wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tax puzzle.
Kamaa
#1 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 8:02:28 AM

Good people, help out!

There is Company A & B.
Company A owns 67.5% of company B.
Company A is owned by 7 foreign investors (each of the five shareholders owns 16%, the other two owns 12% & 8% respectively). All of them are Kenyan residents.

Company B, Pays dividend of Kshs. 100M thus company A receives 67.5M. It retains 37.5M and pays dividend of 30M to its shareholders.

What is the tax due on company A, B and the 7 investors?

Kindly assist.
When you hear what I say, you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend
muganda
#2 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 8:38:00 AM

Let me try assist... Wazuans correct where I lie too much.

Company A supposed to pay 30% corporate tax before dividends. Further, company A should submit 5% withholding tax for any dividends paid to their shareholders holding less than 12.5% of shares.

Company B will receive dividend income and has to show this in its Profit & Loss. Company B needs to pay 30% corporate tax - dividend income excluded in calculating taxable income.
In distributing dividends, 5% withholding tax withheld for shareholders with less than 12.5%

Since all investors are Kenyan residents, they'll be required to file their self-assessment returns. If your 5% was withheld, requisite form attached with return to offset your obligations.

If no amount was withheld, dividend income shown on self-assessment return and netted off from allowable expenses to determine what 'balance of tax' you owe.
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 8:54:36 AM

@muganda - In the case of Company B... Why wouldn't the final dividend distribution to shareholders owning above 12.5% have W/tax withheld?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Kamaa
#4 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 9:21:40 AM

well, i don't know whether i am wrong (that's why i sought for your opinions) but this is my take.

Company B: dividend expense (100M) is paid out of profit after tax.
since it's paying corporates owning over 12.5% then NO w/tax.

Company A: Dividend income (67.5M) is qualifying dividend thus not taxable.
Upon re-distributing the received dividend to its shareholders (natural persons), regardless of their holdings it will withhold tax at 5% which will be final to those individuals.
BUT, i understand there is a provision in the income tax for SUBSTITUTE TAX (and i am advised that it will apply on this case)..

Kindly assist where possible..
When you hear what I say, you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend
muganda
#5 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 10:55:08 AM

Aaah I see my assumption - 12.5% issue applies only if shareholders are incorporated (companies and not individuals)

@VituVingiSana, no withholding tax is imposed if recipient is a qualifying Kenyan institution or resident recipient company controls 12.5% or more of the payer.

@Kamaa, I've never heard of a substitute tax in KRA. Refer to a quick tax guide http://www.deloitte.com/...ighlight_2010_Kenya.pdf
Kamaa
#6 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 11:25:30 AM

@muganda

I too have never heard of it but a certain consultant mentioned something of the sort..

I've called KRA and they seems not sure..
Mkimwa
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:40:27 PM

MY thoughts

Company B:
Dividend expense of 100M comes out of profit after tax.

Company A:
Dividend income of 67.5m is not taxable, because it owns > 12.5% of the company paying dividend. However, if it is a financial institution - then this amount will be subject to tax at corporate taxation rate.

Shareholders of Company A:
Locals (assuming residents) - 12% and 8% - Company A should deduct withhold tax at WT rate for qualifying dividends of 5%.
Foreigners (assuming non-residents) - 16% each - Company A should deduct withhold tax at the rate of 10%.
bkismat
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:52:48 AM

Some lawyer wins a 3.4 Billion legal fees from the GOKSick; and is promptly slapped with a 2.8 Billion shilling tax bill. How is that possible. I thought Ceaser takes upto a maximum of about 30%. AndPray how does one run up such a bill or is the GOK always this generous. Any learned friend around how much is the highest that can be billed by the hour?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain