work for it.

Please advice if you feel I maybe going wrong somewhere. I am just a graduate who want to work in finance but still not sure what side whether the accounting or the financial so just equipping myself.

Dreams are not the thing you see in your sleep..it's the thing that doesn't let you sleep. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Baraza
#6 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 9:57:27 AM

ayushnehra wrote:
Hey Guys,

Asante

Have you considered that there is no Level 1 sitting in Kenya in December?
ayushnehra
#7 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 12:05:18 PM

Baraza wrote:
ayushnehra wrote:
Hey Guys,

Asante

Have you considered that there is no Level 1 sitting in Kenya in December?

I am aware..The factor here is for me is the time..I would like to be in a certain situation by Janaury and only doing the exam then can help..June is too soon for me to do it now..so Dec.But I guess after a few tedious months of studying and an intense exam a couple of days in South Africa and Dubai won't be bad but rewarding..!!Let's see though..ACCA Exams in June Await..!!
valueinvestingkenya
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 2:34:59 PM

I really feel sorry for this young guys they overpay to only be taught formulas, which in real life don't even work, remember there were more than 20,000 economist and analyst in wall street, most of whom went to Ivy league schools,and none fore saw the eminent disaster in 2008, you need to know that studying investing is a life long journey, things are changing everyday has any of you even picked up any Kenyan public company financial statement and seen the amount of changes IFRS has put forward since the last recession. Yet CFA is supposed to be an analyst heaven,thinking you know and knowing are two very different things, I read a story of one lady who at first tell us how it was struggle to finish her CFA exams and at the end after clearing with her CFA exams she became a bond analyst, simple logic should tell you that over the last 100 years bonds have probably beaten stocks returns wise for only 2 or 6 years out of the 100 years,talk of a career choice. It's not investing that matters its successfully doing it over a long period of time even during down years. That means having a strategy and sticking to it. With all the CFA's in Kenya none stand out as a voice of reason even when fraud is committed, so was there fraud in KQ you may never know if all your energy is focused on excelling in exams.
streetwise
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 3:35:02 PM

Rememeber the gold rush and Levi
guru267
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:17:26 AM

valueinvestingkenya wrote:
I really feel sorry for this young guys they overpay to only be taught formulas, which in real life don't even work, remember there were more than 20,000 economist and analyst in wall street, most of whom went to Ivy league schools,and none fore saw the eminent disaster in 2008, you need to know that studying investing is a life long journey, things are changing everyday has any of you even picked up any Kenyan public company financial statement and seen the amount of changes IFRS has put forward since the last recession. Yet CFA is supposed to be an analyst heaven,thinking you know and knowing are two very different things, I read a story of one lady who at first tell us how it was struggle to finish her CFA exams and at the end after clearing with her CFA exams she became a bond analyst, simple logic should tell you that over the last 100 years bonds have probably beaten stocks returns wise for only 2 or 6 years out of the 100 years,talk of a career choice. It's not investing that matters its successfully doing it over a long period of time even during down years. That means having a strategy and sticking to it. With all the CFA's in Kenya none stand out as a voice of reason even when fraud is committed, so was there fraud in KQ you may never know if all your energy is focused on excelling in exams.

I thought they were only 37 CFA's in the whole of Kenya.

That's about only one CFA per million people!

Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
kaka2za
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:00:44 AM

In unrelated matter,am looking for CPS Part three study notes preferably from Strathmore but definitely not those by Technical university lecturer that have been copied and pasted from internet.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
kinyash2
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:55:50 PM

I have the 2016 notes from shweser and CFA institute plus over 4000 questions from shweser also for 2016...my email: infoexpressoagencies@gmail.com
ndiwe84
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:30:28 PM

What are the requirements for registering for the CFA exams? Must i send my degree certificate to the CFA institute for them to accept me?

Must in have many years of work experience in the investment banking field for my application to be accepted?

Please CFA experts help me out.