#41 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:10:11 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
JkMwatha wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:
I appreciate your inputs,
at what mileage should the timing belt be changed and at what cost & process

change that damn thing the moment you buy the car and start your service timings from there.

This discussion is very good, but I wonder what advice @Money Whisperer is giving here smile
Are you telling the guy to emphasize the lie tto himself and next owner that the car is now brand new from show room with 0km odometer? I thought you don't need to have brand new odometer in order to know when is next service, just note down current reading x, next service is x+5000km Liar

@AlphD, if I'm not wrong I think he means change the timing belt rather than the speedo.

Pwaaah it's true, I just re-read his post and surely he was referring to the belt not odo d'oh!
@MW lol smile

I meant that,
why would a person go rewinding the odometer in expense of changing the timing belt when the time/ distance is due for the change.
JkMwatha
#42 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 1:20:35 PM

lexx wrote:

I meant that,
why would a person go rewinding the odometer in expense of changing the timing belt when the time/ distance is due for the change.

Is this meant to be a question ?

If you're asking why rewind the odometer instead of changing the belt....?

For two reasons: -
1. rewinding the odometer is easier, cheaper takes less time

2. Seppuku had answered your question in post #17
Seppuku wrote:
because that will fool Kenyans into paying more for the car.
the car 'gains' value.

It should also be a crime!
Money Whisperer
#43 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 7:53:34 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

change that damn thing the moment you buy the car and start your service timings from there.

This discussion is very good, but I wonder what advice @Money Whisperer is giving here smile
Are you telling the guy to emphasize the lie tto himself and next owner that the car is now brand new from show room with 0km odometer? I thought you don't need to have brand new odometer in order to know when is next service, just note down current reading x, next service is x+5000km Liar

Alpha, thats what I meant. change the timing belt and note the odo reading then start timing your services from that baseline
"Money never sleeps"
Odec
#44 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 8:58:44 AM

premio wrote:
All VVTI engines for Toyota are controlled by oil pressure and solenoids, they are a chain engine. This is good economy wise because the timing varies with the changing operating conditions. Less maintenance because the belt does not need changing, but care must be followed to change the oil at the recommended intervals
EFI premios Carinas Ae110 should be changed every 100000kms other models like mazda nissan mitshubishi ask your local dealer not the polytechnik mechanic

For VVTI just put synthetic oil as those variable timing oil holes are small & small oil clogs can lead to quick overhaul unless u like buying crank bearings & sleeves once ina while
LiVE sIMpLE thiNk BiG
seppuku
#45 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 9:23:12 AM

wilyum wrote:
seppuku wrote:
lexx wrote:
Stra wrote:
Mine has just crossed the 100k kms. For those who have changed, do you buy the full timing kit including tensioners ama ni belt pekee?

good question

I am following this

Full kit. All those components tap out about the same time.

good to knw,am almst there too and the price at subaru kenya,wolololo.

@seppuku, where did you buy yours?

Right there, Subaru Kenya.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
Chaka
#46 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:44:55 AM

Would I be making a mistake in importing a mitsubishi pajero(diesel) with the odo at say 150,000 km?
chemirocha
#47 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 11:48:09 AM

Chaka wrote:
Would I be making a mistake in importing a mitsubishi pajero(diesel) with the odo at say 150,000 km?

It depends on how well the car has been maintained. Although the same could be said about a majority of the "new" cars that are imported from abroad.

I'd advise you to get as much info on the car before you commit yourself.
Chaka
#48 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:21:12 PM

chemirocha wrote:
Chaka wrote:

It depends on how well the car has been maintained. Although the same could be said about a majority of the "new" cars that are imported from abroad.

Ok,but apart from the auction grade,would vehicle exporters in Japan have any further info(previous owner,maintenance history,whether company owned,what vehicle was being used for etc..)?
Wapi @Tokyo?
geofreygachie
#49 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 2:43:35 PM

Money Whisperer wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Alpha, thats what I meant. change the timing belt and note the odo reading then start timing your services from that baseline

After going through the invaluable information shared here I have thoroughly checked the timing belt replacement sticker and it's nowhere to be found on a starlet ep91.I had asked the previous owner earlier and the answer was that it was changed .The engine is a 4E-FE .Any contacts for a reputable mechanic who is conversant with that engine generation ?
I will go ahead and have it replaced and have peace of mind.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
chemirocha
#50 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 2:57:05 PM

geofreygachie wrote:

After going through the invaluable information shared here I have thoroughly checked the timing belt replacement sticker and it's nowhere to be found on a starlet ep91.I had asked the previous owner earlier and the answer was that it was changed .The engine is a 4E-FE .Any contacts for a reputable mechanic who is conversant with that engine generation ?

For older generation Toyota's, timing belt replacement is recommended after 100k kilometres.
Thitifini
#51 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:29:40 PM

Chaka wrote:

No experience with Pajeros, but we do import most HiAce matatus at those odo readings. Note most of these comfortably do 5 years in good condition.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
Tokyo
#52 Posted : Saturday, February 06, 2016 4:26:55 AM

Chaka wrote:
chemirocha wrote:
Chaka wrote:

Ok,but apart from the auction grade,would vehicle exporters in Japan have any further info(previous owner,maintenance history,whether company owned,what vehicle was being used for etc..)?
Wapi @Tokyo?

Are you buying from auction, or from exporters ? Request a copy of "shaken" or auction report. ( in japanese). The cars "life history " possible with those 2 documents. Accidents ,ownership ,location ,use.
work to prosper
Chaka
#53 Posted : Saturday, February 06, 2016 11:07:34 AM

Tokyo wrote:
Chaka wrote:
chemirocha wrote:
Chaka wrote:

Wapi @Tokyo?

Are you buying from auction, or from exporters ? Request a copy of "shaken" or auction report. ( in japanese). The cars "life history " possible with those 2 documents. Accidents ,ownership ,location ,use.

@Tokyo,from exporters.Next problem will be translation to English..
Tokyo
#54 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2016 3:58:21 AM

When you get I can translate for you. Request shaken and insurance copies. Which port ?
work to prosper
Chaka
#55 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2016 10:13:28 AM

Tokyo wrote:
When you get I can translate for you. Request shaken and insurance copies. Which port ?

@Tokyo,thanks.Port is Mombasa.My email addr is chakacrafts at email dot com

Tokyo
#56 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2016 11:37:20 AM

Chaka wrote:
Tokyo wrote:

Port of origin? if Yokohama I might pass on my way elsewhere and have a look.

work to prosper
Chaka
#57 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:03:06 PM

Tokyo wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Tokyo wrote:

@Tokyo,still waiting for exporter to source the vehicle.The one they sourced recently was a 2011/02 model odo at 194,000 km which I thought was on the higher side.
Tokyo
#58 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:49:37 PM

Chaka wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Tokyo wrote:

@Tokyo,still waiting for exporter to source the vehicle.The one they sourced recently was a 2011/02 model odo at 194,000 km which I thought was on the higher side.

For a 5 year clocking 200k means it was company ,agencies owned which might not be recommended if you intend on personal use. Also that year pajeros had recall.
When you do get your preferred car tumia mimi those 2 copies.
work to prosper
Chaka
#59 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2016 2:36:45 PM

Tokyo wrote:
[quote=Chaka][quote=Tokyo][quote=Chaka]
For a 5 year clocking 200k means it was company ,agencies owned which might not be recommended if you intend on personal use. Also that year pajeros had recall.
When you do get your preferred car tumia mimi those 2 copies.

@Tokyo,I though so to.I read that year 2008 of pajero had issues.i hope 2009/10 did not have a recall.Nikipata
hiyo gari nitakutumia hiyo shaken.Asante..
obiero
#60 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2016 3:45:57 PM

geofreygachie wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
lexx wrote:

Its better to service immediately you receive the bloody car.. Former owner most likely dint service since it was due for sale

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45