wazua Fri, Jun 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rethinking our electoral practices
first body
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:46:59 PM

Kenyan MPIGS are what they are today because that is what we make them. The current bunch of MPIGs dont come from the communities they represent. They were and are elites based in Nairobi with occasional visit to there constituents.
During elections you get a dozens of individuals clamouring to be members of parliament in this and that constitency. More so for Nairobi. From this bunch of people the person who win is not necessarily smart, knowledgeable etc but the one who can play the political game quite well. I know i am stating the obvious here.

Case in point. KJ of the redykulass trio who ran for MPIG dagoretti under ODM as a young visionary leader. I think being a marketer he sold himself quite well and was a well known brand and quite visible but he still lost to Beth Mugo. I know the political commentators here will have over a thousand reasons of why he lost but that is still not my point.

My point is that the system will not change because KJ will come 2012 ask for votes being that he is still a young visionary leader and might again lose. By the 2017 election he will be quite well known as the guy who came second etc but he has huge financial and political debts to pay. He will be just as corrupt as the current bunch by teh time he gets in to parliament.
This is a deviation from my argument.The question but from 2008 to 2012 what has he done for, to and with the poeple of dagoretti? I dont know just wondering??

Lets flip the script if KJ were to become a noise maker politician shout down this or that person with alot of media attention and come 2012 he is known as this heckler. If you were a dagoretti constituent who which KJ would you vote for? The Marketer with unknown and unproven leadership skills or the heckler!!

My argument is that the middle class who get there information from the media and new media such as wazua are a huge part of the problem. Of the bunch of personalities who were competing some of them actually had the communities best interest at heart but they don't have funding or media attention.

We need to re-organize how this game is played. Not through the constitution but through our mindset, and loosening our purses to support people who can make a change!
aemathenge
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:26:41 PM

@First Body,

I was just about to post something very nasty aganist you until I noticed from you past posts that you seem to be a Jack Bauer fan.

In as far as this post is concerned, you advocate for change in our mode of choosing our Mpigs. I would like to refer you to Michael Joseph Jackson' song "Man in Mirror". Kindly look up the lyrics and edit your post accordingly.

Secondly, I refer you to Page 32 of The Business Daily, dated 31st March 2010.

"We think in generalities, but we live in details."

Welcome to www.wazua. com
Jaina
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:40:38 AM

mwili moja, you have a point. But as you have said, thats nothing new. From the look of things, we have to resign to fate and prayers. Its very difficult or nearly impossible to change the mindset of kenyans. They have peculiar habits. Ask Senior management of YU, even if the calls from YU to YU are made free, "kenyans" will still stick with Expensive Safaricom. Michael Joseph Knows it, and is a wise man.

My Point: You have a point and thats it. Its just a point, progressing from there is near impossible.