wazua Wed, May 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The jobs are not just there !!!
young
#1 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 7:42:41 PM

I am in a paid employment,I have been with my company since 1988, a good one but I plan to quit in a few years.
From the look of things, to get such a job now is almost impossible because :-
- Merit is no longer the utmost consideration
quite unlike our days. I was interviewed and employed right in my final year in the university.

- The jobs are not just there,either here in African countries, Europe, or America where there is 2 positions, 200,000 people will apply for these two slots.

MY THOUGHTS
The way out for the future generation is entrepreneurship, unfortunately these are not taught in our higher institutions.
One have to look beyond paid employment, this require mental preparation, acquiring certain skill relevant to your chosen trade, seed capital, a testing time, might be while a students before you venture fully.
The way out is SME.
Often I pity and feel for the younger generation especially in Africa, where there is no unemployment benefits, or social welfare funds, the future is just very bleak.
The way out is to channel your thoughts toward
certain skills and interest and think of the wherewithal to translate them legitimately to bobs at least to survive.
It is not absolutely necessary for you to practice what you learnt in school.
I give Kudos to the deal, a Namibian national in Kenya, he / she used the initial funds given to him /her(likely by sponsors) to acquire a laptop to rather buy shares in NSE as he is a university student in Kenya, luckily for him he was able to buy the laptop much later.
The younger generation have to minimize consumption and optimise savings. Money is not meant only to be spent, it can be saved, and it can be used to get more money.
I really pity the young ones without entrpreneurship skills and financial intelligence, I really do.

Entrepreneurship (self employment) is it.
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
kenmac
#2 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 8:53:18 PM

>> Thank you @Young for the eye opening piece.
......Ecclesiastes
youcan'tstopusnow
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:41:44 PM

young wrote:
The younger generation have to minimize consumption and optimize savings. Money is not meant only to be spent, it can be saved, and it can be used to get more money.
I really pity the young ones without entrepreneurship skills and financial intelligence, I really do.

That's true young. The youth just spend TOO MUCH nowadays. And if they can be this reckless with money that is not theirs, I wonder what they will do when they get their own money (if they ever do). Any warnings you give them are met with retorts of "You must enjoy life. You only get to live once". They need to learn the basics of 'Saving and Investing'. Without this, they will suffer in life, sorry to say. Life is not all about sex and alcohol
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
dunkang
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 05, 2015 10:19:00 PM

young wrote:
I am in a paid employment,I have been with my company since 1988, a good one but I plan to quit in a few years.
quite unlike our days. I was interviewed and employed right in my final year in the university.

- The jobs are not just there,either here in African countries, Europe, or America where there is 2 positions, 200,000 people will apply for these two slots.

MY THOUGHTS
The way out for the future generation is entrepreneurship, unfortunately these are not taught in our higher institutions.
One have to look beyond paid employment, this require mental preparation, acquiring certain skill relevant to your chosen trade, seed capital, a testing time, might be while a students before you venture fully.
The way out is SME.
Often I pity and feel for the younger generation especially in Africa, where there is no unemployment benefits, or social welfare funds, the future is just very bleak.
certain skills and interest and think of the wherewithal to translate them legitimately to bobs at least to survive.
I give Kudos to the deal, a Namibian national in Kenya, he / she used the initial funds given to him /her(likely by sponsors) to acquire a laptop to rather buy shares in NSE as he is a university student in Kenya, luckily for him he was able to buy the laptop much later.
The younger generation have to minimize consumption and optimise savings. Money is not meant only to be spent, it can be saved, and it can be used to get more money.
I really pity the young ones without entrpreneurship skills and financial intelligence, I really do.

For those that came in a bit late, there was once an old man called young.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

jerry
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 05, 2015 10:42:54 PM

@young was a young man but he is now old!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#6 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 7:57:19 AM

last weekend there was a graduation party for 50k at my pals ......nione mtu analia hakuna kazi months down the line
Ali Baba
#7 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 1:25:30 PM

young wrote:

MY THOUGHTS
The way out is SME.

Mr Young,waa!! You worked in one company since 1988??? Between that time and today,I worked in 45 different companies.Today,I'm retired.
Lolest!
#8 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 1:59:03 PM

Ali Baba wrote:
Mr Young,waa!! You worked in one company since 1988??? Between that time and today,I worked in 45 different companies.Today,I'm retired.

2 employers in one year averageSad
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Wakanyugi
#9 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 3:43:13 PM

Ali Baba wrote:
young wrote:

MY THOUGHTS
The way out is SME.

Mr Young has left the building

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
MaichBlack
#10 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 3:52:53 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Ali Baba wrote:

Most employers call such a person UNEMPLOYABLE. Very few employers are interested in an employee who changes jobs every 6 months! Even every year!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#11 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 3:55:08 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
last weekend there was a graduation party for 50k at my pals ......nione mtu analia hakuna kazi months down the line

Enough capital for a kabiashara. You can only hope there is much more where that came from. If there is, no problem. If there isn't...
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#12 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 4:13:51 PM

A friend of mine told me how he survived in Nairobi immediately after campus and I don't think most of these over grown babies can pull it off.

The guy is not from Nairobi and although he has some relatives in Nairobi, he had sworn not to put up with any of them. He had already made a decision to stay in Nairobi after clearing Campus and he did his scouting in the 4th and 5th years in Campus.

He saved as much as he could from his HELB money and did some tu small biasharas in Campo. Just before he cleared campus, he rented a one room house in Githurai 45 and bought a few things - mattress, stove, sufurias etc.

When he cleared, he moved in. He had already identified a location he could put up a kibanda. He could wake up very early in the morning - I think like 4:00 am (I forget the actual time) - and go to the Githurai market to buy mboga, tomatoes, the works - grocery stuff - and deliver them to his kibanda. He would the clean up and start job hunting - dropping CVs, Interviews, "Ambushing" prospective employees etc. He would the go back home in the afternoon, maybe catch a few hours of sleep (If time allows) then open his kibanda till late. He could kata kata mboga and stuff yet he is a man from a background that frowns against such stuff. But the guy had to survive!

He did that till he got a job. As we speak, he has property all over - from Lamu, Mombasa, Nairobi to his rural county - and is building one hell of a home - no loan!!!
They guy still works like he is still in Githurai 45! Anything that can make an extra coin and he is there. And he will work like there is no tomorrow!!

Tell current graduates to do that! Aonwe na akina nani amebeba gunia?? He would rather live in his father's SQ till he is 35!!!!
mkenyan
#13 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 5:52:12 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
A friend of mine told me how he survived in Nairobi immediately after campus and I don't think most of these over grown babies can pull it off.

The guy is not from Nairobi and although he has some relatives in Nairobi, he had sworn not to put up with any of them. He had already made a decision to stay in Nairobi after clearing Campus and he did his scouting in the 4th and 5th years in Campus.

He saved as much as he could from his HELB money and did some tu small biasharas in Campo. Just before he cleared campus, he rented a one room house in Githurai 45 and bought a few things - mattress, stove, sufurias etc.

When he cleared, he moved in. He had already identified a location he could put up a kibanda. He could wake up very early in the morning - I think like 4:00 am (I forget the actual time) - and go to the Githurai market to buy mboga, tomatoes, the works - grocery stuff - and deliver them to his kibanda. He would the clean up and start job hunting - dropping CVs, Interviews, "Ambushing" prospective employees etc. He would the go back home in the afternoon, maybe catch a few hours of sleep (If time allows) then open his kibanda till late. He could kata kata mboga and stuff yet he is a man from a background that frowns against such stuff. But the guy had to survive!

He did that till he got a job. As we speak, he has property all over - from Lamu, Mombasa, Nairobi to his rural county - and is building one hell of a home - no loan!!!
They guy still works like he is still in Githurai 45! Anything that can make an extra coin and he is there. And he will work like there is no tomorrow!!

Tell current graduates to do that! Aonwe na akina nani amebeba gunia?? He would rather live in his father's SQ till he is 35!!!!

you and mawinder. same coin. just different sides.
MaichBlack
#14 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 8:19:03 PM

mkenyan wrote:

Meaning?? Please explain. I am lost.
Swenani
#15 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 9:44:58 PM

Ali Baba wrote:
young wrote:

MY THOUGHTS
The way out is SME.

waaah, how does your Cv look like.seems like you were forced to retire because you had worked for all companies in Kenyasmile smile
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Ali Baba
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 2:18:58 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Ali Baba wrote:

Most employers call such a person UNEMPLOYABLE. Very few employers are interested in an employee who changes jobs every 6 months! Even every year!!!
I quit on my own.And FYI,my last job was paying very well. I left to start my own thing and no regrets.
nakujua
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 2:57:01 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Ali Baba wrote:

smile I think depends on the field, I blitzed through 7 employers from 2008-2012 before I took a break to evaluate my employability - now @ali baba has given me courage, I will try go back into the job market next year again.
mawinder
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 3:29:52 PM

mkenyan wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

I am interested in this background.
MaichBlack
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:00:56 PM

mawinder wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

I am interested in this background.

@mawinder - There are some communities that are very specific/strict on the roles each gender plays. He is from one such community. In his community a man katakataing mboga and viazi is a big no!!!

I know this applies to most Kenyan/African communities but some are more strict than others. Some are a bit Liberal.