wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<4567>
Friday 27th is therefore my leave day!!!!!!!
Much Know
#101 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:43:07 PM

hardwood wrote:
I am watching the Pope at St Mary's and he has begged to address the meeting in his mother tongue spanish because his english is very poor.
I hate to use that term "inferiority complex" in my "fake psychology", i think we should be allowed to use a little psychology especially when i know obama speaks some kijaluo, came all the way to soak up his culture, why? because he is extremely confident, the examples are numerous, even the wazungu DC's complained about disruption of cultures in their house of wazungus, it seems natural to me that someone should immerse themselves in their culture, particularly if you are an independent thinker, look inwards also, otherwise when it comes to "dependency syndrome" you look outwards at the mzungu, english, the Spanish, soap opera e.t.c to give value and meaning to your life.
A New Kenya
taka jua
#102 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:49:33 PM

masukuma wrote:
taka jua wrote:

From your comment above, the queen of england must be a closet tribalist since she uses her mother tongue

Why do you people have to make references to other people? what's with the name dropping? HECK!! even the queen does not speak 'queens english' these days - EVEN SHE IS CHANGING!! TUWACHE UJINGA!

So the queen is a closet tribalist using speaking her mother tongue using SSB accent Laughing out loudly
sitaki.kujulikana
#103 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:09:37 PM

Much Know wrote:
hardwood wrote:
I am watching the Pope at St Mary's and he has begged to address the meeting in his mother tongue spanish because his english is very poor.
I hate to use that term "inferiority complex" in my "fake psychology", i think we should be allowed to use a little psychology especially when i know obama speaks some kijaluo, came all the way to soak up his culture, why? because he is extremely confident, the examples are numerous, even the wazungu DC's complained about disruption of cultures in their house of wazungus, it seems natural to me that someone should immerse themselves in their culture, particularly if you are an independent thinker, look inwards also, otherwise when it comes to "dependency syndrome" you look outwards at the mzungu, the spanish, soap opera to give value and meaning to your life, more of a "fake" psychology tells me someone is simply "shielding some dark side of the past" by hating culture, excuse me, cough! cough!..i am a fundi not psychologist

Obama soaks up the parts that are aligned to his american culture, come to think of it we only align ourselves with aspects that are modern, otherwise we would be singing fgm, wife inheritance, walking around in animal skin e.t.c. But we choose what we think is currently acceptable and call that culture, I am sure Obama would not go as far as inheriting a wife or other beliefs or practices that he does not deem fit.
sitaki.kujulikana
#104 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:17:25 PM

hardwood wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
hardwood wrote:

The pope's mother tongue is Italian, parents were Italian immigrants, Spanish is the language the country he was raised in happened to be popular.

I just quoted what he said verbatim ...that he "would use his mother-tongue spanish".

true, most likely Spanish is the language he learned first, I was confusing mother tongue with the parents native language, guess some don't necessarily identify with their parents origins, rather its where they were born and brought up.
murchr
#105 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:38:28 PM

taka jua wrote:
masukuma wrote:
taka jua wrote:

From your comment above, the queen of england must be a closet tribalist since she uses her mother tongue

Why do you people have to make references to other people? what's with the name dropping? HECK!! even the queen does not speak 'queens english' these days - EVEN SHE IS CHANGING!! TUWACHE UJINGA!

So the queen is a closet tribalist using speaking her mother tongue using SSB accent Laughing out loudly

Every language mutates due to interactions. Shakespeare's English is Medieval and is not what is spoken today and so is Kikuyu, Kamba and indeed every other language. The bottom line however remains..they are still distinct languages. And so does cultures.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Much Know
#106 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:44:24 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Much Know wrote:
hardwood wrote:
I hate to use that term "inferiority complex" in my "fake psychology", i think we should be allowed to use a little psychology especially when i know obama speaks some kijaluo, came all the way to soak up his culture, why? because he is extremely confident, the examples are numerous, even the wazungu DC's complained about disruption of cultures in their house of wazungus, it seems natural to me that someone should immerse themselves in their culture, particularly if you are an independent thinker, look inwards also, otherwise when it comes to "dependency syndrome" you look outwards at the mzungu, the spanish, soap opera to give value and meaning to your life, more of a "fake" psychology tells me someone is simply "shielding some dark side of the past" by hating culture, excuse me, cough! cough!..i am a fundi not psychologist

Obama soaks up the parts that are aligned to his american culture, come to think of it we only align ourselves with aspects that are modern, otherwise we would be singing fgm, wife inheritance, walking around in animal skin e.t.c. But we choose what we think is currently acceptable and call that culture, I am sure Obama would not go as far as inheriting a wife or other beliefs or practices that he does not deem fit.

Again culture and modern are different spheres and are not necessarily connected by time, or move with a continuum with time, that is how the "civilized' roman empire/egyptian civilization may have disappeared. Those who wrote the constitution have already considered those negative aspects for all Kenyan cultures, nobody is asking you to put on a skin, culture is an intangible thing and not a skin, they also had fashion, culture is a philosophy, language is just used to communicate it as a tool or medium, like the internet, otherwise cultural practices such as fgm potray the level of development of professional cadres of the times, the surgeons of the day, "vaginioplasty" includes modern variations of fgm such as "clitorialhoodectomy" for more pleasure e.t.c, a brazilian phd surgeon has argued this, and it is carried out in the west, a spear for instance is not a repository of the philosophy behind war, it is just an expression of the technological advancement of the ironsmiths/technologist of the day.
A New Kenya
masukuma
#107 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:15:30 PM

Enough with the name dropping!! You are not Obama! his journey through life was different. I don't think he would spend weeks trying to find out how to speak Dholuo just because he wants to fit in...if he did it would not be very wise of him. There is something people who name drop don't get! the pope speaks the language he is fluent in. it's likely he grew up where 100% of his friends spoke that language. he may have schooled in it and worked with it. Of course he is proficient and even thinks in it. How is that different from what dholuo is to a luo guy who grew up in Donny? Dholuo is the language his folks spoke to him at home! he never spoke it anywhere. He may not even know how to read it! He dreams in sheng and even his english is a word for word translation of 'kiswahili to english' and so he finds himself asking others "you are going where?"
While both are mothertongues - they are very different! One is PRACTICAL as practical as DHOLUO IS TO MAMA SERIKALI. Wewe mtu wa mjini.... ambaye huku wahijifunza kikuyu ukiwa mdogo sasa unajifunza ndio 'you fit in' would be best adviced to learn something more practical.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Much Know
#108 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:41:24 PM

All the data i can find says Chinese will be the key language in 2050, it is also expected to be the world leading economy, those are the only good data sources, followed by Spanish, English third, you have to wonder where this "professors" are getting their passion for 'english theories' and advising us to dump everything for a language that might even shrink, the same was once thought of Latin, even the French have 'refused' English, Just try telling middle easterns to dump shouting Arabic from their mosques, you may find Swahili is even more important than English, or even kikuyu by 2030. We cannot depend on what people think, going by the best philosophy, the organic languages and cultures are premium kabisa! Don't build a "tower of babel" with English as the base!
A New Kenya
masukuma
#109 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:02:02 PM

Much Know wrote:
All the data i can find says Chinese will be the key language in 2050, it is also expected to be the world leading economy, those are the facts, followed by Spanish, English third, you have to wonder where this "professors" are getting their passion for 'english theories' and advising us to dump everything for a language that might even shrink, the same was once thought of Latin, even the French have 'refused' English, Just try telling middle easterns to dump shouting Arabic from their mosques, you may find Swahili is even more important than English, or even kikuyu by 2030. We cannot depend on what people think, going by the best philosophy, the organic languages and cultures are premium kabisa! Don't build a "tower of babel" with English as the base!

unfortunately english will need to be learnt by others regardless of how chauvinistic others feel... you know why? it's the language of the internet! newer generations may not feel as strongly about somethings as you think they will. English is practical! it will be "lingua franca" lol a latin word for french to describe english. Even rwanda is changing. China is learning english sana.... the world is getting interconnected and the old nationalistic tendencies may not disappear but morph not to include language... but the future is long.
Much Know
#110 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:36:16 PM

masukuma wrote:
Much Know wrote:
All the data i can find says Chinese will be the key language in 2050, it is also expected to be the world leading economy, those are the facts, followed by Spanish, English third, you have to wonder where this "professors" are getting their passion for 'english theories' and advising us to dump everything for a language that might even shrink, the same was once thought of Latin, even the French have 'refused' English, Just try telling middle easterns to dump shouting Arabic from their mosques, you may find Swahili is even more important than English, or even kikuyu by 2030. We cannot depend on what people think, going by the best philosophy, the organic languages and cultures are premium kabisa! Don't build a "tower of babel" with English as the base!

unfortunately english will need to be learnt by others regardless of how chauvinistic others feel... you know why? it's the language of the internet! newer generations may not feel as strongly about somethings as you think they will. English is practical! it will be "lingua franca" lol a latin word for french to describe english. Even rwanda is changing. China is learning english sana.... the world is getting interconnected and the old nationalistic tendencies may not disappear but morph not to include language... but the future is long.

the "translate page" works very well on the net, google translates most pages also, obviously a problem for the english theory on the net, much less useful as a language, internet is the freest place, even when it comes to live webcast, some fellow will invent a vocal translator, killing english even more..
A New Kenya
murchr
#111 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 1:16:07 AM

masukuma wrote:
Much Know wrote:

Masukuma you of ALL people in wazua should know that the internet is not only in English its universal even in Kiswahili but with such condescending attitude I guess you never noticed. Besides that, there are plans to have the internet in ALL languages spoken on earth. Right now the majority of the content is in English but that is changing because the creators don't want to fit everybody in one box. There's much more to be gained in diversity. I'ts only people in this part of the world that don't see it.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
masukuma
#112 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 7:25:36 AM

This conversation is divided into 2 parts one that kinda believed THAT'S ALL FOLKS and another that EXTRAPOLATES ALL THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED UNTIL NOW FURTHER. Sure there will be some holdouts but if yu notice people are getting to be more aware of others. Cultural elements such as music is spreading and people will want to know what the artist was saying. Not everyone will become a native English speaker but simply because it's widely spoken the younger generation will think of it as useful to know.
urstill1
#113 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 9:13:39 AM

murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Much Know wrote:

Masukuma you of ALL people in wazua should know that the internet is not only in English its universal even in Kiswahili but with such condescending attitude I guess you never noticed. Besides that, there are plans to have the internet in ALL languages spoken on earth. Right now the majority of the content is in English but that is changing because the creators don't want to fit everybody in one box. There's much more to be gained in diversity. I'ts only people in this part of the world that don't see it.

I suppose @ Masukush meant "mother tongue" of the internet. Stuff like C++ were developed by Swedes but written in English. So for the foreseeable future, English will still be lingua franca.
murchr
#114 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 9:22:02 AM

urstill1 wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Much Know wrote:

I suppose @ Masukush meant "mother tongue" of the internet. Stuff like C++ were developed by Swedes but written in English. So for the foreseeable future, English will still be lingua franca.

Less than 1% of the internet users can read scripts, content is what matters and translating softwares are being created every day.

Anti_Burglar
#115 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 9:35:57 AM

marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:
marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:
Marko, if you think culture, democracy and politics are properly compartmentalized in this country you need to go back to sleep. I wish you sweet dreams.

Why don't you present your argument? You have practically said nothing there. You remind me of those days people used to post full-stops and the word ditto just to get more post numbers on the record.

I'm sorry you have missed it. I wish I spoke someone who was awake. I regret my wasted post.

Still not saying much I am afraid.

What if I said, "In Kenya, how a certain group of people think about say a cultural issue like circumcision affects how they vote." would I have made some sense?
Anti_Burglar
#116 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 9:37:45 AM

¿ wrote:
Oi.

Hello there?
¿
#117 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 10:10:12 AM

Anti_Burglar wrote:
¿ wrote:
Oi.

Hello there?

Hello.
Anti_Burglar
#118 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 10:23:38 AM

¿ wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:
¿ wrote:
Oi.

Hello there?

Hello.

Why the Oi?
Anti_Burglar
#119 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 10:30:55 AM

Anti_Burglar wrote:
marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:
marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:
Marko, if you think culture, democracy and politics are properly compartmentalized in this country you need to go back to sleep. I wish you sweet dreams.

Why don't you present your argument? You have practically said nothing there. You remind me of those days people used to post full-stops and the word ditto just to get more post numbers on the record.

I'm sorry you have missed it. I wish I spoke someone who was awake. I regret my wasted post.

What if I said, "In Kenya, how a certain group of people think about say a cultural issue like circumcision affects how they vote." would I have made some sense?

Have this gift from me Marko. Sweet dreams.

marko
#120 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 10:50:21 AM

Anti_Burglar wrote:
marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:
marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:

You make some sense the way you purport it happens is not so. Cultural practices like circumcision may play a part but rarely are they the determining factor. In Kenya, we try to infuse new world democracy with the traditional government system we had of Chiefdoms and kingships. More often than not these two clash with disastrous results.
WHO DARES WINS