7 Pages«<23456>»
Farm Fencing
enyands
#61 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:52:13 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:
[quote=murchr]Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist![/quote

@murchr, For Kei Apple, you plant the seeds and not the stems. BTW the seeds are edible and very sweet... It's a fruit. Start by getting the ripe fruits, which are yellow in colour. Each fruit has very many seeds which you can havest my manually removing the fresh and retain the tiny seeds. Then make some furrows along the intended fence and plant the seeds, water them and will then germinate. Once the seedlings reach knee height, u need to start coiling it to kake a good fence. For best results you can first do a chain link or berded wire fence and coil the kei apple on the fence. You can get the seeds from mature Kei apple during the fruiting season. Kei apple fence is laborious to manage as it requires regular trimming. The thorns are very prickly and painful. Best results if you have a big plot size as it can easily overgrow.

You can also buys seeds at a seeds shop or try KEFRI .

Best of luck

I remember these fruits when i was young , never tasted coz i heard they were poisonous.

The guy is confusing kei apple seeds with lokwats kwa kiswahili the yellow msabibu. I hope I got the correct spelling of lokwats. They have sweet ripe yellow seeds too

@enyands you're the confused one. It's true as @kiash says, some people eat those Kayaba fruits and I have seen. Lokwats we know them too they're eaten.

I'm not confused .kayapa fruits are very nasty I tried them when young and I know the taste hasn't changed .unless wewe Boris and your friends have discovered a sweetened genetically modified kayapa then I'll rest my case. .I don't know how your sensible friends can eat that thing .it's bitter like hell though deceiving yellow like lokwats fruits. That's what I meant. Kwani kizungu ni ngumu lol .I thought you were once a teacher ama
Is there any wazuan eating those fruits hapa.please tell us how they taste.
Mukiri
#62 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 9:06:40 PM

nakujua wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
If you intend to engage in proper farming kei apple/kaiyaba might not be ideal. The root system are widely spread. It's a competitor of nutrients and water.
Anyway usisahau trees trees trees in your budget

What do you mean by 'Trees'? Fence trees ama miti kwa shamba?

Is boungavillia a competitor of nutrients too?
Can hibiscus be a fence?

On hibiscus, yes it can be a fence, though as it grows it needs some training - but its good especially in the drier areas. I bought some seedlings for the same hapo forestry institute on kiambu road.

I have not noted the root system for bougainvillea extending far, thus it keeps to its planted area unlike kei apple whose root system spreads far.

Ero kamano. One more question, I know Bougainvillea needs a support. I've seen the chain-link fence, with it grown into it.. What about hibiscus? Is hibiscus thorny too?

Proverbs 19:21
Boris Boyka
#63 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 10:38:56 PM

enyands wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:
[quote=murchr]Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist![/quote

@murchr, For Kei Apple, you plant the seeds and not the stems. BTW the seeds are edible and very sweet... It's a fruit. Start by getting the ripe fruits, which are yellow in colour. Each fruit has very many seeds which you can havest my manually removing the fresh and retain the tiny seeds. Then make some furrows along the intended fence and plant the seeds, water them and will then germinate. Once the seedlings reach knee height, u need to start coiling it to kake a good fence. For best results you can first do a chain link or berded wire fence and coil the kei apple on the fence. You can get the seeds from mature Kei apple during the fruiting season. Kei apple fence is laborious to manage as it requires regular trimming. The thorns are very prickly and painful. Best results if you have a big plot size as it can easily overgrow.

Best of luck

I remember these fruits when i was young , never tasted coz i heard they were poisonous.

The guy is confusing kei apple seeds with lokwats kwa kiswahili the yellow msabibu. I hope I got the correct spelling of lokwats. They have sweet ripe yellow seeds too

@enyands you're the confused one. It's true as @kiash says, some people eat those Kayaba fruits and I have seen. Lokwats we know them too they're eaten.

I'm not confused .kayapa fruits are very nasty I tried them when young and I know the taste hasn't changed .unless wewe Boris and your friends have discovered a sweetened genetically modified kayapa then I'll rest my case. .I don't know how your sensible friends can eat that thing .it's bitter like hell though deceiving yellow like lokwats fruits. That's what I meant. Kwani kizungu ni ngumu lol .I thought you were once a teacher ama

@nyandes has anyone ever said Lokwats are poisonous! There are so many edible bitter fruits and herbs which are consumed. Just because you don't like them doesn't become reason to generalize. You seem like haven't tasted lemon either... Wewe ni mtoto wa sugar and sweet things!
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
Boris Boyka
#64 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 10:40:46 PM

enyands wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:

Best of luck

@nyandes has anyone ever said Lokwats are poisonous! There are so many edible bitter fruits and herbs which are consumed. Just because you don't like them doesn't become reason to generalize. You seem like haven't tasted lemon either... Wewe ni mtoto wa sugar and sweet things!
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
enyands
#65 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 10:48:55 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:

Best of luck

You made my night. I'll sleep a smilling happy man
Laughing out loudly
nakujua
#66 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 11:33:44 AM

Mukiri wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
If you intend to engage in proper farming kei apple/kaiyaba might not be ideal. The root system are widely spread. It's a competitor of nutrients and water.
Anyway usisahau trees trees trees in your budget

What do you mean by 'Trees'? Fence trees ama miti kwa shamba?

Is boungavillia a competitor of nutrients too?
Can hibiscus be a fence?

On hibiscus, yes it can be a fence, though as it grows it needs some training - but its good especially in the drier areas. I bought some seedlings for the same hapo forestry institute on kiambu road.

I have not noted the root system for bougainvillea extending far, thus it keeps to its planted area unlike kei apple whose root system spreads far.

Ero kamano. One more question, I know Bougainvillea needs a support. I've seen the chain-link fence, with it grown into it.. What about hibiscus? Is hibiscus thorny too?

No hibiscus is not thorny, it does not need support since it grows like a ka 'tree' but if you want it as a well knit fence, you can have a wire fence then as the hibiscus grows you train it around forming a thick fence, but also it will just do well on its own without suport, especially if you plant them close together. The flowers too are a nice addition.
kayhara
#67 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 11:28:05 AM

Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:

Best of luck

When I was in primary school we were asked to bring kaiyafa fruits, the 4k club then fermented them before sowing the resulting pulp, it came out well and the fence still stands today, I don't have to mention we took some of the fermented stuff hoping to get high, the school was smelling like an illicit beewery for weeks
To Each His Own
Mukiri
#68 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 11:23:26 PM

kayhara wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:

Best of luck

When I was in primary school we were asked to bring kaiyafa fruits, the 4k club then fermented them before sowing the resulting pulp, it came out well and the fence still stands today, I don't have to mention we took some of the fermented stuff hoping to get high, the school was smelling like an illicit beewery for weeks

Care to elaborate? (Not the drinking/brewery part!Pray But how you fermented and planted)

TheChaoos
#69 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 8:11:15 PM

@QD did you manage to do the fencing? last year I got a quote from a company that do plastic recycled posts 5 acres was totaling to 171K for everything needed.my quote was for 175posts@600Kshs,3Mtrs apart and 5 rolls of barbed wire Devki @ 21,625. Hiyo ni pesa ya acre moja!

I decided buying posts from these mbao dealers was the next option. Id like to do the fencing this time round.
How many posts did you settle for for 5 acres?
and where did you get the posts around Kajiado to reduce costs of transport

QD wrote:
Thanks everyone and from the post this i will do
1.Buy buy long posts of 8'.
2.Use barbed wire.
3.Prop posts with concrete mixer o a 2.5'-3' holes.
4.Plant Kayaba to transition to the live fence.
5.Build a simple house for farm use/Keeper.

I need this last help coz i am a first timer.
1.Where to source for the posts fairly has to be btw Kisaju and Kajiado.
2.Reference of who can do a neat job already got one but need the second for comparison/competitive bargain.

@Gathige, Tokyo and Njung'e any heads up and i am really appreciative of the help am getting.

Every Insult is an Opportunity
Magunia
#70 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:53:15 AM

TheChaoos wrote:
@QD did you manage to do the fencing? last year I got a quote from a company that do plastic recycled posts 5 acres was totaling to 171K for everything needed.my quote was for 175posts@600Kshs,3Mtrs apart and 5 rolls of barbed wire Devki @ 21,625. Hiyo ni pesa ya acre moja!

I decided buying posts from these mbao dealers was the next option. Id like to do the fencing this time round.

QD wrote:
2.Use barbed wire.

2.Reference of who can do a neat job already got one but need the second for comparison/competitive bargain.

@Gathige, Tokyo and Njung'e any heads up and i am really appreciative of the help am getting.

I am curious how your kei apple fence is holding up. Did you ever get to do it? If you did, how much did it cost you? Any challenges you consider worth noting?
I ask because I'm attempting to do something similar but in Laikipia county on a 5 acre land.

Mukiri
#71 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:14:36 AM

Magunia wrote:
TheChaoos wrote:

QD wrote:
2.Use barbed wire.

I am curious how your kei apple fence is holding up. Did you ever get to do it? If you did, how much did it cost you? Any challenges you consider worth noting?
I ask because I'm attempting to do something similar but in Laikipia county on a 5 acre land.

I read somewhere here that if land is intended for farming kei-apple has a vast root system that can interfere.

I did Eucalptus (Cedar much better - long-lasting and less bulky to carry) and planted Finger Euphorbia (Can also be used as bio-pesticide) and cactus(Medicinal and Fruits are bought, some source of income)

newfarer
#72 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:11:48 AM

enyands wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:

Best of luck

zinawekwa kwa uji for instant fermentation. very acidic like ukwaju ya pwani.

I have a 500ml bottle full of kei apple seeds awaiting for the next planting season for an half acre fence upcountry
punda amecheka
Magunia
#73 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 1:04:46 PM

Mukiri wrote:
Magunia wrote:
TheChaoos wrote:

QD wrote:
2.Use barbed wire.

I read somewhere here that if land is intended for farming kei-apple has a vast root system that can interfere.

I did Eucalptus (Cedar much better - long-lasting and less bulky to carry) and planted Finger Euphorbia (Can also be used as bio-pesticide) and cactus(Medicinal and Fruits are bought, some source of income)

My confusion is now compounded. Eucalyptus has a bad reputation for being a very thirsty plant. If kei apple is bad for farming then it follows that eucalyptus is worse, ama? In places that receive little rainfall such as Laikipia I think it would be catastrophic to plant eucalyptus, no?
Now I wish Wazua allowed pictures because they're really worth a thousand words
Mukiri
#74 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:08:40 PM

Magunia wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Magunia wrote:
TheChaoos wrote:

QD wrote:
2.Use barbed wire.

My confusion is now compounded. Eucalyptus has a bad reputation for being a very thirsty plant. If kei apple is bad for farming then it follows that eucalyptus is worse, ama? In places that receive little rainfall such as Laikipia I think it would be catastrophic to plant eucalyptus, no?

Treated poles, boss. Treated fencing poles. Dead. For live trees along the fence, I fancy the Ashoka. That tree is mbeotifu! And acts as a very good wind/sound breaker

Magunia
#75 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:41:04 PM

Mukiri wrote:
Magunia wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Magunia wrote:
TheChaoos wrote:

QD wrote:
2.Use barbed wire.

Treated poles, boss. Treated fencing poles. Dead. For live trees along the fence, I fancy the Ashoka. That tree is mbeotifu! And acts as a very good wind/sound breaker

Nimekupata.
My dilemma with kei-apple fence is what one brother mentioned earlier, that it will be competing with crops for water and nutrients; I'm curious how aggressive it is. 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌳🌳🌳🌳
Do you know?
mmarto
#76 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 9:49:38 AM

Magunia wrote:

My dilemma with kei-apple fence is what one brother mentioned earlier, that it will be competing with crops for water and nutrients; I'm curious how aggressive it is. 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌳🌳🌳🌳
Do you know?

Hi. Kei apple not bad. Kwangu i use it as fence kwa shamba and no problems. Blue gum is the thirsty one and ruins crops...as does black wattle and cypress. But blue gum is worst.
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
majimaji
#77 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 12:37:58 PM

mmarto wrote:
Magunia wrote:

Do you know?

Hi. Kei apple not bad. Kwangu i use it as fence kwa shamba and no problems. Blue gum is the thirsty one and ruins crops...as does black wattle and cypress. But blue gum is worst.

Kei-apple is good and effective. Just requires trimming from time to time.
Magunia
#78 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:57:47 AM

mmarto wrote:
Magunia wrote:

Do you know?

Thank you thank you. I'll fence using kei apple
Magunia
#79 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:04:31 AM

majimaji wrote:
mmarto wrote:
Magunia wrote:

Do you know?

Yes I read here that trimming is a tedious job. I only remember school workers in my kanjo primary School trimming them. I look forward to owning a fence like the one that was in my school.
Magunia
#80 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:08:35 AM

majimaji wrote:
mmarto wrote:
Magunia wrote:

Do you know?

Yes I read here that trimming is a tedious job. I only remember school workers in my kanjo primary School trimming them. I look forward to owning a fence like the one that was in my school.