wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
USD/KES trend
Swenani
#21 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 10:54:01 AM

Ericsson wrote:
And repayments start in end of December/early January.
Iko watu watachelewa kupata mshahara

watu wa loan watalilia kwa choo
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
KulaRaha
#22 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:08:25 AM

Rumour has it the front-loaded SGR loan is already in arrears since June.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
mlennyma
#23 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:14:54 AM

KulaRaha wrote:

every financial analyst agrees jubilee has messed our economy,while every jubilee supporter says we better go down with power in their pockets,my lay mans view is that the SGR is important but could have waited longer,infact the money being spend on it is supposed to be making mombasa road a dual carriage all the way to mombasa which could be way cheaper before we can embark on the SGR afterwards
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
KulaRaha
#24 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:19:26 AM

mlennyma wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

every financial analyst agrees jubilee has messed our economy,while every jubilee supporter says we better go down with power in their pockets

But Aly Khan Satchu has become a cheerleader for this Govt. He thinks everything is hunky dory.
mlennyma
#25 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:22:31 AM

KulaRaha wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

every financial analyst agrees jubilee has messed our economy,while every jubilee supporter says we better go down with power in their pockets

But Aly Khan Satchu has become a cheerleader for this Govt. He thinks everything is hunky dory.

this SGR is one killer since the returns on it might take ages to match its cost
Ericsson
#26 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:25:11 AM

We have defaulted on the front-loaded SGR loan and we are signing an additional $1.4bn to extend the railway line to Naivasha.
How will we then pay;the next president unless he is not a Magufuli type watu wataitana
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
mlennyma
#27 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:31:14 AM

Ericsson wrote:
We have defaulted on the front-loaded SGR loan and we are signing an additional $1.4bn to extend the railway line to Naivasha.
How will we then pay;the next president unless he is not a Magufuli type watu wataitana

we will eat our tribal chiefs Sad who have no leadership ideas even carrying out irrigation is difficult for them and the money disappears with nothing to show of it.
hisah
#28 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:39:28 AM

Ericsson wrote:

KE Eurobond yield has zoomed past 9%. Almost doubling?! The bloodbath won't be funny. Where are the extra USDs going to come from with the econ on a slump for the rapidly inflating interest payment?

If what @kularaha states that CBK will be buying USD from the market soon, USDKES will head back towards 110 or higher! Should another banking event unfold, those fireworks will fry the market.

This is why I have become very defensive (not touching any risky assets) coz gok will not observe any fiscal discipline in this expected storm and with an election coming up.
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
mlennyma
#29 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 11:46:48 AM

hisah wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

KE Eurobond yield has zoomed past 9%. Almost doubling?! The bloodbath won't be funny. Where are the extra USDs going to come from with the econ on a slump for the rapidly inflating interest payment?

If what @kularaha states that CBK will be buying USD from the market soon, USDKES will head back towards 110 or higher! Should another banking event unfold, those fireworks will fry the market.

This is why I have become very defensive (not touching any risky assets) coz gok will not observe any fiscal discipline in this expected storm and with an election coming up.

give us some hope men ,this is scaring ,the best thing is that by 2017 the dying gvt will not hide its sehemu nyeti as its doing now most maturity dates will have come
Ericsson
#30 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 1:06:59 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com...bonds-lose-most-in-world
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
hisah
#31 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 2:11:28 PM

Ericsson wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-10/who-took-the-money-spat-roils-kenya-as-bonds-lose-most-in-world

You should have posted the graph so that people see the crazy yield rally!

$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
hisah
#32 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 2:20:29 PM

mlennyma wrote:
hisah wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

give us some hope men ,this is scaring ,the best thing is that by 2017 the dying gvt will not hide its sehemu nyeti as its doing now most maturity dates will have come

Hope has never and will never be an investment strategy. You should be pissed off by the bogus political incompetence that is ruining the future generations.
Liv
#33 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2015 12:10:15 PM

hisah wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
hisah wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Hope has never and will never be an investment strategy. You should be pissed off by the bogus political incompetence that is ruining the future generations.

@Hisa,
I think you are just too alarmist. I thought the bond price has just dropped as there are more sellers than buyers in the international bond markets. .. The drop resulted in the yield going up as the prices are lower than the bond face value. I wish I had some idle cash ...... I would buy some now. How does that affect the repayment? The only major effect of this would be the high interest for future bonds if the government went for more eurobond funds.
Liv
#34 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2015 12:13:58 PM

hisah wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
hisah wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

@Hisa,
I think you are just too alarmist. I thought the bond price has just dropped as there are more sellers than buyers in the international bond markets. .. The drop resulted in the yield going up as the prices are lower than the bond face value. I wish I had some idle cash ...... I would buy some now. How does that affect the repayment? The only major effect of this would be the high interest for future bonds if the government went for more eurobond funds.
grahamsdisciple
#35 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2015 12:32:37 PM

Liv wrote:
hisah wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
hisah wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

@Hisa,

@Hisah is just being realistic, there's no room for "positive vibes" in investments and financial management. It's just cold hard facts. The yield has risen and it will rise even further. The funds have most likely been wasted. Now we're going back to investors in 2017/18 to seek a roll-over or just repay their interest. Let's analyse both options, if we roll-over the funds, Investors will be put off by the fact that the funds were largely unaccounted for plus by that time USD rates will be much higher in additional to any sovereign risk that may arise from elections. Therefore we may have to roll-over at 10-11% in USD. This will be painful. The other option is we pay it back in full. So essentially given our current account position we have to buy dollars locally from the market using KES so as to raise 2.75 billion (+ final interest) therefore the shilling may crash.

As Buffett said, if you borrow to buy things you don't need you will eventually have to sell the things that you need. That's where we are.

So essentially we may have to get into an IMF program in 2017/18 and that's very likely given current finance honchos and the president have very good relationships with the IMF. They will curtail government expenditures and limit credit growth and the economy will suffer.
lochaz-index
#36 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2015 1:00:00 PM

hisah wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
hisah wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

@mlennyma,I do feel your pain but I fear we are getting to the point where an investor either decides to bail out or be prepared to die severally before we see light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing ones risk appetite is paramount going forward.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
Othelo
#37 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2015 2:00:07 PM

grahamsdisciple wrote:
Liv wrote:
hisah wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
hisah wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

@Hisa,

@Hisah is just being realistic, there's no room for "positive vibes" in investments and financial management. It's just cold hard facts. The yield has risen and it will rise even further. The funds have most likely been wasted. Now we're going back to investors in 2017/18 to seek a roll-over or just repay their interest. Let's analyse both options, if we roll-over the funds, Investors will be put off by the fact that the funds were largely unaccounted for plus by that time USD rates will be much higher in additional to any sovereign risk that may arise from elections. Therefore we may have to roll-over at 10-11% in USD. This will be painful. The other option is we pay it back in full. So essentially given our current account position we have to buy dollars locally from the market using KES so as to raise 2.75 billion (+ final interest) therefore the shilling may crash.

As Buffett said, if you borrow to buy things you don't need you will eventually have to sell the things that you need. That's where we are.

So essentially we may have to get into an IMF program in 2017/18 and that's very likely given current finance honchos and the president have very good relationships with the IMF. They will curtail government expenditures and limit credit growth and the economy will suffer.

@Liv your last sentence captures exactly what @hisah has been propagating (for lack of a better word) if you have been reading his comments in total. So i dont see where 'alarmist' is coming from. It is obvious this gave will need to borrow massively next year, where will they get the 'cheap' money from? Anyway let us wait and see who so right today in predicting the future smile
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
Mukiri
#38 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 9:46:31 PM

Is this the proverbial 'little bird' whispering that the $ might be on another upward trajectory?

Proverbs 19:21
KulaRaha
#39 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 7:27:47 AM

Back on the desk, I can see the market has been listless. I'm sure there will be direction in February once the reality of repayments checks in. USD at 105?