wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<345
rabbit farming
theking
#81 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:01:32 AM

for those who took up this project,pls update us hw things r so far. really interested in starting the business
essyk
#82 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:06:11 AM

3 years later.How far??

I once researched on rabbit breeding local and intern. because I was interested too and some farmers were eager to do it seriously on condition that I assure them of market.
My findings.

1.Many local farmers are just breeding rabbits.
They do not give attention to the 'breed' and purpose.

2.Many rabbit farmers in central and ukambani are breeding rabbits for sale.
They are not selling rabbit products but whole rabbbits.
It's no wonder there is a saturation of rabbits in the market.

3.If the demand is high,why do I hear many cry they cant find market for their rabbits? One organisation representing several farmers in central kenya is facing this dilemma.
The person incharge asked me to source market abroad but it wasnt as easy as he assumed.
-Italy is a great country for rabbit meat consumption and so is Asia.
Probs is they prefer to breed their own cz its cheap and the standards required are high.
The laws are also stringent.

5. When you think Rabbit think about the value you will get out of it's PRODUCTS.Not the sungura itself.
By this I mean FUR,SKIN, MEAT and MEDICINAL VALUE.

Why so? Bcz one market may prefer fur only while another may be interested in Meat.

In SA many rabbits are bred for medicinal research.
In Europe they have these rabbits for fur.
So big,they resemble merino sheep cz they are bred purely for fur to be used in the fashion industry.
A ugandan rabbit farmer told me that he breeds rabbits for it's SKIN only!!
Don't as me what they use it for. They aren't interested in meat so if u intend on selling to them find out who you will sell ur meat to usiende loss.

Now what each farmer needs to know is the 'TYPE' of rabbit to breed to suit the market.

Don't just breed anyhow and feed them on carrots! eahc sungura depending on its purpose feeds on what catalyses the purpose.

I prefer finding the market first and doing it on contract.

Keep me posted cz it's a worthy venture.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
kenmac
#83 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 8:48:50 PM

what were the average prices for various breeds @essy

......Ecclesiastes
essyk
#84 Posted : Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:12:26 AM

kenmac wrote:
what were the average prices for various breeds @essy

didnt go that deep.

just general market research.

I bet those bred exclusively for fur are more expensive.

But the ones everybody buys here in Kenya for meat go for btwn 2 to 3k @-good variety.
You can still find some for 1K or 500 but are they quality?
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Djinn
#85 Posted : Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:21:24 AM

Seriously guys? Really? still talking about rabbits? pls look for the thread http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=8547

SMH

Djinn
#86 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 1:48:21 PM

erm...so where are the rabbit barons today? hmmm?
mungaits
#87 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:13:22 PM

@djinn, the rabbit hype was a pyramid scheme in the making. I was offered "a special breed" at Ksh 4,500 each plus lots of promises! I declined and bought some from Ngong Vet farm at Ksh 500 each. Bottom line, research and ignore the hype from the so called "experts"

My two cents
rock
#88 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:52:18 AM

I was sceptical about this rabbit biz having not been to any butchery or restaurant that sells rabbit meat or know anyone who includes it in their domestic menu.
Museveni
#89 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:53:37 PM

On a light note:

Mwalimu mmoja alikuwa yuafundisha watoto wa darasa la kwanza hesabu, akamuuliza mdogo mmoja swali.

Mwalimu:"Nikikupa sungura wawili halafu nikakuongezea tena wawili na nikuongezee tena wawili utakuwa na sungura wangapi?"

Mtoto:"Saba."

Mwalimu:"Skiza tena vizuri usiwe na haraka? (Mwalimu akarudia tena vile vile)

Mwalimu:"Na je nikikupa machungwa mawili nikupe tena mawili na nikupatie tena mawili utakuwa na machungwa mangapi?"

Mtoto:"Sita."

Mwalimu:"Aha..sasa je nikikupa sungura wawili halafu wawili tena na wawili tena utakuwa nao wangapi?

Mwalimu:"Shenzi...bure kabisa,itakuwaje saba?"

Mtoto:"Kwa sababu nyumbani nina sungura mwingine mmoja!!"

Fanya hesabu . . Hizo sungura wako nazo watapeleka wapi ?
Live and learn; and don’t forget, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Coolbull
#90 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:59:41 AM

Years down the line ,how is the rabbit business doing...for those who invested?
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#91 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:12:34 AM

ile ujanja iko kwa hii farming ? wacha tu. lol
junior121121
#92 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 9:13:52 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
ile ujanja iko kwa hii farming ? wacha tu. lol

Please share more information

What's your experience
alma1
#93 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2016 11:03:34 PM

nothing wrong with rabbit farming. It's just that Kenyans love pyramid schemes. Quick cash

Even quails is a good business. But someone lied to Kenyans that a tiny egg can be 10 times the normal egg.

Demand and supply.

Why buy a rabbit for 800 bob per kilo yet shikens are going for 400 bob a kilo? If its at 400 bob, you grow the market.

But thus far the guys I've seen in rabbits don't even sell their meat. They sell the mother rabbit. This is stupid.

There's a market for rabbit meat. But no one is looking for it. Too busy selling a rabbit for 800 bob a kilo.

Someday, one day, we are going to grow up. Rabbit farming as currently setup is a pyramid scheme. Yet, there's no better meat. No one has set up a rabbit diner in nairobi. We'd flock there.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

Boris Boyka
#94 Posted : Saturday, January 09, 2016 11:09:36 PM

I grew up knowing Rabbits & pigeons . As a youth you were to be rearing at least one of the above for you to be 'a person enough to speak before fellow youth'. My brother and I together had 87 rabbits in a hutch and 30 pigeons. Thanks to 4K clubs and compulsory Agriculture projects in primary. Not forgetting other domesticated animals and birds were a family thing. Also have grown up in Quails an enjoyable delicacy by then 2.50-5 bob by then, now its 50/-.I'll dwell on the duck. Duck and rabbit are prepared in similar manner. Slaughter today, smoke it for like 2 days then cook on 3rd day. Dry fry. NO SOUP!! Use Ash solution extract(natural) or magadi artificial to add flavor. Quails are prepared on same day and also dry fry like the above.. These 3 are the sweetest IF well prepared followed by Turkey. I was flabbergasted at how Kenyans were taken into circles of lies. Our youth days were adventurous not forgetting hunting the Hares and Birds.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!