#41 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2016 5:37:53 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
safaricom,airtel or orange sleeping again.they should jump on this netflix excitement with something like a netflix package. 2mbps connection just for Netflix.then split revenue with netflix.and netflix should accept mpesa.
really Safaricom should i be doing all the thinking for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When kplc will hit them na hiyo fibre networking ndio wataanza kusema break the monopoly and be whining babies.i wish sir Vanderbilt someone working at green monster heard you

Ati KPLC, you must be a joker

well, not exactly kplc as they are now kenya power but yes. they have been building some serious fibre network. it is their network that the likes of wananchi (zuku) and jtl have been leasing to provide their cable offerings.

Anybody with hopes in Kenya power or KPLC(whatever they call themselves) is deluded

no hopes; it is the reality. i, any many others in nairobi, currently enjoy near 100% uptime broadband internet provided by zuku courtesy of kenya power cables.

I thought zuku and jtl put those cables themselves, and are only "hitchhiking" on the KPLC poles, instead of putting the cables underground.

this:

The State-owned utility firm earned Sh259.4 million revenue in the year to June 2015 from leasing out extra capacity on its fibre optic network, income it now intends to grow to Sh1 billion by 2017.

The electricity firm does not use all the capacity.

It leases out the extra bandwidth to customers including Safaricom, Liquid Telecom, Jamii Telecommunications, Wananchi Group and Airtel.

Some of these customers are now set to morph into competitors if Kenya Power actualises its diversification plan.

and this:

Kenya Power has since 2010 fixed over 1,800 kilometres of fibre optics along its high-voltage power lines — traversing through 24 of Kenya’s 47 counties — and is seeking to extend this to all regions.

The State-owned utility firm earned Sh259.4 million in revenue in the year ended June from leasing out extra capacity on its fibre optic network, an income line it now intends to grow to Sh1 billion by 2017.

The power firm mainly uses the high-speed Internet network to manage its national grid.

The firm does not, however, use all the capacity and has over the years been leasing out the extra capabilities to mobile telecommunication firms and Internet service providers.

Kenya Power in 2002 was licensed as a network facility provider by the communications sector regulator allowing it to its lease excess broadband capacity to players in the telecoms industry.

Its current customers include Safaricom, Liquid Telecom, Jamii Telecommunications, Wananchi Group and Airtel.
#42 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 11:59:29 AM

How true is this in today's Business daily
For instance, Cloud TV content that includes Super Sports channels between 1 and 5, major global news channels such as CNN, Bloomberg, BBC World News, CNBC and SKY will be available on Jamii Telecoms’ Android box at a monthly subscription fee of Sh1,000.

http://www.businessdaily...1/-/awkbxyz/-/index.html
#43 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 1:16:54 PM

How true is this in today's Business daily
For instance, Cloud TV content that includes Super Sports channels between 1 and 5, major global news channels such as CNN, Bloomberg, BBC World News, CNBC and SKY will be available on Jamii Telecoms’ Android box at a monthly subscription fee of Sh1,000.

http://www.businessdaily.../-/awkbxyz/-/index.html

just the usual kenyan journalism incident. article is all over and it is hard to know the details. somewhere in that article they say that they just provide you with the box while the subscribers shall be responsible for sourcing their own content once online. seems like jamii would be charging you 5k per month for 5mbps and then charge you another 10k to buy the box and a further 1k per month just because you bought the box from them.
#44 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 2:52:19 PM

Reads like fiction.
quadc
#45 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:38:39 PM

[quote=kayhara]How true is this in today's Business daily

http://www.businessdaily.../-/awkbxyz/-/index.html[/quote]

I guess they meant sky-sports not super-sports
rryyzz
#46 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 2:36:15 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
safaricom,airtel or orange sleeping again.they should jump on this netflix excitement with something like a netflix package. 2mbps connection just for Netflix.then split revenue with netflix.and netflix should accept mpesa.
really Safaricom should i be doing all the thinking for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When kplc will hit them na hiyo fibre networking ndio wataanza kusema break the monopoly and be whining babies.i wish sir Vanderbilt someone working at green monster heard you

Ati KPLC, you must be a joker

well, not exactly kplc as they are now kenya power but yes. they have been building some serious fibre network. it is their network that the likes of wananchi (zuku) and jtl have been leasing to provide their cable offerings.

Anybody with hopes in Kenya power or KPLC(whatever they call themselves) is deluded

no hopes; it is the reality. i, any many others in nairobi, currently enjoy near 100% uptime broadband internet provided by zuku courtesy of kenya power cables.

I thought zuku and jtl put those cables themselves, and are only "hitchhiking" on the KPLC poles, instead of putting the cables underground.

this:

The State-owned utility firm earned Sh259.4 million revenue in the year to June 2015 from leasing out extra capacity on its fibre optic network, income it now intends to grow to Sh1 billion by 2017.

The electricity firm does not use all the capacity.

It leases out the extra bandwidth to customers including Safaricom, Liquid Telecom, Jamii Telecommunications, Wananchi Group and Airtel.

Some of these customers are now set to morph into competitors if Kenya Power actualises its diversification plan.

and this:

Kenya Power has since 2010 fixed over 1,800 kilometres of fibre optics along its high-voltage power lines — traversing through 24 of Kenya’s 47 counties — and is seeking to extend this to all regions.

The State-owned utility firm earned Sh259.4 million in revenue in the year ended June from leasing out extra capacity on its fibre optic network, an income line it now intends to grow to Sh1 billion by 2017.

The power firm mainly uses the high-speed Internet network to manage its national grid.

The firm does not, however, use all the capacity and has over the years been leasing out the extra capabilities to mobile telecommunication firms and Internet service providers.

Kenya Power in 2002 was licensed as a network facility provider by the communications sector regulator allowing it to its lease excess broadband capacity to players in the telecoms industry.

Its current customers include Safaricom, Liquid Telecom, Jamii Telecommunications, Wananchi Group and Airtel.

KPLC leases dark fibre to all telecom players in Kenya. Safaricom, airtel, wananchi, Jamii,liquid telecom are their customers. They've been doing this since 2011, so nothing new. What was in Business daily was a little misleading.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.... Leo Buscaglia
#47 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 3:58:44 PM

I am subscribed to the Netflix $9.90 package. What amount in Ksh should i expect to appear on my credit card statement?
#48 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 4:26:31 PM

I am subscribed to the Netflix $9.90 package. What amount in Ksh should i expect to appear on my credit card statement?

c it's bank dependent...sawa something like 1010 on mine. .
Nimerudi
#49 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 7:14:18 PM

c it's bank dependent...sawa something like 1010 on mine. .

KES 1017.98 on my Feb subscription.