Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages«<45678>»
2 Stocks for life
enyands
#101 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 1:06:36 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@Enyands
In the beginning of 2012 Co-op was at 12.I bought the share at that price.
During the announcement of full year results they issued a dividend and bonus of 1:5.At the end of the 1 year period the counter was trading at 20 inclusive of the bonus.
Do the maths and tell me whether it's not a doubling.

I am trying without success to post a graph from myStocks for DTB vs Coop vs Equity vs Centum from 2 Jan 2012 to 18 Dec 2015 .

At various times I have held all 4 in my portfolio but Centum has done the best followed by Equity then DTB. Coop is lagging the field during this timeframe.

As @enyands says, there have been some spectacular gains for DTB during this time frame + a cheap Rights Issue to give it some kick!

https://live.mystocks.co...ty,icdc;corp;w=628;lgnd

From 2 Jan 2012 to 31 Dec 2012

https://live.mystocks.co...ty,icdc;corp;w=628;lgnd

DTB & Equity beat out Coop. Centum trails Coop.

@vvs thank you
enyands
#102 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:30:56 PM

sparkly wrote:
enyands wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Othelo wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Add on top of that WTO in Nairobi have hit a deadlock on a number of issues favouring developing countries like us.
China gave us the sh.10.5bn loan so that we don't raise any issue about unfair practices to nations like us.

What do you expect when wolves are negotiating with lambs.

Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans. Stop extending begging bowls to our first/second world cousins

I have always wondered why Africa cannot organise themselves and create some serious trading block and development fund!!!

Exactly!

Trade between Africa and the west is heavily tilted in favour of the west. The west buys raw materials (never finished goods) then sells back finished goods.

African products are faced with Tariff and Non tariff barriers in the west.

Intra African trade on mutually beneficial terms can fast track development. e.g. South Sudan to sell oil to Kenya, Kenyan banks to provide development capital in SS.

This is practical written wise ,but on the ground just to let you know the west Will never allow this to happen.kwani where do you think they will sell their finished product if you depend on each other.should someone try that sinister move they will slap you with bans and trade embargos. Ask Gaddafi.he tried to make sure that Africa depends on herself ...they got rid of him very fast. We need people like Tom Sankara and the pan African leaders .

It's very possible and its happening. Uganda is now No. 1 destination of Kenyan exports.

If you buy maize from your neighbor and go to posho mill and grind it and sell it kwa soko, unga as a company won't pay attention to you .but if start doing it in large scale like buying a million bags processing and bagging it then you will have ungas attention .
Back to my point trading with Uganda is a small fish in a big ocean. But should you start importing oil from Sudan selling maize to them ,buying weapons from South Africa and not west ,then slowly they will pay some vigilante some money and there will be crisis like resources rich countries congo, south sudan,ivory coast ,Nigeria ,Angola,whose funding all this of course it's well documented and known ,it's the west.
So to answer you question we are safe for now. Because we r dealing with unga kidogo .should we cross that threshold then kenya will be new kid in the block after Akina congo .
Have you ever wondered why any country in Africa that has large deposit of minerals has no peace whatsoever.there will only be peace if and only if the west have legally acquired those shares with crocodile grip and unhooking then leads to massive sanctions and international lawsuits. Buhari the new Nigerian president thought it's easy to unhook the BP and shell companies from the second world producer of oil but he gave up and is dancing to their tune.
I'll leave you with this video ,ggo watch it and come post to me .

Watch "Change your channel | Mallence Bart-Williams | TE…" on YouTube
Change your channel | Mallence Bart-Williams | TE…: http://youtu.be/AfnruW7yERA
sparkly
#103 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 3:56:15 PM

enyands wrote:
sparkly wrote:
enyands wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Othelo wrote:
sparkly wrote:
[quote=Ericsson]Add on top of that WTO in Nairobi have hit a deadlock on a number of issues favouring developing countries like us.
China gave us the sh.10.5bn loan so that we don't raise any issue about unfair practices to nations like us.

Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans. Stop extending begging bowls to our first/second world cousins

I have always wondered why Africa cannot organise themselves and create some serious trading block and development fund!!!

Exactly!

Trade between Africa and the west is heavily tilted in favour of the west. The west buys raw materials (never finished goods) then sells back finished goods.

Intra African trade on mutually beneficial terms can fast track development. e.g. South Sudan to sell oil to Kenya, Kenyan banks to provide development capital in SS.

This is practical written wise ,but on the ground just to let you know the west Will never allow this to happen.kwani where do you think they will sell their finished product if you depend on each other.should someone try that sinister move they will slap you with bans and trade embargos. Ask Gaddafi.he tried to make sure that Africa depends on herself ...they got rid of him very fast. We need people like Tom Sankara and the pan African leaders .

It's very possible and its happening. Uganda is now No. 1 destination of Kenyan exports.

If you buy maize from your neighbor and go to posho mill and grind it and sell it kwa soko, unga as a company won't pay attention to you .but if start doing it in large scale like buying a million bags processing and bagging it then you will have ungas attention .
Back to my point trading with Uganda is a small fish in a big ocean. But should you start importing oil from Sudan selling maize to them ,buying weapons from South Africa and not west ,then slowly they will pay some vigilante some money and there will be crisis like resources rich countries congo, south sudan,ivory coast ,Nigeria ,Angola,whose funding all this of course it's well documented and known ,it's the west.
So to answer you question we are safe for now. Because we r dealing with unga kidogo .should we cross that threshold then kenya will be new kid in the block after Akina congo .
Have you ever wondered why any country in Africa that has large deposit of minerals has no peace whatsoever.there will only be peace if and only if the west have legally acquired those shares with crocodile grip and unhooking then leads to massive sanctions and international lawsuits. Buhari the new Nigerian president thought it's easy to unhook the BP and shell companies from the second world producer of oil but he gave up and is dancing to their tune.

Change your channel | Mallence Bart-Williams | TE…: http://youtu.be/AfnruW7yERA[/quote]

@enyands nice write-up. That's why I said "Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans".It will not be easy but it can be done with concerted effort and the will to do what it takes to succeed.

Let us however not make excuses for mediocrity by blaming the West for Africa's under development. The reasons why Africa lags in development are mostly self inflicted and have been discussed exhaustively on another Wazua thread.

Just 50-60 years ago, Europe and Japan had been bombed back into the stone age. Saudi Arabia, S. Korea and Singapore were 3rd world countries...
Life is short. Live passionately.
sparkly
#104 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 5:33:38 PM

UPDATE! Safaricom's popularity surges. KQ ties with Equity for popularity, how now? Jubilee joins the pretty gals parade to tie with KP and NSE.

The list is as below, present prices included.

STOCK VOTES (No.) - PRICE
Safaricom - 12 - 16.60
KCB - 8 - 39.75
Bamburi - 5 - 176
EABL - 5 - 275
Equity - 4 - 39.25
KQ - 4 - 4.5

Kenya Power - 3 - 12.95
NSE - 3 - 24.75
Jubilee - 3 - 500

Others : Mumias(2), BAT (2), Kenol (1), CIC (1), BBK (1), EAGAADS (1), WTK (1), Kenya Re (1), Unga (1), SCB(1), Centum (1), HFC(1)

Total Votes = 61
Life is short. Live passionately.
Spikes
#105 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 5:41:13 PM

I can not vote for Safaricom because technology keeps changing and new ideas may come and make the telco obsolete but no way we can have artificial sugar so MSC remains my top notch choice .
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
enyands
#106 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 5:46:03 PM

sparkly wrote:
enyands wrote:
sparkly wrote:
enyands wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Othelo wrote:
sparkly wrote:
[quote=Ericsson]Add on top of that WTO in Nairobi have hit a deadlock on a number of issues favouring developing countries like us.

Exactly!

Change your channel | Mallence Bart-Williams | TE…: http://youtu.be/AfnruW7yERA[/quote]

@enyands nice write-up. That's why I said "Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans".It will not be easy but it can be done with concerted effort and the will to do what it takes to succeed.

Let us however not make excuses for mediocrity by blaming the West for Africa's under development. The reasons why Africa lags in development are mostly self inflicted and have been discussed exhaustively on another Wazua thread.

Just 50-60 years ago, Europe and Japan had been bombed back into the stone age. Saudi Arabia, S. Korea and Singapore were 3rd world countries...

Hapo umenena. You know most problems we have in Africa sio ati people are lazy ama we blame the west ,no ,no .we have leaders who mortgage our resources to the west.the likes of Sani abacha govt of Nigeria signing BP contract for many many years . In a class if someone is always number one it will be wrong to say the guys number last failures is because of number one dorminance, no its because number last guys aren't smart or they are just lazy.

We aren't blaming the west no ,it's our leaders who are misled with the west with little kickbacks inform of "chicken" and they shaft us. If you can read about Tom Sankara he had a good vision for his country but his fellow Africans killed him.
So sparkly we have disagreed to agree finally .smile
VituVingiSana
#107 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:42:36 PM

Fellow Africans have killed many other (progressive) Africans. Many blame the West but without the SUPPORT of AFRICANS they could and would not have succeeded be it Patrice Lumumba or Thomas Sankara.

Look at Kenya where leading lights were extinguished in the 60s by willing & complicit KENYANS. Or in Uganda during the 60s & 70s by willing and complicit UGANDANS.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#108 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:43:38 PM

Spikes wrote:
I can not vote for Safaricom because technology keeps changing and new ideas may come and make the telco obsolete but no way we can have artificial sugar so MSC remains my top notch choice .

High Fructose Corn Syrup has supplanted sugar in the USA.
Then there is Stevia among other sweeteners.
In Europe sugar is produced from sugar beets.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
enyands
#109 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 8:29:57 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Spikes wrote:

I have one fear .I might be wrong though. With this development of SGR railway it will mean buses from coast will be out of business because most people will use sgr coz it might be faster and cheaper.is there a posibility of sabotage by transport owners eg hire goons to subotage the railway and also what is govt doing to prevent such a thing?
Coz I know at one point in machakos county some goons were hired to put potholes on tarmac that the governor had made so that it can be seen he hired a showdy contractors .just thinking a loud
VituVingiSana
#110 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 3:00:31 PM

enyands wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Spikes wrote:

I have one fear .I might be wrong though. With this development of SGR railway it will mean buses from coast will be out of business because most people will use sgr coz it might be faster and cheaper.is there a posibility of sabotage by transport owners eg hire goons to subotage the railway and also what is govt doing to prevent such a thing?
Coz I know at one point in machakos county some goons were hired to put potholes on tarmac that the governor had made so that it can be seen he hired a showdy contractors .just thinking a loud

#ThisIsKenya
ForSport2
#111 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 3:31:18 PM

I'd settle for :
1. Kenya Power
2. Safaricom
Aguytrying
#112 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 9:33:16 PM

It baffles me why Kenya Power and KQ is on anyones list, especially with the recent past in mind. Unless one believes that gova will in your lifetime run companies well and not into the ground, a risk too great to Take
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Ericsson
#113 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 9:35:54 PM

With Arap Mashamba in power keep off companies where he has his cronies in mgt
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
enyands
#114 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 10:00:02 PM

Ericsson wrote:

Arap hyena Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
obiero
#115 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 10:14:26 PM

enyands wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Arap hyena Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Hahahhaahhahahahahahahaha

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
ForSport2
#116 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 10:30:48 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
It baffles me why Kenya Power and KQ is on anyones list, especially with the recent past in mind. Unless one believes that gova will in your lifetime run companies well and not into the ground, a risk too great to Take

I'm also baffled smile . They are green despite all that inefficiency. Plus they are a monopoly. And a utility. Plus even when I hate them I can't do without them. Plus I believed
These Guys, and
This guy, and
These ones also
Slightly dated reports but few really bad things said about them.
Aguytrying
#117 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 10:36:53 PM

ForSport2 wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

I'm also baffled smile . They are green despite all that inefficiency. Plus they are a monopoly. And a utility. Plus even when I hate them I can't do without them. Plus I believed
These Guys, and
This guy, and
These ones also

All the analysis is great but it comes to zero when the company is not aligned to protecting and creating shareholder value, and that's what u need for a lifetime stock
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
VituVingiSana
#118 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 11:04:27 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
ForSport2 wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

These Guys, and
This guy, and
These ones also

All the analysis is great but it comes to zero when the company is not aligned to protecting and creating shareholder value, and that's what u need for a lifetime stock

@Aguy - Applause Applause Applause LIFETIME

@ForSport - The recommendations may be valid (& logical) for the timeframes they indicated BUT we are discussing LIFETIME. I do not trust in another gov't entity called NSSF so am I going to trust GoK to also run my 'lifetime' [aka Retirement] investment? NO.

I have KK as a core holding and even though the price hasn't increased for a long time I am a-OK with the company's performance. The price will reflect that one day.

KPLC's performance is very good for its current share price BUT the Board & Management is appointed by politicians whose interests are often inimical to mine. For a LIFETIME stock, I cannot live with that.

KQ - I have said all that is to be said.
ForSport2
#119 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:07:52 PM

@Aguytrying & VVS
I stand advised.
KPLC is my siren stock. You see reason, you understand the arguments but you decide to emotionally invest :). How can a monopoly offering an essential service goof? I'm in love with electricity. For life.
enyands
#120 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:42:16 PM

ForSport2 wrote:
@Aguytrying & VVS
I stand advised.
KPLC is my siren stock. You see reason, you understand the arguments but you decide to emotionally invest :). How can a monopoly offering an essential service goof? I'm in love with electricity. For life.

the day you hear the monopoly is broken then that's the time to quit and run. But for now stay put